U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-28-2019, 09:34 AM

160 posts, read 67,619 times

Advertisements

I very much like where I live, but it is a part of the country that is not friendly for retirement (either money-wise, or for me as I get older weather-wise). I'll be soon moving to that next phase of my life, and I've done a bit of research here and on other online resources - taken some trips across the country - but finding a new place to live is not so easy. Is there anywhere in a warm weather part of the country that can offer what I already have, but in a retirement friendly State?
  1. Live in a quiet, private neighborhood with no sense of the hub-bub of life intruding.
  2. In less than 15 minutes be able to access a local farm, a supermarket, or a specialty market like a Whole Foods.
  3. In less than 25 minutes be to any sort of shopping I need (from small privately owned town shops to major malls).
  4. In less than 30-35 minutes be in a major city that offers a world class restaurants, museums, and music (classical, jazz, pop, rock...).
  5. In less than one hour be to a selection of major arboretums, gardens, towns noted for arts, fairs, and history.
  6. In less than 90 minutes be at the beach.
  7. In less than two hours have access to other large cities that have their own unique things to offer.
Many areas tick off some of the boxes, but I haven't yet found one that satisfies all. I'm hoping such a retirement friendly area exists somewhere.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-28-2019, 10:14 AM

1,539 posts, read 1,170,244 times
Just to summarize, you want an area on the outskirts of a city (but not in the city), within 90 minutes to the ocean?

Savannah
Jacksonville
Wilmington
Hampton Roads
Mobile
A good portion of Florida
east raleigh suburbs

Old 10-28-2019, 10:38 AM

4,053 posts, read 1,763,095 times
Tampa Bay area (Polk/Pasco Counties)
Jacksonville FL (Clay/Nassau Counties)
Charleston SC (Berkeley/Dorchester Counties)
Norfolk/VA Beach. area.
They all rate high on my retirement list and are pretty affordable depending on where in the area you live.

Old 10-28-2019, 01:05 PM

4,361 posts, read 6,508,818 times
Pricier than those named, and you don't say what your budget is, but I'd think of Marin County Ca. --specifically towns like San Rafael or Novato, which would tick off all your boxes. Contrary to popular opinion you can live in the Bay Area in a place bigger than the size of a closet and not pay a million dollars for it. (You don't say what size house/condo you want, but in retirement I presume you're not looking for four bedrooms, a finished basement, and a three car garage.) You'd be near Sacramento and San Jose for major cities as well as San Francisco. Getting to SF in under a half-hour might not work, but you'd certainly be able to in less than an hour. And one more caveat: There are beaches nearby. But they're often really cold!

Last edited by citylove101; 10-28-2019 at 01:13 PM..

Old 10-28-2019, 01:55 PM

@citylove101, I've been to that area and agree, but CA is not (to me anyway) an income friendly State for a person on a fixed retirement income. While I'd consider living in other than a no income tax State, CA's taxes on a retiree would be too onerous, IMO.

Old 10-28-2019, 01:57 PM

25,168 posts, read 18,669,259 times
Asheville, NC if you can compromise on the beach part. Parts of Maine may also work.

Old 10-29-2019, 03:47 PM

3,392 posts, read 2,101,102 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tonyp22 View Post
CA's taxes on a retiree would be too onerous, IMO.

Did you look at the CA income tax rules, or are you just assuming they'll be bad? CA does not tax SS benefits and it has many brackets, starting out at 1%, then 2%. The highest bracket of 13.3% is on income over $1M.

Last edited by hikernut; 10-29-2019 at 05:11 PM..

Old 10-30-2019, 12:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hikernut View Post
Did you look at the CA income tax rules, or are you just assuming they'll be bad? CA does not tax SS benefits and it has many brackets, starting out at 1%, then 2%. The highest bracket of 13.3% is on income over $1M.
Yes, I looked at a number of online calculators for taxes (including retirement income) across various States. For CA I calculated I'd be paying close to 25% more relative to other States that are considered more tax friendly (not counting a State like FL with imposes no taxes on retiree income).

Old 10-30-2019, 01:15 PM

Thanks so far for the suggestions. Most of these are on the go-to list of popular locations, so I've had a chance to look at (and visit) some of them already (but not all). Asheville would not make it given its distance from a shoreline.

Savannah is a great small city. like some of the others here - many of the boxes get checked off. World class restaurants, great local history, a very nice beach in Tybee Island. Art scene is decent IMO, A couple of things keep it from being a top pick for me. Really nothing notable in terms of a classical music presence. Too far from a major city.

Jacksonville is an interesting area. A huge city when looked at in terms of square miles, and some very nice local neighborhoods. Not too far from some nice beaches. Jacksonville has a great yearly jazz event, and a decent symphony, but has only an okay art scene (to my knowledge not many touring exhibitions stop at the city museums). But the core city is a little weird. Been through it many times. Apart from the Riverside section, the city itself seems - especially on the weekends - kind of deserted. No one walking around. No real influx of folks heading into the city to do the sorts of things people might go to a big city to do. Restaurant scene is only so-so IMO, but my exploration in that respect only spans about 30 total days of visiting there.

Been to the Tampa / Clearwater area a few times. Lovely beach - IMO maybe the best I've experienced. Not sure the music scene is anything to speak of, though.

I dropped the Mobile area only because (and this will sound a little crazy since FL is on my list) it seems that part of the country gets hit pretty hard with Gulf borne storms.

Charleston is interesting. I love the town. A great restaurant scene. But while they have a standing symphony orchestra their programme looks pretty predictable and basic. Play the standards and they will come. Lovely gardens in that area, though.

Norfolk? Hadn't thought of that area. It turns out the VA Symphony is located here, and they have (or had) a conductor of some note - JoAnn Falletta. But she is stepping down at the end of this season. I'd otherwise need to explore this area a bit more. Not far from Chesapeake and Newport News, that's nice. Maybe still a little too cold in the winter months.

Old 10-30-2019, 01:16 PM

3,392 posts, read 2,101,102 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tonyp22 View Post
Yes, I looked at a number of online calculators for taxes (including retirement income) across various States. For CA I calculated I'd be paying close to 25% more relative to other States that are considered more tax friendly (not counting a State like FL with imposes no taxes on retiree income).
For federal taxes I've found TaxCaster to be very accurate and easy to use. It can handle anything that I need to consider... SS benefits, IRA income, capital gains and dividends, extra deduction amounts for 65+, etc.

For state income taxes I have not had similar luck. The online calculators I've found are very primitive and not accurate for retirement scenarios. I've had to go to the individual state revenue websites and read through their rules, which is quite tedious. If you've found calculator(s) that can handle the things I mentioned above, would you mind sharing the url(s)?

Thanks
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.