U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-20-2019, 01:04 AM

7,809 posts, read 4,257,279 times

Advertisements

US States rated by their Food

Where did your state come in at?
Do you feel the rating is fair...or that it should be higher or lower?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-20-2019, 01:50 AM

1,505 posts, read 1,786,229 times
New Mexico should be at minimum a top 25 state. Very few other states can boast a local culinary scene as unique and well-rounded as New Mexico. From calabacitas to green chile stew to carne adovada to sopaipillas to biscochitos, etc., New Mexico has it all.

Albuquerque has an awesome food scene that goes beyond local flavor to include innovative farm to table restaurants and fusion eateries, along with a healthy variety of ethnic restaurants.

We are lucky in Albuquerque and New Mexico to have incredible locally grown, raised and produced fruit, vegetables, meat and cheese available. And to also have great local wine, spirits, beer and coffee to enjoy our meals with. All that taken into account is why New Mexico is a top food state in this country.

This website and list is trying to be cute and provocative with their little spiels about each state, but they are just annoying and dumb. You can rate state cuisines without the lame sarcasm and insults.

Old 10-20-2019, 02:07 AM

1,505 posts, read 1,786,229 times
How ridiculous that Colorado is a top 25 state and the website calls out its "green chili" as a highlight, which is a dish and ingredient derived from New Mexico. Only recently has Colorado been trying to purloin this New Mexico staple as somehow being indicative of any sort of food culture in Colorado. Stick to Rocky Mountain Oysters and Denver Omelettes.

Old 10-20-2019, 02:15 AM

7,558 posts, read 4,193,602 times
#1 California baby!

Old 10-20-2019, 02:27 AM

8,248 posts, read 12,625,043 times
I do think this list is highly elitist and geared toward yuppie tastes.

There's two ways to judge a state's cuisine. In terms of native cuisine, Louisiana is clearly #1, with Texas and Georgia in second and third. However if you factor in the availability of international cuisines then California can be ranked pretty high. California has basically no native cuisine worth mentioning, but they have authentic Mexican and Chinese food plus Japanese, Korean, etc. Louisiana has the best native cuisine but there is less international offerings here.

So overall it would have to be Texas since it has barbecue, steaks, burgers, seafood (on the coast) country cooking, Tex-Mex, authentic Mexican food AND Asian food.

I also don't get the bias against chain restaurants and fast food, some of which are good. Popeyes and Raising Cane's are local institutions here in Louisiana. Texas Roadhouse is one of my favorite restaurants, and Waffle House is immensely popular throughout the South. In fact if someone visits the South from a place that doesn't have Waffle House or Cracker Barrel, they should probably stop at one.

Old 10-20-2019, 06:25 AM

567 posts, read 1,029,780 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sydney123 View Post
#1 California baby!
Would it be any other state? CA with two great massive food cities in LA and SF. LA, even alone, offers a richer depth in the diversity of ethnic cuisine than NYC. And then you have the Pacific Ocean accessibility that offers some of the world’s most sought after ingredients like Santa Barbara uni, Santa barbara spot prawn, Dungeness crab, and every fish in the Pacific ocean.

Then you have the most important North American wine growing regions (Sonoma, Napa, Paso Robles). Along with grass-fed livestock and REAL cheeses (not American and not just cheddar), many of which can stand toe-to-toe with the French.

Lastly, the best agriculture that comes from year-round perfect weather and Mediterranean growing climate. Basically everything grows in California.

Last edited by dtran103; 10-20-2019 at 06:52 AM..

Old 10-20-2019, 06:41 AM

116 posts, read 41,109 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sydney123 View Post
#1 California baby!
Yes! California baby!!! CA definitely has the best food of all types. I especially miss the Asian (Thai and Japanese are my favorites), Mexican and Indian cuisines I had when I lived there in 2003. I like how a lot of people on the west coast are health conscious. I currently live in the Dallas, TX area and unfortunately the food and the service here is really is not so good.

Old 10-20-2019, 06:58 AM

21,575 posts, read 31,239,488 times
I stopped reading with Florida at #46 stating it's all about chain restaurants and calling Central FL chain Tijuana Flats worse than Taco Bell, which couldn't be anymore false from a company that makes almost everything from scratch. Beyond that there's Florida seafood, the birthplace of New World cuisine, a heavy influence of Latin cooking (Cuban, Puerto Rican and Nicaraguan) plus lots of quality Asian, BBQ and Brewpub offerings. These lists cobbled together by some no doubt twenty-something staffers who haven't even visited the places they're ranking is not only lazy, but irresponsible.

Old 10-20-2019, 08:54 AM

523 posts, read 205,614 times
I was interested by the topic, but I hate these articles where you've gotta click twice for each state, just to view one state. I got as far as realizing they ranked the major plains states, besides Kansas and Texas for obvious reasons, in the bottom 40-50. Seems like kind of an obvious and not so nuanced ranking. Anyone care to let me know where Pennsylvania ranks?

Last edited by Muinteoir; 10-20-2019 at 09:55 AM..

Old 10-20-2019, 09:17 AM

32 posts, read 5,692 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom Lennox 70 View Post
Texas Roadhouse is one of my favorite restaurants
Nothing you say will be taken seriously ever again.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or