U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-20-2019, 12:16 PM

35 posts, read 5,745 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by CCrest182 View Post
Nothing is wrong with chain restaurants... but they can be found anywhere, so they don't really contribute that well to the discussion of "local state cuisine". But odds are if your state has nothing to boast but Burger King or Del Taco.... that probably says your state doesn't have that good of local cuisine. Or at least, certain areas of your state.

That said, there can be good local/regional chains like Whataburger, Portillo's, and In N Out

Exactly... Would one consider KFC "authentic Kentuckian cuisine"?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-20-2019, 12:41 PM

183 posts, read 82,295 times
California at #1 and Texas #2 always in my book due to sheer diversity and amount of non-chain restaurants that serve authentic food. Kansas’ life line is Johnson County honestly which actually should bump it up a couple of spots. I am content with Missouri being 22. The 2 big cities have a food scene that punches above their weight.

Old 10-20-2019, 01:33 PM

7,483 posts, read 6,520,350 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom Lennox 70 View Post
Texas Roadhouse is one of my favorite restaurants,
Longhorn Steakhouse isn't going to like that.

Old 10-20-2019, 01:38 PM

1,124 posts, read 421,655 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Frustratedintelligence View Post
Barbecue can literally be any smoked meat
Bless your heart

Old 10-20-2019, 02:17 PM

3,044 posts, read 1,397,865 times
Seems kind of biased against the Midwestern/Plains states but they did say it was a subjective ranking.

I disagree with the article's assertion that Washington grows the best apples and cherries. The author has obviously never had Michigan cherries or cold-climate variety apples.

Old 10-20-2019, 02:24 PM

534 posts, read 189,329 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Heel82 View Post
Bless your heart
And bless your lack of knowledge about the history of barbecue.

Old 10-20-2019, 02:34 PM

789 posts, read 304,971 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kyle19125 View Post
I stopped reading with Florida at #46 stating it's all about chain restaurants and calling Central FL chain Tijuana Flats worse than Taco Bell, which couldn't be anymore false from a company that makes almost everything from scratch. Beyond that there's Florida seafood, the birthplace of New World cuisine, a heavy influence of Latin cooking (Cuban, Puerto Rican and Nicaraguan) plus lots of quality Asian, BBQ and Brewpub offerings. These lists cobbled together by some no doubt twenty-something staffers who haven't even visited the places they're ranking is not only lazy, but irresponsible.
It is though. Most restaurants in FL are chains, and its very hard to find good food in FL. Sorry but thats very accurate. You dont go to FL for food.

Old 10-20-2019, 02:49 PM

1,124 posts, read 421,655 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Frustratedintelligence View Post
And bless your lack of knowledge about the history of barbecue.
Lots in history is wrong things done by wrong people. Texas is often rather loud about their accomplishments, for good and ill. Such is life.

Old 10-20-2019, 03:47 PM

25,150 posts, read 18,653,856 times
I’m from Tennessee and I’d say it’s right. Our food isn’t healthy for the most part but it is tasty.

Old 10-20-2019, 07:49 PM

409 posts, read 327,898 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DubbleT View Post
I've been putting sugar and butter on rice for breakfast for decades, and often get an incredulous reaction. (and rice pudding is a favorite desert!) I do have paternal ties to Arkansas so at least I come by it honestly, lol.

What a delicious blood sugar spike!

I'm trying to do better, to avoid getting diabetes later on. It's been about a year since I had that combo and I'm eating brown rice now. Southern food will take you to the grave early if you don't eat it in moderation. In the end I'll probably accept a few years being shaved off.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or