U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-23-2019, 10:54 PM

5,518 posts, read 3,710,629 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by masssachoicetts View Post
It is though. Most restaurants in FL are chains, and its very hard to find good food in FL. Sorry but thats very accurate. You dont go to FL for food.
It is absolutely not true, there is great food from Pensacola to Key West. I believe you're basing this on your limited exposure from whatever master-planned Orlando suburb you lived in.

You have to actually talk to people and do a little research, that's how you find the gems. And they are everywhere.

Florida is the third largest State, with multiple dynamic Metro areas full of people and traditions from many varied areas, regions and Countries. Anyone with this opinion is severely uninformed and unfamiliar with where they once lived.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-23-2019, 11:38 PM

2,642 posts, read 804,946 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JMatl View Post
It is absolutely not true, there is great food from Pensacola to Key West. I believe you're basing this on your limited exposure from whatever master-planned Orlando suburb you lived in.

You have to actually talk to people and do a little research, that's how you find the gems. And they are everywhere.

Florida is the third largest State, with multiple dynamic Metro areas full of people and traditions from many varied areas, regions and Countries. Anyone with this opinion is severely uninformed and unfamiliar with where they once lived.
Yeah what the hell? My uncle lived in Fort Lauderdale till he passed away. He cooked gourmet French food and was very particular.

There were a ton of great restaurants around there that he took us too, including a nice French restaurant. You can find good food in any city if you know where to look.

Old 10-24-2019, 02:39 AM

14,100 posts, read 10,118,887 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dc1538 View Post
I get mixed reactions when I tell people I put sugar on my rice...
I remember eating rice with milk and sugar when we ran out of breakfast cereals. Nothing strange about it.

But at school, they'd pour gravy over rice and that would confuse me.

Old 10-24-2019, 06:58 AM

47,084 posts, read 37,886,617 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Frustratedintelligence View Post
Well I would. Chuy's is pretty gringo from what I remember. And I don't think of it as strictly Tex-Mex as much as it is generally southwestern/Mexican-inspired.

In my opinion, the chain that best represents Tex-Mex is Taco Cabana. Based in San Antonio instead of Austin.
Well, to each his or her own. To me, Taco Cabana is typical fast food.

Chuy's gringo? Wow, I don't think so at all.
https://www.chuys.com/?&mkwid=sLni3N...oaAvQ3EALw_wcB

Old 10-24-2019, 07:01 AM

47,084 posts, read 37,886,617 times
Quote:

Yep, I was shaking my head when I read Florida's description. I thought that was crazy. Maybe the author's uncle is Florida Man.

Old 10-24-2019, 09:04 AM

534 posts, read 188,977 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KathrynAragon View Post
Well, to each his or her own. To me, Taco Cabana is typical fast food.

Chuy's gringo? Wow, I don't think so at all.
https://www.chuys.com/?&mkwid=sLni3N...oaAvQ3EALw_wcB
Yeah with things on the menu like Baja fish tacos and New Mexico chiles, you can't really call yourself a strictly Tex-Mex restaurant. Chuy's really just seems to blend influences from California to Texas and everywhere in-between.

Not saying that Taco Cabana is top caliber stuff, but its menu is more exclusively Tex-Mex

Old 10-24-2019, 09:13 AM

1,124 posts, read 420,683 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Frustratedintelligence View Post
Yeah with things on the menu like Baja fish tacos and New Mexico chiles, you can't really call yourself a strictly Tex-Mex restaurant. Chuy's really just seems to blend influences from California to Texas and everywhere in-between.

Not saying that Taco Cabana is top caliber stuff, but its menu is more exclusively Tex-Mex
Tex-mex is in the eye of the beholder, don’t be so rigid with your limiting definitions.

Old 10-24-2019, 09:18 AM

8,293 posts, read 16,422,967 times
Quote:

Yeah, I love eating in Florida and I think the ranking it got on this list is bogus. It's not the "foodiest" state in the country, and there really are a ton of chains, but it's a large, diverse state surrounded by the ocean with a large agricultural core. It's impossible for Florida not to do well on the food front. I don't even think you have to dig or do all that much research, it's not hard to find good, non-chain food in any of Florida's metros.

Old 10-24-2019, 09:54 AM

393 posts, read 196,662 times
That website has an awful UI.

Old 10-24-2019, 10:35 AM

534 posts, read 188,977 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Heel82 View Post
Tex-mex is in the eye of the beholder, don’t be so rigid with your limiting definitions.
I see what you did there and you're comparing apples to oranges. Tex-Mex is a thoroughly original term that refers to a specific cuisine.

Tex-Mex is fajitas, puffy tacos, breakfast tacos, barbacoa, chili, and nachos with queso. Fish tacos, hatch chiles, blue corn and anything with olives in it are not Texas things.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or