U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
 
 
Old 11-02-2019, 12:12 PM
 
Location: Appalachian New York, Formerly Louisiana
4,348 posts, read 4,930,493 times
Reputation: 5806

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by TarHeelNick View Post
Lived in the south my whole life. Never liked grits. They don't taste like anything!
Gotta put stuff in 'em!

Butter and salt, maybe some hot sauce.

Peanut butter and sugar.

Loads of cheese.

All kinds of things you can do with them.
Quick reply to this message

 
Old 11-02-2019, 01:04 PM
 
Location: Southern Oregon
2,925 posts, read 4,274,538 times
Reputation: 3151
Oregon

Oregon is a liberal state: Not really, 7 of Oregon's 36 counties votes democrat in the 2016 election, the majority of Oregon's counties are a mix of conservative and libertarian.

It always rains in Oregon: Depends on where you live, the half of the State east of the Cascades receives less than 20" of rain per year, the coastal areas receive the most rain and the portion of the State known as the Willamette Valley receives about 40" of rain per year.

Oregon's population is uneducated: 92% of adults have a high school diploma, 38% of adults have a bachelors degree or higher.

Portland is a wierd town: That I would have to agree with, however, the City of Portland makes up about 1/3rd of the metro area. It seems that the rest of the metro area has some sort of sanity to them.
Quick reply to this message
 
Old 11-02-2019, 06:59 PM
 
539 posts, read 172,928 times
Reputation: 895
Iowa

Flat: Yes, there are some very flat parts of Iowa. North of highway 30 and west of highway 63 in particular, but over half of the state ranges from undulating rolling plains, to the downright rugged (and heavily forested) Driftless Area in the north east, and Loess Hills along the Missouri.

Red State: Yes, Iowa voted for Trump. It also voted for Obama twice. 75% of our house reps are Democrats. Governor is a Republican. Margins in statewide elections are historically very tight, with a large center that frequently moves across the aisle. Iowa is about as "purple" as you can get.

Everyone farms: Agriculture is huge here, but today, the majority of the state's population is urban. Even in rural areas, you have more people that work in manufacturing, health care, etc, than directly in agricultural production.

The other stereotypes are pretty true, and even these 3 stereotypes have some sound basis in reality.
Quick reply to this message
 
Old 11-03-2019, 06:05 AM
 
Location: Cebu, Philippines
5,484 posts, read 2,092,375 times
Reputation: 9897
Wisconsin, the progressive stereotype of the LaFollette era. Now it's the most nazi state in the union. Most of my family still lives there, and even the most conservative of them say the jack-boots are out of control.
Quick reply to this message
 
Old 11-03-2019, 06:40 AM
 
Location: Kent, UK/ Rhode Island, US
637 posts, read 595,005 times
Reputation: 742
Quote:
Originally Posted by Terryj View Post
Oregon

Oregon is a liberal state: Not really, 7 of Oregon's 36 counties votes democrat in the 2016 election, the majority of Oregon's counties are a mix of conservative and libertarian.

It always rains in Oregon: Depends on where you live, the half of the State east of the Cascades receives less than 20" of rain per year, the coastal areas receive the most rain and the portion of the State known as the Willamette Valley receives about 40" of rain per year.

Oregon's population is uneducated: 92% of adults have a high school diploma, 38% of adults have a bachelors degree or higher.

Portland is a wierd town: That I would have to agree with, however, the City of Portland makes up about 1/3rd of the metro area. It seems that the rest of the metro area has some sort of sanity to them.
Lol, what? Oregon has voted Democrat for every presidential election since 1988. It has elected a democratic governor in every election since 1986. It’s house and senate is full of Democrats. Too many people confuse land for people.
Quick reply to this message
 
Old 11-03-2019, 07:32 AM
 
Location: Seattle
5,424 posts, read 3,301,068 times
Reputation: 3828
Quote:
Originally Posted by cebuan View Post
Wisconsin, the progressive stereotype of the LaFollette era. Now it's the most nazi state in the union. Most of my family still lives there, and even the most conservative of them say the jack-boots are out of control.
Good post. Seems the Midwest is trying to challenge the south
Quick reply to this message
 
Old 11-03-2019, 09:40 AM
 
Location: Philadelphia, PA
527 posts, read 207,588 times
Reputation: 821
Pennsylvania:

It is similar to or practically in the Midwest: Although Pennsylvania borders Ohio, the only part of Pennsylvania that feels remotely Midwestern is the Erie region. What makes Pennsylvania distinct from the rest of the Northeast is that a majority of its land mass lies within cultural Appalachia. In fact, only West Virginia has a higher percentage (100%) of its land mass contained within Appalachia than Pennsylvania. In the Northeast, New York has the Southern Tier, and that’s it. The rest of the Northeast (unless you count Maryland) has no land mass within Appalachia.

