U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-01-2019, 07:01 PM

4,348 posts, read 4,930,493 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Foamposite View Post
Why do people keep mentioning that their state isn't that liberal because it has areas with conservatives?

Of course your state is not 100% Democrat, nowhere is. But if you live in a state like California with a one party, leftist state government, then it functionally does not matter if there are a lot of conservatives in rural California.
Because people make assumptions about your personal politics and personality based on where you're from. Especially California, NY and Massachusetts for left, and "southern state here" for right.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-01-2019, 07:11 PM

2,652 posts, read 809,634 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CookieSkoon View Post
Because people make assumptions about your personal politics and personality based on where you're from. Especially California, NY and Massachusetts for left, and "southern state here" for right.
Well that would be a bad generalization to make about the people. But as far as the state governments go, that is usually correct.

Old 11-01-2019, 07:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Foamposite View Post
Well that would be a bad generalization to make about the people. But as far as the state governments go, that is usually correct.
The thread is about stereotypes. That's a people thing, not government. Hence, talking about how people think about people.

Old 11-02-2019, 09:11 AM

47,101 posts, read 37,914,413 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Screenwriter70 View Post
Being a Tarheel born and bred, I can add a few things. People - at least, those from up North - stereotype NC natives as 'backwards' & 'dumb'. (Most non Southerners tend to view all of us as 'stupid' hillbillies, even those of us who live in cities.) I have been told that I talk 'country' by Black people from NYC, NJ, Boston, and other states where the accents grate on the ear - they do mine, anyway. We're supposedly all sweet tea drinking rednecks & step-n-fetchits who eat grits every morning and pretend to be cordial to everyone. Oh, and we're all Bible thumpers.

I don't fit the southern stereotype at all, other than sometimes eating grits and drinking sweet tea (not too sweet though, just enough to bring out the taste. And I always add lemon to mine). I'm a Black Southern agnostic woman with no kids, never been on welfare or lived on public housing, and I don't speak Ebonics, nor am I crazy about barbecue, corn bread, or cooked greens. And I hate chitterlings!
Hey, you left out that we're "fake friendly." Why, bless yo little pea pickin' heart!

Old 11-02-2019, 09:17 AM

47,101 posts, read 37,914,413 times
OK, about Texas:

1) No, we don't ride horses to school or work. And most of us don't own horses - or oil wells.

2) We're also not all "packing." The state is a lot more moderate politically and in practice than most people who haven't spent much time here realize.

3) OK, there ARE a lot of big pick up trucks around here, but to be fair, many of them are necessary due to lifestyle and/or work.

4) Most of the population of Texas lives in the eastern half of the country, where we have a) no deserts, b) plenty of trees and greenery, and c) fall color and four seasons (note that I never said "four evenly spaced seasons").

Old 11-02-2019, 10:45 AM

8,859 posts, read 4,464,170 times
I don't think there are any true negative stereotypes regarding southern states once you control for partisan political characterizations.

There are some harmless cartoonish type stereotypes such as southerners all like grits and sweet tea, and eat grits and drink sweet tea regularly, etc.

Old 11-02-2019, 10:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ClemVegas View Post
I don't think there are any true negative stereotypes regarding southern states once you control for partisan political characterizations.

There are some harmless cartoonish type stereotypes such as southerners all like grits and sweet tea, and eat grits and drink sweet tea regularly, etc.
But who doesn't like grits?

Old 11-02-2019, 11:01 AM

1,128 posts, read 422,667 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ClemVegas View Post

The South has quite a few negative stereotypes. But it’s not usually tied to individual states, so I didn’t really go too far down that rabbit hole.

Old 11-02-2019, 11:24 AM

4,092 posts, read 2,799,318 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CookieSkoon View Post
But who doesn't like grits?
Lived in the south my whole life. Never liked grits. They don't taste like anything!

People think that in NC everyone is either a Duke or UNC fan. Incorrect.

Duke fans are all in NJ

Old 11-02-2019, 11:27 AM

8,859 posts, read 4,464,170 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Heel82 View Post
The South has quite a few negative stereotypes. But it’s not usually tied to individual states, so I didn’t really go too far down that rabbit hole.
according to people with certain politics which is why I talked about controlling for political passions.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or