U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-25-2019, 04:23 PM

181 posts, read 72,849 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Enigma777 View Post
What is a "core city"? Do you mean 'downtown'? Many downtowns have been regenerated and gentrified and are where you head to go out at night, shop, go to events, etc. It is also where many of the jobs are.

Suburbia has big box stores, chain restaurants, the occasional local eatery and mind-numbing sameness--which is why the risk-averse prefer to live there. Familiarity.
By 'core City' I mean the 1950 city limits.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-25-2019, 05:22 PM

710 posts, read 563,439 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by iAMtheVVALRUS View Post
Tons of smaller cities in MA fall into this category. Frontrunners would probably be Lawrence, Brockton, and Holyoke. Next step down would be Springfield, Lynn, Fitchburg, and Chelsea. Then some fear exists about Lowell, New Bedford, Haverhill, Fall River, and maybe Worcester. Lowell and Worcester have been getting better from a public perception POV over the last 2 decades or so.

everyone likes to crap on whatever neighbor's they imagine as worse off than them. Growing up kids in towns like Chester and Atkinson would crap on Salem, NH. Salem kids would crap on Haverhill and Nashua. Nashua kids would crap on Lowell and Haverhill kids would crap on Lawrence.

Half the time the kids talking were ones who lived in worse neighborhoods than the majority of the cities they're talking about. The other half it was just sheltered kids repeating what they heard from the first group.

Old 10-25-2019, 05:48 PM

483 posts, read 193,239 times
Baltimore, Philadelphia historically (largely not true anymore with the revitalization of Philly over the past 25 years or so), Minneapolis (more than you'd think), Chicago to some extent (similar to Philly; less than it used to be).

Old 10-25-2019, 05:49 PM

7,349 posts, read 4,039,442 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mjtinmemphis View Post
There again, the media wouldn't have anything to talk about.
There again, the media wouldn't have anything to talk about. That statement bears repeating and should be a statement crawling across the bottom of the TV during local news programs. We have about three-plus hours of local news every day on each of the major local network stations. We still don't have a million people in the metro area so I find it hard to believe that we need so much constant news coverage. Every time someone goes off the rails it is covered ad nause3am until we can all pretty much repeat the stories from memory. If there is a gas station robbery on one side of town the whole city goes into a tail spin thinking it is only a block away after watching it 3 or 4 times on the news.

Old 10-25-2019, 06:08 PM

9,803 posts, read 9,892,764 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Space_League View Post
everyone likes to crap on whatever neighbor's they imagine as worse off than them. Growing up kids in towns like Chester and Atkinson would crap on Salem, NH. Salem kids would crap on Haverhill and Nashua. Nashua kids would crap on Lowell and Haverhill kids would crap on Lawrence.

Half the time the kids talking were ones who lived in worse neighborhoods than the majority of the cities they're talking about. The other half it was just sheltered kids repeating what they heard from the first group.
How it works in Massachusetts

Town ~5% Richer: Snobby rich brats

Towns 5% poorer: Super trashy

Old 10-25-2019, 06:23 PM

1,460 posts, read 2,336,317 times
Memphis and Baltimore were the first two I thought of. Birmingham used to have a whole lot of this, but it is less now.

Old 10-25-2019, 07:48 PM

1,095 posts, read 487,936 times
I felt like New Jersey's NYC suburbs were like this in the past where people would cherish our great suburbs too much where people would generally avoid NYC, but they mainly avoid the ghetto cities NJ has like Newark. Due to the lack of jobs in NJ's great and easily drieveable neighborhoods, people have no choice, but to work in NYC. As of now, I think people are less afraid of NYC, because they can't find jobs out here. I am afraid going into a city every day for work, which is why I can't live somewhere like NJ where I am required to go to a scary core city just to have a job.

Old 10-25-2019, 08:33 PM

483 posts, read 193,239 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by potanta View Post
I felt like New Jersey's NYC suburbs were like this in the past where people would cherish our great suburbs too much where people would generally avoid NYC, but they mainly avoid the ghetto cities NJ has like Newark. Due to the lack of jobs in NJ's great and easily drieveable neighborhoods, people have no choice, but to work in NYC. As of now, I think people are less afraid of NYC, because they can't find jobs out here. I am afraid going into a city every day for work, which is why I can't live somewhere like NJ where I am required to go to a scary core city just to have a job.
I think this is mostly no longer true of NYC itself, but is more true of places like Newark and Paterson.

Old 10-25-2019, 08:42 PM

1,095 posts, read 487,936 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NDFan View Post
I think this is mostly no longer true of NYC itself, but is more true of places like Newark and Paterson.
And the thing that sucks about NJ is that we do not have the core city within our borders, so we consider Camden and Newark as NJ's core cities. That's what people try to avoid (and Paterson too).

Old 10-25-2019, 08:55 PM

710 posts, read 563,439 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by btownboss4 View Post
How it works in Massachusetts

Town ~5% Richer: Snobby rich brats

Towns 5% poorer: Super trashy
exactly
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.