U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-22-2019, 12:20 PM

13,883 posts, read 22,482,842 times

Advertisements

Atlanta.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-22-2019, 12:40 PM

150 posts, read 77,163 times
Though I have been to 22 states, I have only been to 10 state capital cities. For example, I have been to Pittsburgh and Philly, but not Harrisburg and I have been to Cincy and Cleveland, but not Columbus. I definitely need to see more capitals! I would say of the capitals I have been to, these are my favorite five:

1. Boston
2. Atlanta
3. Denver
4. Richmond
5. Nashville

Modcut: Removed off-topic comment

My top 5 to visit someday:
Madison
Santa Fe
Austin
Boise
Providence

Last edited by JMT; 10-22-2019 at 01:07 PM..

Old 10-22-2019, 01:18 PM

1,529 posts, read 1,165,935 times
Denver
SLC
Nashville
Austin
St. Paul

That is, assuming the OP is asking "what are the best cities to visit, only picking from cities that are state capitals," as opposed to "what cities are the best at being state capitals." I say that because there is a difference.

Old 10-22-2019, 09:16 PM

5,476 posts, read 2,088,082 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by raleighsocial View Post
The same way everyone else does? Tourism tax data?

https://www.visitraleigh.com/media/p...n-wake-county/

Methods and data sources

Estimates of visitor expenditures in Wake County were
based on several sources:

Smith Travel Research (STR) data on hotel room
demand, supply and revenues.

County and City level tax data on sales and
hotel occupancy receipts.

Visitor profile and volume, and spending
estimates from D.K. Shiffllet & Associates,
a national tourism research firm.

Industry data on employment, wages and sales
from the U.S. Census, the Bureau of Economic
Analysis, and the Bureau of Labor Statistics.
I see. My cousin and his family were passing through, stayed the night, had breakfast, and went on. They were not "visitors" because they spent no money. I have had, over the years, numerous hitch-hikers and other stragglers stay at my house overnight, none were visitors. A real "visitor" is a guy from Powhatan who drives into Raleigh for a dental appointment.

Basing "favorite city" on number of "visitors" does not seem very realistic., especially when the capital gets "visitors" uniquely on capital business.

Old 10-22-2019, 10:01 PM

8,252 posts, read 12,626,044 times
My favorite state capital is Charleston, West Virginia just because its such a pleasant city in such a beautiful environment and with such friendly, down to Earth people. I lived there for 4 years. I would probably be there if the economy was better - a lot of this due to Obama and the war on coal. I eventually returned home to Louisiana and have a great job here and a great life back in my native state. Baton Rouge is a great area though not too touristy though it has a nice small downtown plus the fun that goes with LSU football.

In terms of tourist value, Nashville is probably the best state capital to visit because of Music Row, the Grand Ole Opry and the Country Music Hall of Fame, with Atlanta as a runner up with the Aquarium and Stone Mountain. Denver has a lot to do in the surroudning region but not much in the city itself.

I hear Austin is very hyped up but I've never been there.

Old 10-23-2019, 01:00 AM

138 posts, read 31,712 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom Lennox 70 View Post
My favorite state capital is Charleston, West Virginia just because its such a pleasant city in such a beautiful environment and with such friendly, down to Earth people. I lived there for 4 years. I would probably be there if the economy was better - a lot of this due to Obama and the war on coal. I eventually returned home to Louisiana and have a great job here and a great life back in my native state. Baton Rouge is a great area though not too touristy though it has a nice small downtown plus the fun that goes with LSU football.

In terms of tourist value, Nashville is probably the best state capital to visit because of Music Row, the Grand Ole Opry and the Country Music Hall of Fame, with Atlanta as a runner up with the Aquarium and Stone Mountain. Denver has a lot to do in the surroudning region but not much in the city itself.

I hear Austin is very hyped up but I've never been there.
What else is there for a tourist in Nashville? I have zero interest in anything to do with Country Music.

Old 10-23-2019, 06:53 AM

46 posts, read 9,759 times
Nashville, Boston, Denver, Honolulu, Atlanta, and Austin all come to mind.

Old 10-23-2019, 08:13 AM

689 posts, read 611,010 times
Atlanta
Nashville
Austin
Boston
Honolulu

Old 10-23-2019, 09:15 AM

1,529 posts, read 1,165,935 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrPiedmontTriad View Post
What else is there for a tourist in Nashville? I have zero interest in anything to do with Country Music.
The zoo there is phenominal!

Old 10-23-2019, 10:35 AM

191 posts, read 64,553 times
Well we all know Trenton isn't one of the best, which is too bad because of the important Revolutionary history there.

Of the ones I've been to, I'd say I like Boston for the larger one and Providence is cool for a smaller city.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or