Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-25-2019, 02:39 PM

12,805 posts, read 9,529,246 times

Advertisements

I'm gonna piggy back off of this. Apparently there's an unwritten rule that when the lights turn green, the first car turning left is allowed to go? How funny is that?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-25-2019, 02:56 PM

461 posts, read 545,504 times
Forget NYC and LA. My friend taught his daughter to drive in one day in the mountains here in Colorado. He told her if they got to Our safely that they'd go on a shopping spree. They did both.

I'm a native NYer, but I've driven in so many places that were worse: Jerusalem, Taipei, the jungle in Costa Rica...

Old 10-25-2019, 02:58 PM

6,372 posts, read 4,983,007 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gaylord_Focker View Post
I'm gonna piggy back off of this. Apparently there's an unwritten rule that when the lights turn green, the first car turning left is allowed to go? How funny is that?
I thought that was called a "Pittsburgh left". Have you seen it in other places?

What jarred me coming to Seattle was getting honked at for not turning right on a red arrow - I think onto 405 from Coal Creek or something like that. Apparently in Washington state, a red arrow is equivalent to a regular red light as long as there's no No Turn on Red sign.

Old 10-25-2019, 03:12 PM

12,805 posts, read 9,529,246 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheTimidBlueBars View Post
I thought that was called a "Pittsburgh left". Have you seen it in other places?

What jarred me coming to Seattle was getting honked at for not turning right on a red arrow - I think onto 405 from Coal Creek or something like that. Apparently in Washington state, a red arrow is equivalent to a regular red light as long as there's no No Turn on Red sign.
Seattlites do honk for odd reasons, but it's almost always a low cowardly honk. I prefer driving here than Denver or DC though.

Old 10-30-2019, 06:28 AM

3,524 posts, read 2,313,742 times
Hard No.

Manhattan is a complete shock to the senses from a driving experience even for other big city drivers just due to the amount of people and vehicles sharing space. Still large cities with big cores like Philly, DC, LA, Boston etc.. one still need to be super aware and you best know how to parallel park... quickly.

Now in the grand scheme of things... NYC is a walk in the park. Had the "luxury" of being a taxi passenger in Manila, Philippines and I may have said a prayer or two

Old 10-30-2019, 06:53 AM

27,541 posts, read 28,625,446 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oistrakh12 View Post
Do you think anyone that passes a driving test from the DMV in any of the states would be able to confidently drive and park anywhere in the United States?
I got my driver's license in Prince George's County, Maryland decades ago.

I have driven extensively in DC, Philly, NYC, Boston, Toronto, Montreal, Miami, New Orleans, LA, San Francisco and many other cities. I do mean the surface streets, downtowns and residential neighborhoods in the core of these cities. As with anything, you develop confidence with experience.

Old 10-30-2019, 07:07 AM

27,541 posts, read 28,625,446 times
I will say that San Francisco is a bit scary because some of the hills are so steep that it feels like your vehicle is going to tip over.

But people park their cars and vans on those streets at 90 degree angles like it's nothing.

Old 10-30-2019, 07:40 AM

3,715 posts, read 3,692,864 times
Not on account of the DMV test. On account of practice.....yes.

Old 10-30-2019, 08:03 AM

7,108 posts, read 8,959,749 times
I think large urban areas require a different skill.

I find cities that are lower density with longer blocks like Memphis tend to be the most reckless due to higher speed limits. I've seen speed limits in residential areas at 40 and 45 mph. That would never fly in a place like DC or even St. Louis.

If you take a Memphis type driver and put them in the middle of Manhattan, they stand a chance of hitting someone or getting terribly frustrated. They simply dont have the awareness to navigate such a large city.

When traveling to big cities, I usually like taking their transit when possible. Not only does one avoid traffic issues, it gives a good snap shot of what the city is like.

Old 10-30-2019, 08:04 AM

9,468 posts, read 10,793,341 times
When I was younger I went on a road trip to California with a friend of mine. He was driving when we entered LA. The highway was 10 lanes wide, divers seemed to be insane. He pulled over because it was getting to him that bad and I drove through LA instead. To rural people like us seeing that was nothing short of culture shock. (Not just the traffic either) Since then I did several years as an over the road truck driver. I’ve seen every big city in America. I still believe LA is crazy beyond belief. Places like that don’t scare me but still I wonder how people who live there put up with it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.