Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-19-2019, 12:43 PM

3,841 posts, read 4,490,464 times

Advertisements

Small towns that are English village "ish" I suppose.
Cozy, local pub, small neighborhood market, and green... of course Oregon and Washington comes to mind, but Seattle and Portland is so crowded with heavy traffic, but maybe other areas? Idaho? Northern Nevada, or Utah?

We lived a few years in a small town called Crestline in the San Bernardino mountains in So. California about 20 years ago and we loved it there, and considered moving back, but the ozone pollution really bothered my asthma among other reasons we'll not move back.
But we loved the small village vibe, even if it was more rustic than "English".

Anyway, reason I'm thinking English is because my husband is from a village in Kent, and it was very charming. Hubs doesn't want to move back to England though, lol!!

I personally wouldn't mind looking at New England, but we'd need to stay in Pacific Time or Mountain Time because of hubby's work.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-19-2019, 01:09 PM

6,323 posts, read 4,857,703 times
Most of Washington and Oregon are not crowded or heavy in traffic at all. And there's plenty of greenery on the west side of the Cascade Mountains (about the western 1/3 of both states by area). The climate is similar to England as well.

That said I've traveled quite a bit and I struggle to think of any towns out here that feel remotely "English". I think the closest thing you'll find to that compact, historic feel are Old West towns like Eureka, NV; Austin, NV; and Bisbee, AZ; but those are all very remote and nothing like England in climate.

You might try looking at towns on the Olympic Peninsula like Port Angeles and Forks. Despite being small, they have a more liberal outlook and active local businesses (vs. all Wal-Marts and Burger Kings) on the main streets because of the tourists that come through, and they're definitely green and have that English climate.

Old 10-19-2019, 01:18 PM

18,492 posts, read 15,357,780 times
Lots of small towns, but not English feeling in any way, at least I can't think of any.

The closest would be across the border in British Columbia. Victoria, although a city, has neighbourhoods that have a British feel, like Oak Bay. Not sure if Canada is an option.

Head down the street in the Google Streetview of Oak Bay, to get an idea.Tudor style buildings, pubs, flower shops, tea shops etc.

https://www.google.ca/maps/@48.42653...2!8i6656?hl=en

Of course Victoria, plays on it's British roots, and is nice place to live.

Old 10-19-2019, 03:52 PM

12,769 posts, read 18,273,187 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Podo944 View Post
Small towns that are English village "ish" I suppose.
Cozy, local pub, small neighborhood market, and green... of course Oregon and Washington comes to mind, but Seattle and Portland is so crowded with heavy traffic, but maybe other areas? Idaho? Northern Nevada, or Utah?

We lived a few years in a small town called Crestline in the San Bernardino mountains in So. California about 20 years ago and we loved it there, and considered moving back, but the ozone pollution really bothered my asthma among other reasons we'll not move back.
But we loved the small village vibe, even if it was more rustic than "English".

Anyway, reason I'm thinking English is because my husband is from a village in Kent, and it was very charming. Hubs doesn't want to move back to England though, lol!!

I personally wouldn't mind looking at New England, but we'd need to stay in Pacific Time or Mountain Time because of hubby's work.
Vermont ... i realize it’s not west but Vermont takes the cake for sure. Very European

Old 10-20-2019, 12:08 AM

Thanks for the replies... yeah I may not have any luck with "English", so I may need to "settle" (oh twist my arm) for smaller rustic western type towns. Especially with rolling hills and sheep. Oops that's England again ha ha! Okay horses and cows. Need good internet though!

Love the northern coast of California, but Eureka has too many problems. We were just there actually.
The whole area is amazing visually, but not quite a fit.
Politically I'm a mixed bag and very live and let live. I can appreciate many different viewpoints. However wouldn't want to live in areas where one extreme dominates. I wouldn't choose Berkeley, Ca. Or someplace too "redneck". No offence to hicks or hippies! I have both in my family, and love them all!

Old 10-20-2019, 12:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jdawg8181 View Post
Vermont ... i realize it’s not west but Vermont takes the cake for sure. Very European
I've only seen pics and it looks so so beautiful and a place to get cozy in. Sigh, the work hours would be weird working Pacific hours. 11pm to 8pm.

Old 10-20-2019, 01:02 AM

142 posts, read 113,676 times
Your best bet in the US for English feel would be somewhere in New England. I’ve always feel Harvard square in Caimbridge, MA to be very English in feel. Also it’s just across the boarder but Victoria BC May have some of what your looking for.

