U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 10-25-2019, 05:52 PM
 
Location: Southwest Arkansas
782 posts, read 662,957 times
Reputation: 831

Advertisements

Honolulu- close to a million metro
yes the time difference and distance to the mainland is an issue as would travel for fans from other Hawaiian islands but they wouldn't have any close competition to lure away ticket sales
of course people go to Hawaii for the beaches not for a ball game
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 10-25-2019, 11:39 PM
 
Location: WA Desert, Seattle native
6,184 posts, read 4,108,566 times
Reputation: 4654
NCAA's University of Hawaii has had some good seasons over the years, and occasionally get ranked in the top25. But, yeah, scheduling is incredibly difficult. They play in the Mountain West Conference, so most of their games, (not all) are played against Western US teams, both conference and non-conference.

I think it is unlikely Honolulu will score a major league team anytime soon due to the obvious time/distance factor, but that hasn't stopped the NFL from scheduling many London games. But the economics are different between Hawaii and London, obviously.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-30-2019, 09:59 PM
 
Location: Planet Earth
7,396 posts, read 8,374,712 times
Reputation: 5135
Quote:
Originally Posted by onceahogalwaysahog View Post
Honolulu- close to a million metro
yes the time difference and distance to the mainland is an issue as would travel for fans from other Hawaiian islands but they wouldn't have any close competition to lure away ticket sales
of course people go to Hawaii for the beaches not for a ball game
Just as no NFL team will want to be the ones who share the same division as a London-based team, no one will want to be in the same division as a Honolulu based team.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-31-2019, 11:51 AM
 
Location: ATLANTA
2,191 posts, read 1,513,447 times
Reputation: 1679
Louisville
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-31-2019, 11:57 AM
 
Location: Chiraq, Crook County
1,704 posts, read 1,015,656 times
Reputation: 1441
Quote:
Originally Posted by pnwguy2 View Post
NCAA's University of Hawaii has had some good seasons over the years, and occasionally get ranked in the top25. But, yeah, scheduling is incredibly difficult. They play in the Mountain West Conference, so most of their games, (not all) are played against Western US teams, both conference and non-conference.

I think it is unlikely Honolulu will score a major league team anytime soon due to the obvious time/distance factor, but that hasn't stopped the NFL from scheduling many London games. But the economics are different between Hawaii and London, obviously.
I could see Honolulu running into the exact same problem as Florida pro sports teams: low attendance, for the fact that there's just so much to do other than sit in a stadium and watch a sports game, especially if the stadium is domed. Paradise and pro sports have proven they don't mix as well as some may hope they would.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-31-2019, 12:44 PM
 
6,766 posts, read 14,019,853 times
Reputation: 3114
Quote:
Originally Posted by mjlo View Post
I suppose it would depend on the league. Kansas City is the number 32 TV market, pretty big separation from Louisville 49, and Richmond 56.

I can see the case maybe being made for the NBA to have expansions/relo's to cities and states like Kentucky with basketball heavy cultures. Though it would seem counter intuitive to me if there were such a thing in the works, to skip over a media market like Seattle, where corporate portfolio's, population, and local wealth are proliferating.

For NFL it seems highly unlikely to me for them to have expansions or relocation's to anything other than bigger/better markets.

Louisville's media market is 48 actually, bigger than Grand Rapids.

Louisville's media market is artificially lowered and I think you are aware of this. Being so close to so many cities, especially Lexington and Cincinnati (even Indianapolis), eats into it artificially BIG TIME. In fact, if you combined Louisville and Lexington media markets alone (and you really should in this case), its a MUCH more attractive option than KC as it would be the only major tier one pro team (Louisville now has a Tier I NSWL women's pro soccer team).

Louisville/Lexington combined as a top 25 DMA is the size of Pittsburgh and this isn't even counting Cincinnati/NKY. We are talking cities an HOUR apart when you drive 85 mph and no traffic. Bottom line, Louisville has lacked PR, hype, and leadership for years. That's rapidly changing with better local business leaders and people like me(and many others) evangelizing about all this area offers.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-31-2019, 02:35 PM
 
4,810 posts, read 2,929,999 times
Reputation: 4320
Lexington is really far. It might be an ok trip occasionally but not for the average night game.

From an attendance perspective, teams think about fan bases in gradients based on distance. People 50-60 miles away count much less than people nearby.

As a media market I can only imagine, but it seems likely its allegiances wouldn't be all-Louisville.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-31-2019, 02:43 PM
 
1,132 posts, read 423,803 times
Reputation: 1196
Lots of television markets get bigger if you include other cities within 85 miles of somewhere. Regardless, if this is with an eye towards being good relocation options for pro teams, look to the 1 & 2 pro team cities. They will be first in-line when Baltimore or Buffalo lose a team. Portland is now too large to be a 1-pro city for too much longer.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-31-2019, 03:27 PM
 
54 posts, read 14,535 times
Reputation: 40
Quote:
Originally Posted by mhays25 View Post
Lexington is really far. It might be an ok trip occasionally but not for the average night game.

From an attendance perspective, teams think about fan bases in gradients based on distance. People 50-60 miles away count much less than people nearby.

As a media market I can only imagine, but it seems likely its allegiances wouldn't be all-Louisville.
Attendance is important, don't get me wrong, but for the MLB, NHL, and NBA, your tv market size is very important since those leagues have local tv deals with their teams. For instance, some MLB teams are pulling in over $100 million a year from their local tv deals before you factor in the national deal. That is a good chunk of a team's revenue. The point is that the TV market is just as applicable here as an MSA since residents 50-60 miles out are most likely contributing to the tv deal by subscribing to the local regional sports network.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-31-2019, 06:14 PM
 
9,818 posts, read 9,897,140 times
Reputation: 6165
Quote:
Originally Posted by Heel82 View Post
Lots of television markets get bigger if you include other cities within 85 miles of somewhere. Regardless, if this is with an eye towards being good relocation options for pro teams, look to the 1 & 2 pro team cities. They will be first in-line when Baltimore or Buffalo lose a team. Portland is now too large to be a 1-pro city for too much longer.
Buffalo isn’t losing a team. We are at the point where local revenue is almost pointless in the NFL and in the NHL Buffalo is far and away the best NHL market per capita in the US. The Sabres have more absolute viewers than the Flyers last season coming off a 31st place season and they placed 27th last year.

Plus due to Canada it’s really about 20% larger than the MSA says it is and Rochester contributed big time to Buffalo’s revenues
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply

Quick Reply
Message:

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

© 2005-2019, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top