Pennsyltucky: There is an ongoing belief that everything between Philadelphia and Pittsburgh is practically Kentucky. Although much of the land mass is indeed in Appalachia, there are some important distinctions between Pennsylvanian Appalachia and Southern Appalachia. Firstly, the influence of Anabaptists, Lutherans, and Quakers throughout much of the state is distinct from anything in the South. Rural and small town Pennsylvania, especially around South Central Pennsylvania, also has its own cuisine, dialect, architecture, etc., that make it distinct from any Southern Appalachian state.

Backwardness: It is true that Pennsylvania had a difficult time with de-industrialization and the fall of coal. There are many small towns that are still really struggling to move forward. It is also true that we are a highly historic state that celebrates much of its history. However, Philadelphia, Pittsburgh, South Central (Harrisburg-Lancaster-York area), and the Lehigh Valley are all areas with much prosperity and forward moving economies.

Many of the other “stereotypes” however bear some truth. Pittsburgh and Philadelphia sports fans are both quite spirited and even ravenous. We are truly the “Keystone State” connecting the Northeast, South and Midwest, while remaining decidedly Northeastern. The divide between our rural and urban inhabitants is quite pronounced (I say morseso than much of the country), particularly because we are a (blue-leaning) swing state with a very strong distinction in demographic between our urban metros and rural areas. We do have a funky state cuisine like red pickled eggs and scrapple.
Quick reply to this message
 
Old 11-03-2019, 09:42 AM
 
Location: MD's Eastern Shore
2,340 posts, read 3,103,617 times
Reputation: 4135
MD: Liberal, gun hating, high taxed, urban, unsafe, and people love boating and crabs

Get out of the Balt/Wash corridor and cross that ditch that cuts the state in two and it is farmland, conservative, safe, full of 4x4 pickups, and hunting and fishing is a way of life and cost of living is quite affordable.

Now as far as boating and crabs? Yep that part is true.

I'll never forget this crew that brought a boat up from Alabama for the summer. After a couple of month's they mentioned that they expected everybody to be driving Priuses with Obama stickers on them but what they actually saw was the complete opposite and reminded them of Alabama; lifted 4x4's, everybody geared up for hunting in Sept, nothing but corn and bean fields and conservative.
Quick reply to this message
 
Old 11-03-2019, 10:25 AM
 
Location: Appalachian New York, Formerly Louisiana
4,348 posts, read 4,930,493 times
Reputation: 5806
Quote:
Originally Posted by Muinteoir View Post
Pennsylvania:

It is similar to or practically in the Midwest: Although Pennsylvania borders Ohio, the only part of Pennsylvania that feels remotely Midwestern is the Erie region. What makes Pennsylvania distinct from the rest of the Northeast is that a majority of its land mass lies within cultural Appalachia. In fact, only West Virginia has a higher percentage (100%) of its land mass contained within Appalachia than Pennsylvania. In the Northeast, New York has the Southern Tier, and that’s it. The rest of the Northeast (unless you count Maryland) has no land mass within Appalachia.
Appalachia the sub region, you're correct. The Appalachians, on the other hand, you'd be patently wrong.

The Appalachian mountains and their various foothill clusters cover the vast majority of the northeast, and Maritime Canada. That's to say nothing of the neighboring Adirondacks and Laurentian mountains.

In further fact, the Allegheny region extends far further into NY state than just the southern tier.

I'll never really understand why the south got the monopoly on a mountain range it does not exclusively own.

Also, I love scrapple. More people should try it!
Quick reply to this message
 
Old 11-03-2019, 10:30 AM
 
184 posts, read 73,549 times
Reputation: 282
I live in Kansas for now. The state has a reputation for being chessboard flat. Not true at all for the part of Kansas I'm in
Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


 

Quick Reply
Message:
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

© 2005-2019, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top