U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-20-2019, 09:19 AM

13,583 posts, read 6,937,979 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaysan89 View Post
Yes! California baby!!! CA definitely has the best food of all types. I especially miss the Asian (Thai and Japanese are my favorites), Mexican and Indian cuisines I had when I lived there in 2003. I like how a lot of people on the west coast are health conscious. I currently live in the Dallas, TX area and unfortunately the food and the service here is really is not so good.
One thing I found lacking in California was West African cuisine. It is there, but in my experience it isn't that plentiful and not very good. Thus, I have a better culinary experience in NY vs. CA; overall, the two states have a similar number of ethnic cuisines represented.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-20-2019, 09:29 AM

47,100 posts, read 37,914,413 times
Texas is ranked in #4, so not sure where you're getting the idea that it ranks low.

I don't know about every state but I do pretty much agree with the top ten.

Old 10-20-2019, 09:32 AM

3,139 posts, read 1,678,020 times
I think Massachusetts is a little low a lot more than baked beans and chowder here. I like the and Portuguese mentions but there’s a lack of mention of the Dominican Puerto Rican West African and Haitian food you can find in most of the cities and some of their small suburbs you really can’t get elsewhere other than NYC and Florida.

I mean you can go to Duros in little Hadley Massachusetts and have authentic Ghanaian food or go to Swampscott Massachusetts and eat creative pastelitos. I don’t know how many small suburbs in America have that going on.

Old 10-20-2019, 09:34 AM

3,038 posts, read 1,280,097 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KelpJuice View Post
Nothing you say will be taken seriously ever again.
I laughed pretty hard at this.

Old 10-20-2019, 09:39 AM

409 posts, read 328,049 times
Most of the top 5 where as expected. They all have high populations and diversity.

I rolled my eyes, when they said Nashville put Tennessee on the culinary map. Ever since I can remember Memphis barbecue has been well known and considered some of the best in the country depending on who you ask. Nashville's cuisine, hot chicken as far a popularity, is a recent origin.

I did learn that the origins my family putting sugar on rice likely came from Arkansas, which I think one side is originally from. I get mixed reactions when I tell people I put sugar on my rice even though Arkansas is right across the river.

Old 10-20-2019, 09:48 AM

11,137 posts, read 14,800,760 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dc1538 View Post
Most of the top 5 where as expected. They all have high populations and diversity.

I rolled my eyes, when they said Nashville put Tennessee on the culinary map. Ever since I can remember Memphis barbecue has been well known and considered some of the best in the country depending on who you ask. Nashville's cuisine, hot chicken as far a popularity, is a recent origin.

I did learn that the origins my family putting sugar on rice likely came from Arkansas, which I think one side is originally from. I get mixed reactions when I tell people I put sugar on my rice even though Arkansas is right across the river.
I've been putting sugar and butter on rice for breakfast for decades, and often get an incredulous reaction. (and rice pudding is a favorite desert!) I do have paternal ties to Arkansas so at least I come by it honestly, lol.

Old 10-20-2019, 10:58 AM

2,464 posts, read 1,217,045 times
I guess I don't care enough, to click through 50 slides. This ranking, also, might not (at all), be the same as another random ranking.

Old 10-20-2019, 11:19 AM

1,126 posts, read 422,667 times
I mean Texas got to 4th in large part apparently to their barbecue, which isn’t even made from the right animal to be called barbecue. So yeah.

Old 10-20-2019, 11:26 AM

535 posts, read 189,339 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Heel82 View Post
I mean Texas got to 4th in large part apparently to their barbecue, which isn’t even made from the right animal to be called barbecue. So yeah.
Barbecue can literally be any smoked meat, plus you'll still find pork in Texas.

Old 10-20-2019, 12:03 PM

1,703 posts, read 1,014,812 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom Lennox 70 View Post
I also don't get the bias against chain restaurants and fast food, some of which are good. Popeyes and Raising Cane's are local institutions here in Louisiana. Texas Roadhouse is one of my favorite restaurants, and Waffle House is immensely popular throughout the South. In fact if someone visits the South from a place that doesn't have Waffle House or Cracker Barrel, they should probably stop at one.
Nothing is wrong with chain restaurants... but they can be found anywhere, so they don't really contribute that well to the discussion of "local state cuisine". But odds are if your state has nothing to boast but Burger King or Del Taco.... that probably says your state doesn't have that good of local cuisine. Or at least, certain areas of your state.

That said, there can be good local/regional chains like Whataburger, Portillo's, and In N Out
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or