Old 10-20-2019, 07:15 AM

26,835 posts, read 43,324,756 times
A town like Anacortes WA or Bainbridge Island WA would be a fit in my opinion.

Old 10-20-2019, 07:58 AM

5,005 posts, read 5,592,243 times
I'm guessing it might be expensive, but a place like Leavenworth, WA might be a fit also, even though it is German oriented, not English. Given your tastes, of course (cozy, local pub, small neighborhood market, and green)

Leavenworth, WA: https://www.google.com/maps/@47.5957...7i13312!8i6656

There's a Safeway a mile outside of town, and the town itself is pretty walkable and has plenty of small neighborhood markets and local pubs.

I get the feeling that a place like Astoria, OR might qualify as well, or if we are looking more at like mountain west, then Boulder, or Fort Collins, but then again, those are very expensive and not quite as green, and if you go further into the front range towns that are more green, it is more expensive yet.

Ironically, Beverly Hills would have originally qualified, given the fact that it was one of the primary American "garden style suburbs to follow the sort of plan that suburbs outside of London did, along with the Park Cities in Dallas, Coral Gables in Miami, Shaker Heights in Cleveland, etc. That being said, it would probably be more like Kensington-London now than the sort of British charm you seek.

There's a book about Victoria claiming it to be "More English than the English". Actually, truth be told, Toronto is probably akin to London than it would be.. and I'd say Ottawa and St. John's NL in particular have a substantial claim to being more British than Victoria is at this point, design and touristic reach aside. That said, Victoria is definitely king in Western North America. Just take a look:
https://www.google.com/maps/place/Vi...4d-123.3656444

https://www.google.com/search?q=vict...X1wMMPDyxBhmhM

https://www.google.com/maps/@48.4259...7i13312!8i6656

Plus, what could be more British than having what is considered at very least the most esteemed gardens (Butchart) in the Americas, and arguably in the world?

For the reason of being in the western time zone and close to Victoria, that scenery, moderate climate, etc. alone, I don't think you could do any better than at least being somewhere in WA.

Edit: Oh, one more. Look into Couer D'Alene, Idaho. Never been, but it sounds like a place you would like.

Old 10-20-2019, 04:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cavsfan137 View Post
I'm guessing it might be expensive, but a place like Leavenworth, WA might be a fit also, even though it is German oriented, not English. Given your tastes, of course (cozy, local pub, small neighborhood market, and green)

Leavenworth, WA: https://www.google.com/maps/@47.5957...7i13312!8i6656

There's a Safeway a mile outside of town, and the town itself is pretty walkable and has plenty of small neighborhood markets and local pubs.

I get the feeling that a place like Astoria, OR might qualify as well, or if we are looking more at like mountain west, then Boulder, or Fort Collins, but then again, those are very expensive and not quite as green, and if you go further into the front range towns that are more green, it is more expensive yet.

Ironically, Beverly Hills would have originally qualified, given the fact that it was one of the primary American "garden style suburbs to follow the sort of plan that suburbs outside of London did, along with the Park Cities in Dallas, Coral Gables in Miami, Shaker Heights in Cleveland, etc. That being said, it would probably be more like Kensington-London now than the sort of British charm you seek.

There's a book about Victoria claiming it to be "More English than the English". Actually, truth be told, Toronto is probably akin to London than it would be.. and I'd say Ottawa and St. John's NL in particular have a substantial claim to being more British than Victoria is at this point, design and touristic reach aside. That said, Victoria is definitely king in Western North America. Just take a look:

https://www.google.com/search?q=vict...X1wMMPDyxBhmhM

https://www.google.com/maps/@48.4259...7i13312!8i6656

Plus, what could be more British than having what is considered at very least the most esteemed gardens (Butchart) in the Americas, and arguably in the world?

For the reason of being in the western time zone and close to Victoria, that scenery, moderate climate, etc. alone, I don't think you could do any better than at least being somewhere in WA.

Edit: Oh, one more. Look into Couer D'Alene, Idaho. Never been, but it sounds like a place you would like.
Thanks for the links! We briefly visited both Leavenworth and Cour DeAlaine on a road trip. Both very nice indeed and will investigate further.
I think I'll need to adjust my expectations for "how English" the style... The PNW would be closest for climate for sure... some of the lifestyle I became familiar with in regards to his family and neighbors actually reminded me of my own extended family in the great lakes area. Not upper crust or overly political, but warm and slightly old fashioned. Quilts and lace curtains, coffee and home baked pies. ❤
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.