U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: What Sought After Big Brand Chains Indicate a City/Metro has "Arrived?"
Patagonia Store 8 9.52%
Crate and Barrel 12 14.29%
Pottery Barn 5 5.95%
West Elm 6 7.14%
Nordstrom 23 27.38%
IKEA 30 35.71%
Google Store 7 8.33%
Amazon Retail Store 15 17.86%
Apple Store 25 29.76%
Samsung Store 5 5.95%
Dave n Buster's 5 5.95%
Top Golf 12 14.29%
Cheesecake Factory 10 11.90%
Maggiano's 2 2.38%
Palm Steakhouse 6 7.14%
Four Season's Hotel 28 33.33%
Ritz Carlton 32 38.10%
Westin Hotel 7 8.33%
Hard Rock Cafe 7 8.33%
Margaritaville Hotel 3 3.57%
Other (list it) 11 13.10%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 84. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-25-2019, 05:52 PM

1,123 posts, read 420,683 times

Advertisements

So here in 2019, I understand the Apple Store doesn’t seem as unique. But 15 years ago, it was definitely the shiny toy every city wanted. When your city was chosen for an Apple Store, it was very much a huge deal. It was the first, and truly only thing, I could think of as being a national status symbol for places wanting it.

There are a few other brands that cause similar waves in a new community, but they are more regional and downscale. Chickfila is like the Holy Grail of fast food places in the South, and people wait breathlessly for one to open in their home county.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-25-2019, 06:06 PM

32,822 posts, read 56,045,466 times
These arent all luxury brands per se, off the top of my head:
Coffee: Nespresso or Philz
Department Store: Neiman Marcus
Airlines: Emirates
Luxury Automobile: Mercedes-Benz
Grocery: Trader Joe's
Handbags & Luggage: Hermes or Louis Vuitton
Home: Crate & Barrel
Hotel: Four Seasons
Jewelry: Harry Winston
Personal Electronics: Apple
Watches: Rolex
Womens Activewear: Lululemon
Womens Designer Clothing: Chanel
Womens Undergarments: La Perla
Womens Shoes: Christian Louboutin
Mens Activewear: Under Armour
Mens Designer Clothing: Ralph Lauren
Mens Suits: Brooks Brothers
Sit Down Casual Dining: Fogo de Chão

That last one is making me hungry...

Old 10-25-2019, 06:23 PM

1,505 posts, read 1,786,229 times
Yes, here we have Flix Brewhouse which is also similar, but Alamo Drafthouse Cinema is the original and has a certain cachet that competitors will never have. Its programming is also just a bit more highbrow and true to an arthouse or indie theater than its competitors. The legendary strictness when it comes to talking and making noise during movies is also not observed by its competitors.

They also regularly have exclusive events and programming. For instance, all Alamo Drafthouse Cinema locations recently had screenings of the Breaking Bad movie El Camino the weekend it premiered. It was joined by just a few other independent theaters across the country in screening the movie. Luckily, Albuquerque had two independent theaters among those who screened the movie, so we didn't need Alamo Drafthouse Cinema in that instance, lol.

Old 10-25-2019, 07:06 PM

58,635 posts, read 83,245,348 times
I’ll drop one: Wegmans

Old 10-25-2019, 09:02 PM

1,123 posts, read 420,683 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ckhthankgod View Post
I’ll drop one: Wegmans
I actually had it written up in my post earlier. Their recent opening in Raleigh was unlike anything I’ve ever seen. Lines out the wazoo for days. I held off though because I’m not sure it’s a status symbol so much as it means you have a lot of upstate New Yorkers nearby. But perhaps it does fit as a regional “arrived” brand.

Old 10-25-2019, 09:18 PM

30,577 posts, read 68,119,809 times
Pittsburghers were all giddy when our first location of The Container Store opened, too. To this day I still don’t understand the fascination with it, and I’m a fabulous gay guy.

We’re getting a second Wahlburger’s but still don’t have a first Shake Shack. Even Lexington, KY has a Shake Shack.

We have three Whole Foods, three Trader Joe’s, and two Dave & Busters. We have one Fogo de Chao, one IKEA, one Top Golf, and three Apple Stores. I think we only have one Lacoste.

Has Primark had a large national impact yet? How about Warby Parker? We have a few Tesla dealerships. Are those considered a sign you’ve “arrived”? What about a Carvana car vending machine? We have one of those.

Old 10-25-2019, 09:30 PM

3,251 posts, read 2,184,384 times
Plurality of the locations on that Movie Tavern listing are TX as well. Texas seems big on the cinema-that-serves-alcohol concept...if there were any locally, I might actually be motivated to go to the movies again

Old 10-25-2019, 09:36 PM

3,251 posts, read 2,184,384 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SteelCityRising View Post

We have a few Tesla dealerships. Are those considered a sign you’ve “arrived”?
I'd have to google it, but there's some situation with Tesla showrooms in NY that...limits them? NYS spent $750 million to lure a Tesla factory to Buffalo, but when my friend bought his Tesla, he had to drive/be driven ~8 hours to Long Island to pick it up. At the time, I believe he told me that you couldn't buy a Tesla for a dealership/showroom in NY...upon preliminary googling, I don't see NY listed as among the many states where that is apparently the case; maybe things have changed over the past couple years.

https://finance.yahoo.com/news/cant-...161318245.html

ETA: Basically, scanning the article, some states don't allow car manufacturers to operate their own dealerships. NY/PA are not among those states, and it could well just be that upstate NY lacks one due to perception that the market isn't large enough. There are Tesla charging stations in at least one suburban Buffalo location, plus the aforementioned factory. If you look at the map in the above article, Tesla seems to have a 'store'/'gallery' in nearly every market larger than Buffalo in states where they're allowed to operate. Above article is from 2018 so I'm not sure if legal changes have occurred since then in any of the 'Tesla-disallowing' states.

Old 10-25-2019, 09:37 PM

4,634 posts, read 7,206,263 times
Trader joe’s

Old 10-25-2019, 10:41 PM

857 posts, read 777,381 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by loveautumn View Post
Trader joe’s
Yea Whole Foods and Trader Joe's I suppose Even though I personally don't see the big deal, The Memphis Suburb of Germantown just got a Container Store and A Trader Joe's and it was all over the News
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or