U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-29-2019, 11:24 AM

1,075 posts, read 1,088,073 times

Advertisements

Philly has many historic and visually interesting cemeteries, notably Laurel Hill, a National Historic Landmark. In addition to its historic significance, it has excellent views of the Schuylkill River and, if you are a Rocky fan, you can visit Adrian's grave (if you've seen "Rocky Balboa," you've seen Laurel Hill).

Many others here, too: https://philly.curbed.com/maps/histo...hia-cemeteries
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-29-2019, 11:39 AM

6,886 posts, read 4,968,576 times
I was looking at a cemetery last night on YouTube, not in my city but in my state. It's the Pioneer Cemetery in Richmond, Missouri. It's a Mormon cemetery and what's interesting about it is Bloody Bill Anderson is buried there. His grave is all by itself close to a road. I tried to post the video but as usual I had trouble. If you want to see it on YouTube type in, William Anderson and his sister Josephine, by Rhettyforfun.

Old 10-29-2019, 11:52 AM

126 posts, read 87,555 times
Spring Grove Cemetery here in Cincinnati is the second largest cemetery in the country and arguably one of the most beautiful. It has the type of large mausoleums you see in older cities like New Orleans, but they are set in a park like setting with room to explore. Comparable to Père Lachaise Cemetery in Paris in many ways.

Old 10-29-2019, 01:03 PM

4,966 posts, read 9,156,817 times
Houston National Cemetery is currently the second-largest VA cemetery (after more famous Arlington). It has a rare hemicycle courtyard, which Arlington and Manila are the others to feature this style.

The Wikipedia article states "It was the only government cemetery constructed in the United States during the 1960s and was the largest of its kind at the time of construction." Considering that it was the only one constructed in the middle of the Vietnam War is astounding!

Old 10-29-2019, 01:59 PM

1,324 posts, read 695,807 times
Lake View Cemetery is legendary in Cleveland. Elliot Ness and Harvey Pekar are buried there.

Old 10-29-2019, 03:43 PM

191 posts, read 64,553 times
Some in NYC outside Manhattan:

Green-Wood Cemetery in Brooklyn is great. Highest point in Brooklyn too, so nice views.

Woodlawn in the Bronx - beautiful and many notable burials.

Calvary Cemetery in Queens - not really appealing to look at but has the highest number of interments in the US at 3 million+ which is just mind-boggling. Cut into thirds by 2 highways. It's really crazy. Across the street is a much, much smaller (but still huge) Jewish cemetery as well so there's just a TON of bodies in this area.

Old 10-29-2019, 04:29 PM

6,326 posts, read 3,643,133 times
Lakewood Cemetery in Minneapolis. Just beautiful. Visited during a rainy Memorial Day this year.

Old 10-29-2019, 05:28 PM

2,810 posts, read 2,128,680 times
In Pittsburgh...

https://alleghenycemetery.com

In Bethel Park south of Pittsburgh...

https://www.warhol.org/andy-warhols-life/figment/ No need to visit though you can see it on the cam

Old 10-29-2019, 06:14 PM

3,995 posts, read 3,189,257 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by QCongress83216 View Post
Lake View Cemetery is legendary in Cleveland. Elliot Ness and Harvey Pekar are buried there.
I've lived in 3 cities/metro areas. Out of them, Cleveland FAR and AWAY has the most compelling cemeteries to visit.

Cleveland-
Lakeview Cemetery: Beyond what QCongress mentions... this is probably one of the top 5 most visit worthy cemeteries in all of the US.
1. It functions as a civic space still. There are walking tours, 5K runs, other events throughout the year, and if I lived there still, it would be a regular jogging/hiking spot. It's 285 acres (I know size isn't everything... but Pere Lachaise in Paris is only 110 acres... and Mount Auburn Cemetery in Boston is 174 acres, for reference).
2. It also literally has a Lakeview. It sits on a gorgeous piece of land overlooking the Cleveland Skyline, a mass of lush forest, and has views out to Lake Erie. This is the view from the top of Garfield Monument:
https://www.google.com/search?q=clev...Q8-g-D-DOfvkTM
3. It has impressive architecture. For instance, Wade Chapel, perhaps the Magnum Opus project for Louis Comfort Tiffany, as I believe the mosaic inside is his largest single stained class work. In addition, the Garfield Monument, the largest mausoleum dedicated to a POTUS, and the dam there above it was along with the art museum atrium, HQ of Shield from the Avengers movies.
4. Besides President Garfield and the other people Q mentioned, John D Rockefeller, Charles Brush (inventor of the traffic light), Edwin Porter Williams (Sherwin Williams cofounder), Alan Freed (Rock and Roll), and John Hay (Abraham Lincoln's Secretary of State), among others...

A couple others that are notable in the city:
Erie Street Cemetery (Oldest in the city dating to 1826/right across from Progressive Field)
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Erie_Street_Cemetery
Woodland Cemetery (Perhaps less noticeable than the other two but still quite interesting. John Brown, the famous abolitionist, and John Green, the person who introduced "Labor Day" to Ohio and in turn, the US, are probably the two to see here.)
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Woodla...ery_(Cleveland)

Then, I lived in Orlando for college. Only one real notable one here, though the suburb of Oviedo I must say has a really interesting historic cemetery tour around Halloween with impersonators and everything that I've done 2-3 times.

Greenwood Cemetery-Orlando: This one has a pretty decent tour one Friday night a month that fills pretty fast, or at least that was my experience. It has the highest point in Orlando city limits, and is a decently pretty garden style cemetery for Orlando to have being such a new city. Some notable people there would be Francis Eppes, grandson of Thomas Jefferson and founder of Florida State University, along with Joe Tinker, in the Baseball HOF.

Tampa: So, this is a pretty small one, but still interesting to visit if in town and I believe tours are offered, which I haven't yet taken. With it's small size and stones throughout it feels a bit more like a New Orleans style cemetery IMO, another way in which Tampa feels quite similar to NOLA, at least regarding it's "bones" (and pun not intended on that lol). Vincente Martinez Ybor (Cigar Industrialist who made Tampa cigar capital of world and founded Ybor City.. really made Tampa more like a "real city"), Joseph Lancaster, first mayor of Tampa, as well as a Yellow Fever epidemic memorial and an unknown pirate that passed in the city in 1850 (history is quite recent!).

Sarasota National Cemetery: This was the first National Cemetery I had visited other than Arlington. Not necessarily anything earth shattering, but it was interesting to see at least. It's pretty sizable at 295 acres.
https://www.bradenton.com/news/local...235663062.html
Made news recently for this touching event ^

I'm not sure if there's a cemetery of a similar stature in St. Pete, but I like visiting places like this so I plan to check and see, along with visiting the Florida National Cemetery up in Bushnell at some point.

Old 10-29-2019, 07:01 PM

712 posts, read 499,979 times
Swan Point Cemetery in Providence is worth visiting. Established in the 1840s and on the National Register of Historic Sites. It's a garden cemetery on a hill that goes down to the river. Beautiful place
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or