U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: CA, OR, WA secession, yes or no?
Yes 21 28.77%
No 52 71.23%
Voters: 73. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-03-2019, 12:17 AM

6,171 posts, read 4,101,201 times

Advertisements

Nonsensical poll.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-03-2019, 12:25 AM

32,831 posts, read 56,045,466 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by potanta View Post
... California wildfires, and a lack of water. They need help from the rest of the US in terms of economy and water supply.
No only 4% of CAs water supply is shared with other states and CA owns rights to it.

Economically California is better off than the country aa a whole so not sure what you mean by that.

Old 11-03-2019, 12:39 AM

32,831 posts, read 56,045,466 times
My opinion is nothing is set in stone anymore. The president himself and other republicans are talking up civil war these days, which is ludicrous yet there they are...smh

So if those in power so blithely dangle the notion of tearing this country apart to satisfy their political agenda, perhaps these are conversations that should be had.

It's sad as hell, but we dont need a tyrannical lunatic 3,000 miles away lording over us, gouging our tax money and then talking sht about us at every opportunity.

Old 11-03-2019, 01:26 AM

1,547 posts, read 1,219,460 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by potanta View Post
I would not want them to be an independent nation and it is mainly because of California. The separate nation would not be able to handle the problems California and the West Coast has. California is overpopulated, then you have the combination of the West Coast population too. The West Coast has a skyrocketing cost of living, more homeless people, more California wildfires, and a lack of water. They need help from the rest of the US in terms of economy and water supply.
Metro Los Angeles has an economy comparable to that of Mexico or Australia.

The Port of Long Beach exceeds all 15 major Florida ports in cargo business by itself.

That's just one place in California.

It doesn't matter how well or poorly California is managed/governed.

The other states are never going to be able to compete with it.

Old 11-03-2019, 01:41 AM

4,780 posts, read 2,189,479 times
OP, these three states have internal geographic regions that are very distinct economically, by weather, by geology, by culture, and by population.

Old 11-03-2019, 10:03 AM

7,237 posts, read 4,494,400 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by leastprime View Post
OP, these three states have internal geographic regions that are very distinct economically, by weather, by geology, by culture, and by population.
Yes, if these three states broke off I would worry even more about the fate of anyone who's not an urban liberal. I live in California but don't agree with most of the policies and political beliefs of the elite, and I don't think the new country is where I would want to be. It's bad enough now, but that would be worse.

Old 11-03-2019, 01:56 PM

4,806 posts, read 2,924,127 times
It would be very difficult to switch, but I suspect the eventual result would be a very prosperous country due to factors such as unique growing regions (Central Valley, Napa, Palouse, Yakima Valley, etc.) and crucial seaports.

Mexico and BC would add port capacity to decrease the remaining US' reliance on the latter, but they'd still be important.

Let's assume that residents, university endowments, and so on generally stay in place at first (vs. a mad rush outward). Still, there would be significant issues in transitioning from being part of one country to being an entire country. For example the US military pullout would be huge, but replaced by some sort of downsized self-supported presence (I believe the WC has an outsized percentage of current bases as well as suppliers). We'd hopefully have a semi-open trade partnership and borders, so families, companies, etc., didn't feel a need to pick a side.

To maintain the tech industry, we'd probably open our borders more, especially if there was a decrease in still-US workers coming in every year.

We'd be way more responsible than the US environmentally of course.

Old 11-03-2019, 02:00 PM

2,924 posts, read 4,274,079 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PNW-type-gal View Post
Here in Southern Oregon, most of the people pushing the "51st State of Jefferson" (parts of Northern California and Southern Oregon) are, these days, sovereign citizen/3% types with whom I have zero interest in joining.
This movement started back in the late 30's, had the U.S. not entered WWII, the State of Jefferson most likely would have happened. It wasn't about the "sovereign citizen" back then, it all had to do with Southern Oregon and Northern California being treated like "red headed step children" by their respective State Governments. It seemed that most of the State fundings was taking place above Roseburg and West of the Cascades, leaving those counties south of Lane County and East of the Cascades to have to beg for the crumbs that were left over. This is still happening today, example, Oregon taxpayers living outside of the Willamette Valley paying for a transit system that they will never use. Highway funds being spent in the northern portion of Oregon and ignoring the South and Eastern portion of the State. Granted that the majority of the population of Oregon lives in the 7 counties in Northwest Oregon, this by no means, means that the remainder of the 29 counties should have to be last in lines for funds.

Old 11-03-2019, 02:15 PM

4,806 posts, read 2,924,127 times
In Washington, the urban areas subsidize the rural areas. I suspect it's the same way in Oregon. A county with 20,000 people doesn't generate that much revenue, but might have massive amounts of infrastructure per capita.

Old 11-03-2019, 04:26 PM

360 posts, read 565,732 times
California's economy is big enough. As people on C-D often point out, the 5th largest in the world. And I don't know why people are saying California has too many problems to leave the US, or they need help, etc... The federal government isn't doing anything about any California problems. Besides, California sends much more money into the federal budget than what they get back.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or