Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-01-2019, 02:53 PM

8,256 posts, read 17,338,961 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jdawg8181 View Post
People think New York is just NYC. NY is big, folks, lots of upward & outward. Also people think people from NYC are rude … on the contrary, everyone is really nice when you actually spend time talking to them.
Ok but that one man didn't smile at me and someone pushed me while I was blocking the subway door. And then the cashier at Sbarro in Midtown didn't greet me and just told me how much I owe without asking about my day. And don't even get me started on how rude it was when I was doing something wrong and someone told me I was doing something wrong. How dare someone tell me I'm doing something wrong when I'm doing something wrong. Where I'm from, you just let someone do something wrong and be passive aggressive about it and tell the rest of the town behind their back that they're an idiot. Because that's the nice thing to do. /s
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-01-2019, 03:13 PM

12,766 posts, read 18,370,159 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jessemh431 View Post
Ok but that one man didn't smile at me and someone pushed me while I was blocking the subway door. And then the cashier at Sbarro in Midtown didn't greet me and just told me how much I owe without asking about my day. And don't even get me started on how rude it was when I was doing something wrong and someone told me I was doing something wrong. How dare someone tell me I'm doing something wrong when I'm doing something wrong. Where I'm from, you just let someone do something wrong and be passive aggressive about it and tell the rest of the town behind their back that they're an idiot. Because that's the nice thing to do. /s
The larger problem is … with all the amazing pizza in NYC, you went to Sbarro??

Come on now

Old 11-01-2019, 03:29 PM

1,045 posts, read 758,617 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Heel82 View Post
I don’t know if some of those are stereotypes or just misconceptions. And I don’t know what size is doing there, since I don’t think it’s either for California.

At any rate, I don’t know what a typical North Carolina stereotype is. Is Mayberryism still a stereotype? I guess that’s untrue in the urban/suburban areas, but still partly true in the rural areas. McDonald’s has just replaced Floyd’s Barbershop. We do enjoy college sports and can bicker endlessly (or simply shut off communication with family/friends during rivalry week). In honor of the transplants picking a local college (invariably it’s Duke), we take them to Penguins-Hurricanes game as part of the cultural exchange program. We like barbecue, but we are snobs about what is good. Oh, and one misconception is all the Carolinas are the same, but that is a lie spread by someone South of the Border I imagine.
Being a Tarheel born and bred, I can add a few things. People - at least, those from up North - stereotype NC natives as 'backwards' & 'dumb'. (Most non Southerners tend to view all of us as 'stupid' hillbillies, even those of us who live in cities.) I have been told that I talk 'country' by Black people from NYC, NJ, Boston, and other states where the accents grate on the ear - they do mine, anyway. We're supposedly all sweet tea drinking rednecks & step-n-fetchits who eat grits every morning and pretend to be cordial to everyone. Oh, and we're all Bible thumpers.

I don't fit the southern stereotype at all, other than sometimes eating grits and drinking sweet tea (not too sweet though, just enough to bring out the taste. And I always add lemon to mine). I'm a Black Southern agnostic woman with no kids, never been on welfare or lived on public housing, and I don't speak Ebonics, nor am I crazy about barbecue, corn bread, or cooked greens. And I hate chitterlings!

Old 11-01-2019, 03:51 PM

8,256 posts, read 17,338,961 times
Quote:

Come on now
Well I love it at the food court back home at the Meadow Plains Landing Creekside Mall, so I just had to try some in the home of pizza. Also I was afraid to leave Times Square because I heard there are some people who like the marijuana plants and don't speak English in other neighborhoods. I'm really glad I didn't leave Times Square either since all those rude people would never be able to help me figure out the subway even though my smartphone tells me how to get everywhere.

Old 11-01-2019, 03:51 PM

12,824 posts, read 9,541,088 times
Quote:

Come on now

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TRgEeDR98X8

Old 11-01-2019, 04:39 PM

6,222 posts, read 3,595,519 times
Quote:
People are like that everywhere

Old 11-01-2019, 04:40 PM

Quote:
Well I love it at the food court back home at the Meadow Plains Landing Creekside Mall, so I just had to try some in the home of pizza. Also I was afraid to leave Times Square because I heard there are some people who like the marijuana plants and don't speak English in other neighborhoods. I'm really glad I didn't leave Times Square either since all those rude people would never be able to help me figure out the subway even though my smartphone tells me how to get everywhere.
I know this is satire but I've never talked to any tourist who acted like this.

I think the "rude" stereotype comes from movies rather than real life experience

Old 11-01-2019, 04:41 PM

Quote:
Idk you tell me hahaha. People who are ignorant and/or elitist assume that even Jersey City is a suburb, or that every urban center is a dumpster fire and then everything else is a boring suburb. People from the city act like it's a small town where you need a car to get around like PATH is some podunk country wagon carting people around town. They act like it's not even close to the quality of NYC and like everything is so much more spread out with massive streets and nothing going on.

People outside the Northeast often don't even realize that a place like Jersey City exists and just assume that the entire state of NJ is one giant subdivision. When I told people from home (I'm from LA originally) about where I live, they were shocked. They legit thought it was the stereotype of a leafy green Northeast suburb. Either that or they assume the entire state is mostly a trash hole combination of Seaside Heights and Camden, with some Beverly Hills-esque areas dotted around. Maybe that's just going back to the theme of Californians being ignorant of everything outside the borders of CA, though.
I think it would be because NJ doesn't have any large cities. But anyone from around here would know that it has a lot of small, but very urban ones

Old 11-01-2019, 04:44 PM

Why do people keep mentioning that their state isn't that liberal because it has areas with conservatives?

Of course your state is not 100% Democrat, nowhere is. But if you live in a state like California with a one party, leftist state government, then it functionally does not matter if there are a lot of conservatives in rural California.

Old 11-01-2019, 05:54 PM

17,780 posts, read 13,673,847 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Foamposite View Post
Why do people keep mentioning that their state isn't that liberal because it has areas with conservatives?

I don't know.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.