U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-27-2019, 07:21 PM

635 posts, read 170,736 times

Advertisements

My fiance loves his herb so his goal is to relocate to a state where he can grow his own 'medicine'. His top 3 states for moving to are California, Nevada, and Washington, maybe Colorado.

Any advice on which state may be best for long term living, where the devils lettuce is legal recreationally? Those who live in such states - do you like it? Does being weed-friendly affect you & your lifestyle?

Thank you in advance. (No, I don't smoke. At all.)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-27-2019, 08:23 PM

5,536 posts, read 2,406,068 times
Based on two states I've lived in - one legal, the other not - I found the "not" state to be infinitely better. Sure, one has to be more discrete, but it was worth it (back when it was relevant).

The other one - the legal one - was overrated, overhyped, more expensive, and filled with puppet heads. I didn't imbibe, but it would have been even more ridiculous being high around those fools.

You really have to keep the matters separate. Go to the state/area that most matches your roots and kind of people, regardless of the legal status. The trend is towards most states changing to legal anyway.

Old 10-27-2019, 08:24 PM

1,696 posts, read 1,013,605 times
All of those states mentioned, with the exception of Nevada, are the states I think most people think of when they think of "weed legal" states.

The reality is, marijuana legalization is no longer confined to the west/west coast. It's grown every year to more states, and will only keep growing until it is fully legalized on the national stage.

States with full legalization include: California, Oregon, Washington, Nevada, Colorado, Michigan, Massachusetts, Maine, Vermont, and (After Jan 1, 2020) Illinois, and DC.

Old 10-27-2019, 08:28 PM

6,556 posts, read 3,712,550 times
Washington law doesn't allow people to grow their own recreational pot. You have to buy it from licensed sellers. I think people with a medicinal card still can.

Old 10-27-2019, 08:32 PM
Status: "Coffee is at least 3 of my food groups" (set 6 days ago)

1,952 posts, read 906,249 times
I've lived in Nevada since legalization there and am now in Washington. It seems to be bigger here than in Nevada, but it's not like you can't walk down the street without smelling weed smoke. I would maybe estimate there are 10 or 20 dispensaries in the Seattle city limits.

Personally, I'm not a fan of mind-altering substances and I have to admit I like people less when I find out they're frequent users, but I don't think we should send people to jail for doing them. I do think society should be clearer about the risks of psychoactive drugs, the same way we are about alcohol, but that's a separate question from legalization.

Old 10-27-2019, 09:28 PM

5,342 posts, read 3,908,110 times
I'd pick the state that provides the best employment opportunities, best CoL and the climate you prefer. As mentioned, don't rule out the Midwest unless you don't dig Winter. As noted by CCrest, we go fully legal here in Illinois for recreational on January 1st and Michigan has also legalized recreational. You'd need a medical card to grow your own here in Illinois, but it's easy to get and even without the Medical card, it's a slap on the wrist (civil offense) if you get caught growing your own.

To your other question, if you enjoy the "devils lettuce", living in a legal state does make a difference. Much of the taboo is removed and it quite honestly makes partaking much more enjoyable. Good Luck!

Old 10-27-2019, 11:31 PM

710 posts, read 563,439 times
If he's doing an indoor grow, New England has a good climate for that. It can get extremely impractical and downright wasteful to grow indoors when it's warm out. You end up effectively heating and cooling the same space and the AC costs will run you more than the lights. The lamps will produce anywhere from a moderate to very large amount of heat, which can be recycled to warm your house in the winter so someplace like Mass or Maine have good climates for that.

If he's more interested in outdoor gardening the opposite is more true. While many can and do grow outdoors in the New England states, the climate out west (Cali) is much better suited for that, and you will enjoy a longer season, larger harvests, and more options in terms of cultivars.

Last edited by Space_League; 10-27-2019 at 11:40 PM..

Old 10-28-2019, 12:41 AM

30 posts, read 8,226 times
If you want to grow your own stuff then there is no better state than Michigan right now. Anybody can have up to 12 plants.

I think Washington doesn't even allow you to grow at all.

Old 10-28-2019, 03:29 AM

1,172 posts, read 373,574 times
I would love Nevada. I think the majority of people would love the weather there. It's just a bit dry, but other places are much worse.

Old 10-28-2019, 10:00 AM

3,124 posts, read 1,675,126 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bobishere View Post
If you want to grow your own stuff then there is no better state than Michigan right now. Anybody can have up to 12 plants.

I think Washington doesn't even allow you to grow at all.
Massachusetts lets you have 12 plants per household as well. There are only 30 recreational dispensaries right now though and they add about 4 per month.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or