Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-20-2019, 08:54 PM

93,197 posts, read 123,819,554 times

Advertisements

Rochester NY comes to mind, but I think its close proximity to Buffalo may hurt its chances except for a pro soccer team. It had this team, that was largely well supported: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rochester_Rhinos

As well as this team for some years: https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Western_New_York_Flash
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-20-2019, 10:39 PM

2,752 posts, read 2,401,952 times
El Paso
Omaha
Des Moines
Charleston, SC
Reno
Birmingham
Richmond
Albuquerque

Old 10-20-2019, 10:43 PM

142 posts, read 115,760 times
Austin TX has to be up there, but you have many pro teams not that far away. Agree on Omaha it has to be up there.

Old 10-20-2019, 10:45 PM

142 posts, read 115,760 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ckhthankgod View Post
Rochester NY comes to mind, but I think its close proximity to Buffalo may hurt its chances except for a pro soccer team. It had this team, that was largely well supported: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rochester_Rhinos

As well as this team for some years: https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Western_New_York_Flash
If I’m not mistaking way back at some point I think they had an nba team that moved to KC anc is now the Sacramento Kings?

Old 10-21-2019, 12:51 AM

7,070 posts, read 16,735,867 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CCrest182 View Post
El Paso
Omaha
Des Moines
Charleston, SC
Reno
Birmingham
Richmond
Albuquerque
So we are counting Tier one pro women’s soccer for Louisville? You won’t find a bigger Louisville fan than me but I am not sure women’s pro sports count...or do they?

And no minor league pro teams don’t count

Old 10-21-2019, 07:11 AM

9,678 posts, read 9,375,415 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Peter1948 View Post
Today Louisville announced the top tier Women's Pro Soccer league is expanding a franchise into Louisville (formal announcement expected Tuesday and they will play in a new 200 Million pro soccer stadium district being anchored by the highest level minor league pro soccer team, City FC in the USL).

https://wfpl.org/report-womens-profe...to-louisville/

While the city has a positive history of pro sports having had an MLB team in the late 1800s, an ABA team in the 1970s (competed neck and neck for viewers with the NBA and produced great NBA franchises like the Spurs and Pacers and Nuggets), and two of the highest rated minor league pro teams in soccer and baseball, the city has not had a tier one pro team in the last few decades.

For Louisville, does this raise the city's profile for those who state it lacked pro sports? I have heard many posters here downplay what is going on in Louisville due to "lack or pro sports." Or is it considered "just women's?"

Now that Austin and Vegas have added teams....what are the largest MSA's without a tier one pro team and will they get one any time soon? I am thinking of places like Norfolk, Birmingham, Albuquerque....any others? Does this mean Louisville has a good shot at NBA and MLS? There are very active groups to gain franchises in one or both leagues.

Additionally, is there any other MSA where the ONLY top tier pro team is a women's franchise? I know the WNBA has a team in CT which I believe is the only pro team around in that state, which I guess makes the Hartford MSA similar to Louisville in that regard.
The answer is no, but it is great news for Louisville. Louisville has Lexington and Southern IN to pull from whereas Birmingham has no such areas. Birmingham is too close to Nashville and Atlanta markets to see pro sports.

Old 10-21-2019, 07:19 AM

631 posts, read 1,093,008 times
WNBA is a tier 1 league.

I would say Birmingham is a city that doesn't have a big 6.

Old 10-21-2019, 07:21 AM

631 posts, read 1,093,008 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2Easy View Post
Oops. I forgot about the Crew and I don't know hockey.

No, I don't consider women's soccer as tier 1. Maybe WNBA but that's it.

I think that Louisville deserves a basketball team due to how many NBA players are from there. Louisville maybe has the best sports pedigree out of the cities that are lacking.
Louisville definitely needs an NBA team.

Old 10-21-2019, 07:49 AM

3,733 posts, read 2,884,468 times
I just don't look at soccer as a tier one sport in the US.....yet. You don't see the coverage, name recognition, and most people don't have a clue, the names of the teams. Not a clue. That's not "major."

Old 10-21-2019, 08:08 AM

93,197 posts, read 123,819,554 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Traveling Mike View Post
If I’m not mistaking way back at some point I think they had an nba team that moved to KC anc is now the Sacramento Kings?
Yes, the Rochester Royals left the city in the late 1950's to Cincinnati. That team then left for Kansas City(played some home games in Omaha early on in after the move) around 1972. Then, around 1985, they left KC for Sacramento.

In terms of the topic, Louisville did have an ABA team from the late 1960's until it shut down in 1976. They didn't get picked up for the NBA like San Antonio, Denver, Indiana and the then NY Nets did.

Also, Birmingham did have a USFL Football team in the early/mid 1980's(the Stallions).
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.