U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-22-2019, 01:20 PM

2 posts, read 318 times

Advertisements

My husband and I will likely retire within the next 5 to 7 years. Currently we have 4 horses in Maryland and we like to trail ride. I would like to find a place to live with the following attributes:

1. Horse and riding friendly weather - not too wet, not too humid, not too snowy. Maryland has very humid summers that I would like to avoid, western WA and Oregon get too much rain, Florida, Georgia, SC are way too hot and humid, the northern midwest is too snowy. I want to be able to ride year round and I don't want to battle thrush all the time.

2. A cost of living that is at or below the national average - Maryland, California and New York all have a cost of living that is higher than the national average. I would like to find a house and at least 5 acres for $300,000 or less.

3. A healthy and friendly horse community - I would like to find a group of like minded people to hang out with, ride with and maybe volunteer to help teach riding to kids and or start young horses in training. My husband and I have developed some good biomechanically based riding and training skills over the past 20 years that are not common knowledge so we would like to share what we have learned from our trainer.

I am just beginning the search and so I am open minded. What I am looking for won't be easy to find and we are willing to compromise on weather if we can find something affordable in a horse friendly area.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-22-2019, 04:21 PM

9,205 posts, read 11,167,266 times
Cave Creek, Arizona (outside of Phoenix) has a lot of horse properties if you like the desert.

Old 10-22-2019, 08:20 PM

43 posts, read 10,661 times
I grew up outside of Phoenix, AZ; lots of horse trails and a lot of folks own horses. The summers can be rough but it isn't terrible!

Old 10-22-2019, 08:26 PM

4,053 posts, read 1,761,901 times
New Mexico

Old 10-23-2019, 08:20 AM

58,684 posts, read 83,279,303 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by luv2rack View Post
My husband and I will likely retire within the next 5 to 7 years. Currently we have 4 horses in Maryland and we like to trail ride. I would like to find a place to live with the following attributes:

1. Horse and riding friendly weather - not too wet, not too humid, not too snowy. Maryland has very humid summers that I would like to avoid, western WA and Oregon get too much rain, Florida, Georgia, SC are way too hot and humid, the northern midwest is too snowy. I want to be able to ride year round and I don't want to battle thrush all the time.

2. A cost of living that is at or below the national average - Maryland, California and New York all have a cost of living that is higher than the national average. I would like to find a house and at least 5 acres for $300,000 or less.

3. A healthy and friendly horse community - I would like to find a group of like minded people to hang out with, ride with and maybe volunteer to help teach riding to kids and or start young horses in training. My husband and I have developed some good biomechanically based riding and training skills over the past 20 years that are not common knowledge so we would like to share what we have learned from our trainer.

I am just beginning the search and so I am open minded. What I am looking for won't be easy to find and we are willing to compromise on weather if we can find something affordable in a horse friendly area.
Just to touch on the bolded state and not to even offer it as a suggestion, but depending on where you are, the cost of living can actually be below the national average and by quite a bit. So, if you are open to it and don't mind the weather in such areas, you may find what you are looking for in terms of a property. For instance, this property comes very close to what you are likely looking for: https://www.horseproperties.net/prop...ver+Dams/36811

Or this one east of Syracuse, which actually fits and isn't that far from services at all: https://www.horseproperties.net/prop...irkville/36407

Or this one north of Binghamton: https://www.horseproperties.net/prop...nghamton/30691

So, I wouldn't necessarily rule it out, if you are interested.

In fact, this show jumping rider actually doesn't live too far from that second listing: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Beezie_Madden

Also, with the third listing, which is less than an hour(55 minutes) from Cornell University, you could use that institution's Equine Hospital: https://www.vet.cornell.edu/hospitals/equine-hospital

That hospital is also about an hour and 10-15 minutes from the second listing and 55 minutes from the first listing.

There is also this program, which has an Equine Rehabilitation Center: https://www.morrisville.edu/areas-of-study/equine
https://equinerehab.morrisville.edu/

It is about 30 minutes from the second listing.

Another listing just outside of Ithaca, which would put you very close to Cornell's Equine Hospital and services in and around that city: https://www.horseproperties.net/prop...y/Ithaca/35402

Last edited by ckhthankgod; 10-23-2019 at 09:23 AM..

Old 10-23-2019, 11:14 AM

5,342 posts, read 3,908,110 times
Lexington, Kentucky?

https://www.google.com/search?q=lexi...A_enUS821US823

Old 10-23-2019, 04:51 PM

139 posts, read 32,018 times
Tryon NC ?

Old 10-23-2019, 08:23 PM

1,462 posts, read 2,635,341 times
Another vote for New Mexico. Look at properties in the East Mountains, east of ABQ proper.

Old 10-24-2019, 08:05 AM

860 posts, read 1,101,881 times
Lots of horse farms/very horse friendly culture in my area. South Lyon, Michigan. (20 minutes north of Ann Arbor) Salem Township and the surrounding areas are full of horse farms. There would be opportunities to volunteer or work with teaching horseback riding, jumping to kids. It's not a culture I'm too familiar with, but there are lots of horseback riding camps offered in the summer.

According to the long-time locals, it's the horse capitol of Michigan. (Didn't know that until I moved here!)

I think the idea of New Mexico is better though just because the snow pattern is a lot heavier here than other areas of Metro Detroit. (But still not as bad as other areas of Michigan/the Midwest, but if you are dead set against snow, then it may not be what you are looking for).

However, there's a very vibrant horse community in this area and I wanted to give them a "shout-out". It may be a sleeper or a "dark horse" choice. (Yeah, I know - really bad pun. It was there.....had to say it.)

Old 10-25-2019, 10:34 AM

7,358 posts, read 4,042,992 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jakabedy View Post
Another vote for New Mexico. Look at properties in the East Mountains, east of ABQ proper.
You might also check out Corrales NM (Rio Grande bosque community near Albuquerque) Almost any of the smaller towns along the Rio Grande in New Mexico might work. Look at Belen, for example.

New Mexico fits your other requirements.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or