U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-01-2019, 12:44 PM

8,293 posts, read 16,425,431 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by danielj72 View Post
Yes places overseas are much worse. I’ve heard cities in India are the worst driving anywhere in the world. I saw a video where an American had an accident in one of these cities and the locals attacked him for it when they learned he was an American.
I've never driven in India. It's strongly advised that you don't. That said, I've been driven in cars and auto-ricks in New Delhi, Mumbai, and Chennai. It's the worst driving I've seen from a pure chaos standpoint. If there are marked lanes and lights (and there are very few instances of this relative to American cities), they're blatantly disregarded. You'll also be sharing the road with cyclists, families of 5 on motorcycles, camels, cows, the occasional elephant, goats, trucks, carts, etc. Vietnam and Thailand are similarly chaotic, but not quite as bad in my experience.

As a driver, Ireland surprised me with how challenging it could be in a very different way. Not in the city, but on the rural, country roads. Ultra narrow, tight corners, hairpin bends on mountainsides, etc. Nothing awful, but it took me a while before I got comfortable getting up to the marked speed limits in some places, and even then, there were stretches where I couldn't believe the speed limit is as high as it is. It's one of the few places where I actually looked forward to getting into some of the more built up areas, or on a highway.

Generally though, I agree that if you spend some time abroad, you'll likely find driving in the U.S. to be a walk in the park.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigCityDreamer View Post
In Manhattan, it is actually the pedestrians that you have to watch out for on those gridded streets. They don’t even stop crossing when your light is green. Some of them don’t even look.
I don't think pedestrians in Manhattan are bad at all. Yes, sometimes it's challenging for a driver if you're turning left or right on a green and pedestrians crossing the street you're turning onto have the walk sign; but they have the right of way and it's on the driver to yield. I don't have too many issues in scenarios where pedestrians are walking in front of me without the right of way. I've had a far worse time with pedestrians crossing whenever they feel like it here in Boston.

Last edited by lrfox; 11-01-2019 at 12:58 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-01-2019, 12:49 PM

25,150 posts, read 18,653,856 times
I'm from a small metro and had a tough time driving in Chicago and especially Boston. I'd never take a car into the core of those cities again.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.