U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-27-2019, 09:22 PM

484 posts, read 194,142 times

Advertisements

It is impossible to classify entire states in the South as "New South"/"Not Southern" or "Old South" and largely pointless to try.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-28-2019, 02:33 AM
_OT

2,158 posts, read 1,597,762 times
I can buy my Milos sweet tea in South Florida and Texas.

They’re Southern.

Old 10-28-2019, 06:51 AM

47,128 posts, read 37,939,109 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Heel82 View Post
That’s odd to me since unsweet is very popular in restaurants because people are so particular about their sweeteners. If the sugar container isn’t already on the table, then you give the color preference as you order (pink, yellow, blue, white). My parents only ever drank unsweetened tea with packets.
You took the words right out of my mouth. My husband and I order unsweet tea whenever we eat out (in the south) - no issues whatsoever.

Old 10-28-2019, 05:53 PM

5,868 posts, read 16,121,142 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ClemVegas View Post
Most Democrats politicians didn't change parties. You are trying to use the exception to the rule to argue for a big party switch.
I strongly suggest you study some history.
TONS of Democrat politicians in the south switched to the Republican party, slowly, after Reagan took office. It's funny how the stances of the two parties have essentially switched over the years.
Most Southern politician are now Republican. People who lived and died as Democrats from the Depression until the 1980s now have children who are staunch Republicans.

Old 10-28-2019, 06:22 PM

8,864 posts, read 4,469,104 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Southlander View Post
TONS of Democrat politicians in the south switched to the Republican party, slowly, after Reagan took office. It's funny how the stances of the two parties have essentially switched over the years.
Most Southern politician are now Republican. People who lived and died as Democrats from the Depression until the 1980s now have children who are staunch Republicans.
The two platforms haven't switched. As I've pointed out, the GOP doesn't consider FDR one of the greatest presidents. No Republican is pushing for segregation.

I think you need to take your own advice about studying history.

Here's a list of party switches by politicians in the House: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_o...itched_parties

Here's a list of senators that switched:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_o...itched_parties

It doesn't match up with your assertion.

Most southern politicians are Republican because a majority of voters are Republican, not because the GOP supports racism.

Old 10-28-2019, 07:40 PM

1,134 posts, read 424,965 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Southlander View Post
The switch didn’t particularly happen with sitting politicians, but it did happen in the base. But it predates Reagan. The split happened in the late 60s, but it seems rather clear it was McGovernism at the root. McGovernites started to assert control on the national Democratic apparatus while the anti-McGovernites stuck to the state politics. Southern Dems did well working past the split for awhile, but time and increasing polarization made it untenable.

Old 10-28-2019, 09:42 PM

955 posts, read 813,180 times
“Democrat politician” isn’t a thing. It’s “Democratic”.
The GOP intentionally started calling it “Democrat” about 30 years ago. Democratic sounds too positive.
It’s a disparaging label when used incorrectly.

Old 10-28-2019, 11:09 PM

5,536 posts, read 2,410,020 times
Unsouthern? Is that like the "un-cola" drink we used to hear about?

Old 10-28-2019, 11:38 PM

1,134 posts, read 424,965 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by spencer114 View Post
“Democrat politician” isn’t a thing. It’s “Democratic”.
The GOP intentionally started calling it “Democrat” about 30 years ago. Democratic sounds too positive.
It’s a disparaging label when used incorrectly.
Democratic is the adjective, Democrat is the noun, it doesn’t seem that big a deal.

Old 10-28-2019, 11:59 PM

3,130 posts, read 2,303,886 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by snoopygirlmi View Post
Well.....the GOP has an interesting history in the south. It was the party of Lincoln and very dominant during the reconstruction era - when quite a few black republicans were elected to public office in the south. Then it died out for awhile and now is the considered the popular party of the south again. So - these things ebb and flow and don't remain stagnant.

As a Northerner, I know when I've hit the south because there are just a lot of the cultural markers in the south that just aren't in the north. And I still can't wrap my head around the fact that people keep trying to offer me sweet tea when I order iced tea at the local fast food/fast casual places up here - even though it's been a thing for the past 10 years. I just don't get it and just stopped ordering iced tea after having my order screwed up one too many times - a lot of people just couldn't wrap their head around the fact that I really didn't want their newest and great product, sweet tea. Seriously? .
The South turned Republicans soon after LBJ signed the Civil Rights Bill in 1964 and the forced integration of the public schools. LBJ said something to the effect that the Republicans will take the South for many decades to come. Take a look how so many of the counties thru out the Deep South voted over 90% Democrat in almost every Presidential election since thr end of Reconstruction and before 1965. The South was ferociously Democrat.

If you don't like Sweet Tea, it's probably because you never had sweet tea that was made right. Most Northeners will serve their tea unsweet and iced and then add the sugar and stir it up. The problem with that is, sugar won't disolve in cold water. It sinks to the bottom. I don't like that kind of tea either. I'd just as soon have a glass of ice water with a wedge of lime.

Nothing is so refreshing and enjoyable on a hot summer day than ice cold sweet tea that is fresh, crisp, and smooth and served in a cold glass with a wedge of lime. When it's made right and it's fresh, it's almost impossible not to enjoy a glass of sweet tea. You really do need to give it a chance next time you're in the South.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or