U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-26-2019, 10:17 PM

3,995 posts, read 3,187,245 times

Advertisements

A couple others that I think are underrated and worth noting.

Harrisburg, PA. Beautiful cityscape. Historic, walkable (esp. given size), and probably the largest city in the US that also happens to have the Appalachian Trail running through it (really-it's close enough to trail to be a "trail town" almost)

Skyline: https://www.google.com/search?q=Harr...agjpVvjebmMU4M

Attractions include National Civil War Museum, State Museum of Pennsylvania, etc. And, Hershey, PA (Hersey Park, etc.) is right there also... well Amish Country and Gettysburg right there too along with other stuff.. not a bad weekend spot.

Columbus I think is overlooked even within the Midwest. It offers Ohio State and the cultural/entertainment/sporting amenities that offers... High Street, which has a stretch of continuous urbanity/activity for 4 miles through core... interesting museums that are near best in class (COSI, Franklin Park Conservatory, Columbus Zoo), nice suburbs, nice shopping complexes, and bucolic suburbs and countryside south outside the city easily within an hour.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-26-2019, 11:09 PM

25,145 posts, read 18,645,259 times
Boston.

There's so much to do there and it's the hub of an entire region. Off the top of my head, it's the only "super-regional" capital city that's also a mega city. Denver might come close.

Old 10-26-2019, 11:16 PM

30,663 posts, read 28,396,793 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Serious Conversation View Post
Boston.

There's so much to do there and it's the hub of an entire region. Off the top of my head, it's the only "super-regional" capital city that's also a mega city. Denver might come close.
I'd say Atlanta fits the bill.

Old 10-27-2019, 04:26 AM

15,093 posts, read 8,108,279 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mutiny77 View Post
I'd say Atlanta fits the bill.
The problem is that Atlanta has that “Anywhere USA” sprawl and the downtown is kind of soulless. The northern end of the city extending into the northern ‘burbs is a massively affluent place but that’s for residents, not visitors.

Old 10-27-2019, 07:12 AM

30,663 posts, read 28,396,793 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GeoffD View Post
The problem is that Atlanta has that “Anywhere USA” sprawl and the downtown is kind of soulless. The northern end of the city extending into the northern ‘burbs is a massively affluent place but that’s for residents, not visitors.
Downtown Atlanta is underutilized, but "soulless" is not an accurate descriptor for the entire area IMO. And all sizable metros are going to have their fair share of "Anywhere USA" sprawl; yet there will still be things to do and see amongst that sprawl. While Atlanta is not the Southern version of Boston, I'd say that both are "super-regional" capital cities that are also megacities.

Old 10-27-2019, 09:04 AM

3,995 posts, read 3,187,245 times
I would tend to agree. Atlanta has a hub status for the Southeast/South, specifically that no other southern city does. Miami doesn't because it's reach takes hold on peninsular Florida and Latin America mainly. Houston's really effectively along the Gulf Coast, and Dallas likewise only a few hours out in the plains which it's stopped by on either end. Atlanta has one of the larger spheres of influence as a hub city in the US.. perhaps a larger one than Boston even though it's not quite as important or as much of a destination city. I for instance, consider Atlanta as much a magnet/destination city for me (and for Tampa Bay in general) as Miami is, even with Miami being significantly closer.

Old 10-27-2019, 09:26 PM

483 posts, read 193,080 times
Good ones:
Atlanta
Austin
Boston
Denver
Honolulu
Nashville
Phoenix
Providence
Raleigh
Richmond
Sacramento

Some others are also nice: Boise, Madison, St. Paul, Santa Fe

Old 10-28-2019, 08:16 PM
Status: "Closed minds and open mouths are the worst combination." (set 29 days ago)

336 posts, read 66,370 times
Probably Phoenix, to be honest. The only really nice part of Nevada is Clark County, and the best part of California is the coast.

However, I must say numerous other Sun Belt capitals are pretty nice. I go to Nashville frequently and enjoy every time I do more than my dreadful county seat. I probably would've enjoyed Atlanta too if only I hadn't been irrationally afraid of leaving the state as a kid. I'd probably like Austin and Tallahassee too if I ever visited.

Old 10-28-2019, 10:14 PM

3,121 posts, read 2,299,456 times
1.Austin - Best city in the nation. That's why I live there.

2. Indianapolis - lived in Muncie for about 15 years. About 60 miles to Downtown Indianapolis. Had Indy TV channels.

3. Nashville - Have deep family roots in Cannon and Rutherford County.

4. Baton Rouge - It's an SEC and HBCU college town. Centrally located between Southern metros, such as New Orleans, Mobile, Tallahassee, Jackson, Houston, Lake Charles and LaFayette.

5. Denver - for it's close proximity to the Rocky Mountains.

I had Tallahasse at #5 until I remembered Denver. So I edited out Tallahassee, which would have been my # 6. Because it's an SEC and HBCU college town, and also because it's in Florida.

Last edited by Ivory Lee Spurlock; 10-28-2019 at 10:30 PM..

Old 10-29-2019, 01:09 AM
Status: "Coffee is at least 3 of my food groups" (set 6 days ago)

1,950 posts, read 904,562 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sun Belt-lover L.A.M. View Post
Probably Phoenix, to be honest. The only really nice part of Nevada is Clark County, and the best part of California is the coast.
Sounds like someone needs to go to Tahoe.

(As a city to visit, though, and certainly as an employment center, Reno is meh indeed)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or