U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-30-2019, 08:26 PM

5,829 posts, read 8,995,649 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Live in a quiet, private neighborhood with no sense of the hub-bub of life intruding.
In less than 15 minutes be able to access a local farm, a supermarket, or a specialty market like a Whole Foods.
In less than 25 minutes be to any sort of shopping I need (from small privately owned town shops to major malls).
In less than 30-35 minutes be in a major city that offers a world class restaurants, museums, and music (classical, jazz, pop, rock...).
In less than one hour be to a selection of major arboretums, gardens, towns noted for arts, fairs, and history.
In less than 90 minutes be at the beach.
In less than two hours have access to other large cities that have their own unique things to offer.
Newark, DE has it all.

OK it may be a bit farther than 35 minutes to Philly but it is <35 minutes to Wilmington which has a symphony. Plus you have the best arboretums and gardens nearby, even one right in town.

Of course Baltimore and DC are < 2 hours away.

95 minutes to the beach and Lewes is the quaintest "beach" town.

No taxes, I believe.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-31-2019, 07:50 AM

159 posts, read 67,389 times
Thanks creeksitter. I live in South Jersey so this is a close option for me. I had actually considered the Hockessin area but the hesitation I have with DE is the weather. Still gets pretty cold in the winter months with snow and ice. True, though - no sales tax. Property taxes not too bad for the NE region.

Old 10-31-2019, 11:52 AM

50 posts, read 10,423 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tonyp22 View Post
I very much like where I live, but it is a part of the country that is not friendly for retirement (either money-wise, or for me as I get older weather-wise). I'll be soon moving to that next phase of my life, and I've done a bit of research here and on other online resources - taken some trips across the country - but finding a new place to live is not so easy. Is there anywhere in a warm weather part of the country that can offer what I already have, but in a retirement friendly State?
  1. Live in a quiet, private neighborhood with no sense of the hub-bub of life intruding.
  2. In less than 15 minutes be able to access a local farm, a supermarket, or a specialty market like a Whole Foods.
  3. In less than 25 minutes be to any sort of shopping I need (from small privately owned town shops to major malls).
  4. In less than 30-35 minutes be in a major city that offers a world class restaurants, museums, and music (classical, jazz, pop, rock...).
  5. In less than one hour be to a selection of major arboretums, gardens, towns noted for arts, fairs, and history.
  6. In less than 90 minutes be at the beach.
  7. In less than two hours have access to other large cities that have their own unique things to offer.
Many areas tick off some of the boxes, but I haven't yet found one that satisfies all. I'm hoping such a retirement friendly area exists somewhere.
La Jolla...but then you have to deal with the California cost of living, taxes, etc.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.