U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-23-2019, 11:18 AM

15,092 posts, read 8,108,279 times

Advertisements

Boston
Nashville
Santa Fe
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-23-2019, 01:33 PM

8,248 posts, read 12,625,043 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wherewhatwho View Post
Well we all know Trenton isn't one of the best, which is too bad because of the important Revolutionary history there.

Of the ones I've been to, I'd say I like Boston for the larger one and Providence is cool for a smaller city.
The Battle of Trenton is very important, true, but for some reason Trenton doesn't have the historical appeal of Gettysburg or even Valley Forge.

Old 10-23-2019, 02:54 PM

514 posts, read 696,119 times
Springfield, Illinois for Lincoln's home, law offices, Lincoln Presidential Library and Museum and Lincoln's Tomb. Old Route 66 also goes through Springfield.

Old 10-24-2019, 01:02 AM

8,248 posts, read 12,625,043 times
Oh yes I forgot to mention that Juneau, Alaska is a beautiful city with lots of tourist appeal. When I was there, I went on a helicopter tour over the surrounding national forest and went dog sledding on top of the Norris Glacier. Juneau also has a historic gold rush era downtown. The Red Dog Saloon is definitely worth a visit. Juneau is also located in a breathtakingly beautiful area despite being too cold in the winter, though its actually not as cold as Minneapolis or Chicago since its in far Southeast Alaska.

Old 10-24-2019, 03:07 AM

207 posts, read 118,866 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cebuan View Post
I see. My cousin and his family were passing through, stayed the night, had breakfast, and went on. They were not "visitors" because they spent no money. I have had, over the years, numerous hitch-hikers and other stragglers stay at my house overnight, none were visitors. A real "visitor" is a guy from Powhatan who drives into Raleigh for a dental appointment.

Basing "favorite city" on number of "visitors" does not seem very realistic., especially when the capital gets "visitors" uniquely on capital business.
A visitor is a spending and tax revenue generating non-resident per the study quoted. No tourism study would include transient persons. For one thing the numbers are partially based on Room Occupancy Tax data.

If you're lodging for the purposes of governing or education or religion you're tax exempt so those visitors are also not include in the numbers.

Old 10-24-2019, 03:14 AM

7,347 posts, read 4,036,171 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrPiedmontTriad View Post
Surprised Santa Fe hasn't popped up.

The two state capitals that interest me the most (in terms of visiting) are Providence and Annapolis.
Santa Fe is a destination town even when people have no idea it is the state capital.
The oldest one, goes back to 1610.

Old 10-24-2019, 03:20 AM

7,347 posts, read 4,036,171 times
Jefferson City has some charm for a small town capital.

Old 10-24-2019, 07:09 AM

47,084 posts, read 37,886,617 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom Lennox 70 View Post
My favorite state capital is Charleston, West Virginia just because its such a pleasant city in such a beautiful environment and with such friendly, down to Earth people. I lived there for 4 years. I would probably be there if the economy was better - a lot of this due to Obama and the war on coal. I eventually returned home to Louisiana and have a great job here and a great life back in my native state. Baton Rouge is a great area though not too touristy though it has a nice small downtown plus the fun that goes with LSU football.

In terms of tourist value, Nashville is probably the best state capital to visit because of Music Row, the Grand Ole Opry and the Country Music Hall of Fame, with Atlanta as a runner up with the Aquarium and Stone Mountain. Denver has a lot to do in the surroudning region but not much in the city itself.

I hear Austin is very hyped up but I've never been there.
I love Charleston, WV! You're right, it's in a beautiful setting and the people are very friendly.

Personally I'm not a huge Nashville fan - I mean, it's nice to visit one time but after that, I don't see the allure.

You should visit Austin - but not just to visit AUSTIN, but also the surrounding Hill Country and San Antonio (all within an hour or so of Austin, depending on the traffic). Austin itself is fine if you want to get drunk with a lot of hipsters and wannabe hipsters, but it's the surrounding areas that are interesting to me. Check out Luckenbach, Wimberley, Fredericksburg, San Antonio, the Schlitterbahn, New Braunfels, etc.

Old 10-24-2019, 12:31 PM

3,995 posts, read 3,187,245 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Traveling Mike View Post
Any ideas?
What is the best state capital to visit as a true destination city.
This may sound like northern bias/basic, but I think that the solid choice here has to be Boston. When I think about a 'destination' city, I think not about a place with beautiful landscapes, such as Honolulu or Juneau, and not a certain niche appeal such as Nashville for music or Austin for hipster/independent vibe and I guess also music lol, but about the actual urban form of the city itself being the "destination" on a national scale, because in those other cases, you're visiting in large part because of those other factors that make it a destination, not that the city itself would be a destination even if those factors weren't present. In that sense, I think Boston fits that criteria better than any of the other capitals. It is known as the walking city, and has one of the densest and most urbane landscapes, in addition to classical city assets such as culture, history, longtime independent restaurants and shops, etc. Not saying other cities here don't fit that vibe and aren't great urban destinations (Richmond, Santa Fe, etc. qualify), but Boston fits it best, with multiple things coming from there that are known worldwide (Back Bay, Harvard, MIT, Cheers, JFK Historic Site, Freedom Trail and Revolutionary Sites and Freedom Trail, Frederick Law Olmsted Historic Site and Emerald Necklace, Fenway Park... you get the idea). That's as someone that hates Boston sports and does think the city is a bit overly smug... lol.

Annapolis is VERY underrated here. I am surprised it has not received mention yet, as it definitely should, both based on natural and built amenities.

Old 10-24-2019, 12:33 PM

3,995 posts, read 3,187,245 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BillyH View Post
Springfield, Illinois for Lincoln's home, law offices, Lincoln Presidential Library and Museum and Lincoln's Tomb. Old Route 66 also goes through Springfield.
Springfield is underrated, and punches well above it's weight as a capital to visit because of the factors you mention and how they relate to our modern civic life. I'd place it in the Top 3rd, maybe even fringe Top 10 of capitals based on interest, regardless of size.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or