U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-20-2019, 08:36 PM

6,766 posts, read 14,019,853 times

Advertisements

Today Louisville announced the top tier Women's Pro Soccer league is expanding a franchise into Louisville (formal announcement expected Tuesday and they will play in a new 200 Million pro soccer stadium district being anchored by the highest level minor league pro soccer team, City FC in the USL).

https://wfpl.org/report-womens-profe...to-louisville/

While the city has a positive history of pro sports having had an MLB team in the late 1800s, an ABA team in the 1970s (competed neck and neck for viewers with the NBA and produced great NBA franchises like the Spurs and Pacers and Nuggets), and two of the highest rated minor league pro teams in soccer and baseball, the city has not had a tier one pro team in the last few decades.

For Louisville, does this raise the city's profile for those who state it lacked pro sports? I have heard many posters here downplay what is going on in Louisville due to "lack or pro sports." Or is it considered "just women's?"

Now that Austin and Vegas have added teams....what are the largest MSA's without a tier one pro team and will they get one any time soon? I am thinking of places like Norfolk, Birmingham, Albuquerque....any others? Does this mean Louisville has a good shot at NBA and MLS? There are very active groups to gain franchises in one or both leagues.

Additionally, is there any other MSA where the ONLY top tier pro team is a women's franchise? I know the WNBA has a team in CT which I believe is the only pro team around in that state, which I guess makes the Hartford MSA similar to Louisville in that regard.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-20-2019, 08:45 PM

88,028 posts, read 104,266,596 times
Omaha.

Old 10-20-2019, 08:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Katarina Witt View Post
Omaha.
Omaha is getting USL...Louisville has had the best team in that league for years. That said, it's still really the minors.

Do you really think Omaha can support tier one pro sports? Which sport would it be? NFL would never go there. It's way too small to get MLB. NBA wouldn't go there over Louisville or KC...so are you saying you think Omaha could support MLS? How so?

Old 10-20-2019, 08:54 PM

1,494 posts, read 678,069 times
El Paso, TX? Tucson, Arizona? There are plenty of large cities that are underserved with only one team.

Old 10-20-2019, 08:58 PM

3,074 posts, read 3,765,515 times
Going by MSA Las Vegas is the current largest, but they get the Raiders soon. After that it's Columbus Ohio.

Old 10-20-2019, 09:03 PM

4,103 posts, read 3,674,421 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2Easy View Post
Going by MSA Las Vegas is the current largest, but they get the Raiders soon. After that it's Columbus Ohio.
Columbus has an NHL team.

Old 10-20-2019, 09:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2Easy View Post
Columbus has a MLS and NHL team. Vegas has NFL next year and NHL currently

I'd say anyone who has a TIER ONE pro team in basketball, football, baseball, soccer, or hockey..."the so called big five"

So would you consider Louisville getting a tier one Women's Soccer pro team "having a pro team?" What other 1M plus MSAs are deserving of a team?

Old 10-20-2019, 09:22 PM

3,074 posts, read 3,765,515 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Peter1948 View Post
Columbus has a MLS and NHL team. Vegas has NFL next year and NHL currently

I'd say anyone who has a TIER ONE pro team in basketball, football, baseball, soccer, or hockey..."the so called big five"

So would you consider Louisville getting a tier one Women's Soccer pro team "having a pro team?" What other 1M plus MSAs are deserving of a team?
Oops. I forgot about the Crew and I don't know hockey.

No, I don't consider women's soccer as tier 1. Maybe WNBA but that's it.

I think that Louisville deserves a basketball team due to how many NBA players are from there. Louisville maybe has the best sports pedigree out of the cities that are lacking.

Old 10-20-2019, 09:32 PM

88,028 posts, read 104,266,596 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Peter1948 View Post
Omaha is getting USL...Louisville has had the best team in that league for years. That said, it's still really the minors.

Do you really think Omaha can support tier one pro sports? Which sport would it be? NFL would never go there. It's way too small to get MLB. NBA wouldn't go there over Louisville or KC...so are you saying you think Omaha could support MLS? How so?
Well, you are the one making it so I'm saying MLS!

How do you know the NFL wouldn't go there? (Playing devil's advocate here, but they fill up Memorial Stadium in Lincoln, which is 59 miles away, every single Huskers home game. Capacity 90,000.) Why is it too small for MLB? They have the Storm Chasers, a AAA team, and the college world series. Why wouldn't the NBA go there? Basketball is big in Omaha, with Creighton U and UNO, both with DI temas. MLS? Why not? They support other sports as you can see.

Old 10-20-2019, 09:40 PM

1,129 posts, read 423,803 times
Not touching whether the NWSL is considered a tier one pro sport. But eyeballing it, it looks like El Paso is the largest city and Inland Empire the largest metro.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or