U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-27-2019, 11:49 AM

6,754 posts, read 8,359,065 times

Advertisements

I'm not afraid to go into any metro but would I might be the better question. I attended night school in Newark in the late 70s for example. But I avoid metros but not out of fear. I just have no use for them
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-27-2019, 11:50 AM

21,579 posts, read 31,255,995 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BigCityDreamer View Post
Washington DC used to be like this. But I'm glad it is no longer viewed this way.

Or at least it is significantly diminished.
It's still there which is of course ridiculous but explains the evolution of Arlington VA neighborhoods like Courthouse and Clarendon which while urban in feel, are very white and somewhat uptight.

Old 10-27-2019, 01:53 PM

1,095 posts, read 488,579 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnhw2 View Post
I'm not afraid to go into any metro but would I might be the better question. I attended night school in Newark in the late 70s for example. But I avoid metros but not out of fear. I just have no use for them
I go to college here in Newark at night (6 PM to 9 PM) and it was not as bad as when my dad attended the same college as I did in the 1980s. Newark was way more ghetto and people would run red lights like crazy. People do get mugged here at 3 AM most of the time, but in the old days, people probably got mugged all the time in broad daylight.

Old 10-27-2019, 02:31 PM

1,131 posts, read 1,305,324 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NDFan View Post
Baltimore, Philadelphia historically (largely not true anymore with the revitalization of Philly over the past 25 years or so), Minneapolis (more than you'd think), Chicago to some extent (similar to Philly; less than it used to be).
I don't know anyone who avoids downtown Chicago; for most, it is a destination accessible by train or car with a ton of things to do from theatre, to concerts, to museums etc. A record 58 million visitors came to the city last year. To throw downtown Chicago into this mix is ridiculous. I travel by train from the burbs every day, and the city is more vibrant now than ever.

Even Detroit has less stigma now amongst suburbanites who used to never come downtown but now have options with sports and dining that they never did before.

I can see some New England towns like Hartford and Springfield that might fit into this mix, Harrisburg in Pennsylvania. I don't know about Birmingham, but Mobile seemed pretty dead, and I doubt Jackson, MS is on the radar of suburbanites. Memphis was downright scary at night downtown when I stayed there, so not sure about that town.

Older people may have there fears about what they remember the city to be during the flight to the suburbs, but reality in most big cities is different today.

Old 10-27-2019, 02:38 PM

1,131 posts, read 1,305,324 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CCrest182 View Post
In Chicago, it feels this way, even though downtown is fairly safe. Most suburbanites who work in the suburbs rarely, if ever venture into the city, unless they're going to some special event, sporting event, concert etc. And most who commute to work in the city only go there, then immediately go back home once they're off. I'd say there's a fairly large suburban/city divide for the most part in Chicago, and I'm pretty sure feeling unsafe in the city is absolutely at least a part of this divide.
As I guy who works in the city and commutes, this is absurd. I will call the wife and will dine, and get the kids and go to all sorts of events and festivals all over the city. They are all packed.

Old 10-27-2019, 03:27 PM

8,861 posts, read 4,464,170 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kyle19125 View Post
It's still there which is of course ridiculous but explains the evolution of Arlington VA neighborhoods like Courthouse and Clarendon which while urban in feel, are very white and somewhat uptight.
It is interesting how often you see people characterize white people as uptight and not cool.

What does skin color have to do with personality and how could you know most people in these neighborhoods.

Old 10-27-2019, 06:41 PM

Location: That star on your map in the middle of the East Coast, DMV
4,263 posts, read 3,667,111 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ClemVegas View Post
It is interesting how often you see people characterize white people as uptight and not cool.

What does skin color have to do with personality and how could you know most people in these neighborhoods.
It doesn’t, I’m Black, consider myself cool, and work near those Arlington neighborhoods mentioned. I would not characterize them as “up tight” or not cool. They are not as hipster as an H Street in DC, but still pretty cool and safe places to hang out for happy hour etc to me.

And also to the contrary of that posters statements, DC is definitely a hangout spot for thousands of people from the suburbs, compared to 20 plus years ago.

Old 10-27-2019, 06:59 PM

1,325 posts, read 696,398 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KY_Transplant View Post
Cleveland, Ohio
i agree. Most of the suburbanites feel if they travel 3 miles outside of their neighborhoods are dangerous. Some even feel if they venture into Downtown Cleveland; they'll get robbed, shot or murdered. To me, a lot of them go by what they read or see in the local news. IMO, it's a racial problem and a class problem.

Old 10-27-2019, 09:48 PM

88,028 posts, read 104,266,596 times
Actually, I think there are people in every metro who are afraid of the core city. I have relatives in suburban Omaha who are afraid to go downtown. Now mind you, most of Douglas County is a part of the city of Omaha these days, so these people actually live in . . .Omaha. I know people who are uncomfortable going to Denver.

Old 10-27-2019, 11:32 PM

155 posts, read 107,892 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vincent_Adultman View Post
I’m surprised to hear that about Reno, but in general this is a much less common phenomenon in the Western US. San Diego, Seattle, San Francisco, Phoenix, Portland, Denver, even central Los Angeles - suburbanites aren’t scared to go into these cities at all. There are usually certain neighborhoods people may try to avoid but they typically make up a very small portion of the city overall. Larger swaths of secondary cities like Oakland, Tacoma, or Aurora are often more likely to be avoided than the main cities.

Because those inner cities don't have as much of a concentration of lower-income black people as found on the East Coast. That's where the higher levels of inner city crime come from. Along the same line Oakland and Tacoma do have a relatively higher concentration of lower income black people
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.