U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-25-2019, 12:57 PM

1,198 posts, read 383,236 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by GeoffD View Post
I don't think anybody is afraid to go to an Orioles or Ravens game, or dine/bar crawl in the inner harbor of Baltimore.

Similarly, the office tower blocks of Hartford aren't frightening. People go see UConn basketball at the XL Center or minor league baseball on the north side of I-84 without fearing for their lives. Cirque du Soliel pops up a huge tent east of the ballpark and sells out three weeks of shows. Am I going to walk around the Blue Hills part of Hartford at night? Nope. That's drug & gang country.

I think that's generally true of most "bad" cities. They have some bad neighborhoods but most of the city isn't a war zone. If you're not buying drugs/hookers and stay away from those neighborhoods, the problem is largely property crime.
I don't think the affluent suburbanites of Metro Hartford even think to go Downtown to look for fun. There's not much in the way of fun things to do in Hartford. There's some shops and museums and concerts and events, but I'm sure it's much cooler to go to New York City or Boston or Buckland Hills or Westfarms for the day.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-25-2019, 01:09 PM

317 posts, read 757,493 times
I used to run into this attitude in the Chicago area fairly often, maybe less nowadays.

There are a couple of factors:

1. Chicago is notorious for having a lot of crime, but people who visit the city frequently know that crime tends to be concentrated in certain easily avoidable neighborhoods. The (relatively) safe area of Chicago is a large, extensive city in and of itself, probably bigger than the whole of San Francisco or Boston.

2. The suburbs are such a large area by themselves (something like 6 million people) that a lot of suburbanites never need to go into the city. Consequently they hear about Chicago crime on the news and think it's all over the city.

But I don't think this attitude is the default one among suburbanites.

Old 10-25-2019, 01:13 PM

2,667 posts, read 819,594 times
There are older, right leaning white people in Long Island who feel that about NYC (large chunks of it at least)

Old 10-25-2019, 01:18 PM

58,757 posts, read 83,347,968 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrJones17 View Post
That's most suburbanites across upstate NY as a whole though lol. Definitely not unique to Rochester. Upstate people are overly afraid of anything that's seen as even remotely urban.
It depends, but it occurs more than it should. I only say that, because some of the same people will rave about other cities in other states based upon select areas of those cities. Like those cities don't have their rougher parts of town.

It is a good way to tell how much interaction a people has with the area though.

Old 10-25-2019, 01:43 PM

9,844 posts, read 9,909,916 times
Quote:
That's most suburbanites across upstate NY as a whole though lol. Definitely not unique to Rochester. Upstate people are overly afraid of anything that's seen as even remotely urban.
People will generally specify neighborhoods of Buffalo.

It seems to have a decent reputation in the region.

Old 10-25-2019, 01:49 PM

1,475 posts, read 924,395 times
Quote:
You are correct. Same could be said about Buffalo, Rochester, and Syracuse. Not sure about Albany but I'm sure it applies there as well lol.

Old 10-25-2019, 02:03 PM

23,305 posts, read 10,016,741 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Taggerung View Post
Besides Detroit, that's just too easy. What are some other cities where the suburbanites avoid the core city due to fear?
What is a "core city"? Do you mean 'downtown'? Many downtowns have been regenerated and gentrified and are where you head to go out at night, shop, go to events, etc. It is also where many of the jobs are.

Suburbia has big box stores, chain restaurants, the occasional local eatery and mind-numbing sameness--which is why the risk-averse prefer to live there. Familiarity.

Old 10-25-2019, 02:23 PM

2,391 posts, read 2,155,105 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Taggerung View Post
Besides Detroit, that's just too easy. What are some other cities where the suburbanites avoid the core city due to fear?
Tons of smaller cities in MA fall into this category. Frontrunners would probably be Lawrence, Brockton, and Holyoke. Next step down would be Springfield, Lynn, Fitchburg, and Chelsea. Then some fear exists about Lowell, New Bedford, Haverhill, Fall River, and maybe Worcester. Lowell and Worcester have been getting better from a public perception POV over the last 2 decades or so.

Old 10-25-2019, 03:04 PM
Status: "Coffee is at least 3 of my food groups" (set 12 days ago)

1,964 posts, read 915,069 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Josef K. View Post
I used to run into this attitude in the Chicago area fairly often, maybe less nowadays.

There are a couple of factors:

1. Chicago is notorious for having a lot of crime, but people who visit the city frequently know that crime tends to be concentrated in certain easily avoidable neighborhoods. The (relatively) safe area of Chicago is a large, extensive city in and of itself, probably bigger than the whole of San Francisco or Boston.

2. The suburbs are such a large area by themselves (something like 6 million people) that a lot of suburbanites never need to go into the city. Consequently they hear about Chicago crime on the news and think it's all over the city.

But I don't think this attitude is the default one among suburbanites.
Yeah, I knew people whose entire lives basically took place in one region of the suburbs - like, they grew up in Gurnee and Waukegan, and went to Lake Forest College and that was somewhat far away for them, and then married someone from Libertyville or Buffalo Grove, all of that being in Lake County. Chicago is there, looming in the distance, but it almost feels irrelevant.

I think maybe this is less common nowadays because so much of the city has gentrified and the population growth rates in the city and suburbs are basically at the same level of stagnation now, instead of the massive suburban growth and rapid hollowing-out of the city that happened in past decades, so the city is seen as a legitimate place that one might move to.

Old 10-25-2019, 04:00 PM

7,864 posts, read 6,386,099 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Maintainschaos View Post
Actually, if you read the Baltimore forum, there are many suburbanites (and exurbanites) who would consider it a downright pearl-clutching experience. Then you asked whether they have had bad experiences in those locations, and of course they haven't, "but on the news it said..." or "I heard of so-and-so who heard from so-and-so that..." or "I'll never go into that city in the dark..."
That's usually the case. Most people who go downtown will never see any criminal activity. You'll see yuppies walking around downtown at all hours of the day unbothered.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.