U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-05-2019, 04:41 PM

346 posts, read 68,261 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by bus man View Post
One thing that hasn't really been touched on is that topography plays a big role in what the speed limits are/should be. A rural freeway going through the mountains should have a lower speed limit than the same road crossing the prairie, for example. So it's hard to say what a statewide maximum should be, because some states have a variety of topography.
Exactly! That's why I think Middle and especially West TN are too slow. Yet, there are some (not all) parts of East TN that should actually be lower.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-05-2019, 08:06 PM

3,298 posts, read 4,251,386 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bus man View Post
Perhaps you're not old enough to remember the national speed limit (max. 55 on all roads) that was imposed duringthe 1970s oil crisis. If you are, then you'll remember that the law was widely despised and often flouted. It was a lot like Prohibition: something that's good for society, but that most members of society didn't want. And I do believe that a society of free-born citizens can decide for themselves under what restrictions they are and are not willing to live.
I was there on Day two or three. I was living in Vancouver, BC and was driving down to California for American Thanksgiving.

The Governors of Washington, Oregon, and California (Evans, McCall, and Reagan) imposed the 55 MPH speed limit and turned out all the lights along I-5. Actually, Evans set the speed limit at 50 MPH, but later joined McCall and Reagan and raised it to 55 MPH.

IF people are unwilling to drive 55 MPH....then lets quit talking a climate change. 30% reduction in CO2 emissions at virtually no cost to consumers. The benefits are amazing.

Time to "go back to the past".

I loved the 55 MPH speed limit.

Old 11-05-2019, 09:37 PM
sub

1,107 posts, read 516,354 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 509 View Post
I was there on Day two or three. I was living in Vancouver, BC and was driving down to California for American Thanksgiving.

The Governors of Washington, Oregon, and California (Evans, McCall, and Reagan) imposed the 55 MPH speed limit and turned out all the lights along I-5. Actually, Evans set the speed limit at 50 MPH, but later joined McCall and Reagan and raised it to 55 MPH.

IF people are unwilling to drive 55 MPH....then lets quit talking a climate change. 30% reduction in CO2 emissions at virtually no cost to consumers. The benefits are amazing.

Time to "go back to the past".

I’m personally a climate change agnostic or something equivalent, but I do find it interesting that environmentalists have little to say on one of the easiest things we can do to reduce pollution and use of fossil fuels NOW. Electric cars aren’t going to fully replace combustion engine vehicles for a few more decades. So in the meantime......
If the average person who’s supposedly concerned about the environment still thinks it’s more important to get somewhere 5 minutes faster than it is to “save” the environment, then how serious can the problem really be?
For PR purposes alone they should be clamoring for 55.
I’ve stated my other reasons for lower speed limits due to the problems of modern traffic like congestion, distractions, crumbling and inadequate infrastructure, etc.. but I can’t stress them enough.

Old 11-06-2019, 08:18 AM

5,775 posts, read 7,169,327 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by IowanFarmer View Post
Iowa

Rural freeway/interstate: 70. Should be 75.
I think the Iowa freeway speed limit was 75 prior to 1974.

Old 11-06-2019, 08:20 AM

Quote:

Then drive 55. You do not have to drive at the maximum allowable speed.

Old 11-06-2019, 10:50 AM

539 posts, read 172,928 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ram2 View Post
I think the Iowa freeway speed limit was 75 prior to 1974.
That wouldn't surprise me. There's absolutely no reason to be as slow as it is.

We were still at 65 less than 10 years ago.

Old 11-06-2019, 10:58 AM

4,589 posts, read 1,331,251 times
I would be fine with rural 2 lane highways in Oregon being set to 60 instead of 55. I know the State Patrol isn't worried about it. I set my cruise on 63 and have been followed by the police for miles and miles. No problem. I think I-5 should be 75 instead of 70. Our Subaru gets 30 MPG at 70 mph.

Old 11-06-2019, 11:26 AM

6,035 posts, read 3,871,695 times
Quote:
Do you have a source for the 30 percent reduction statistic? In a quick search, what I found was a Dutch study that found that reducing the speed limit (from what?) to 80 kph (50 mph) would reduce transportation emissions by highway users by 30 percent. This, of course, is not the same as reducing all C02 emissions by that amount. The study also noted that reducing the speed limit to 90 kph (approximately 56 mph) would reduce highway emissions by only 21 percent.

https://www.ce.nl/publicatie/why_slower_is_better/948

The study noted that these were long-term reductions and assumed that a certain percentage of the population would choose to forego auto travel (as a result of the longer travel times) and would instead either switch to train travel or move closer to urban areas. And finally, the report noted that their findings were applicable only to the Netherlands and may vary elsewhere.

https://www.wired.com/2010/06/50-mph...urb-emissions/

Old 11-06-2019, 02:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by IowanFarmer View Post
That wouldn't surprise me. There's absolutely no reason to be as slow as it is.

We were still at 65 less than 10 years ago.
So were Ohio, Wisconsin, and Illinois.

Old 11-06-2019, 02:52 PM

539 posts, read 172,928 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ram2 View Post
So were Ohio, Wisconsin, and Illinois.
They're all east of the Mississippi and have larger populations/more traffic than Iowa. Pretty sure we were the last state west of the river to switch.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or