U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: CA, OR, WA secession, yes or no?
Yes 21 28.38%
No 53 71.62%
Voters: 74. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-10-2019, 10:27 PM

6,172 posts, read 6,586,497 times

Advertisements

I guess it’s a reflection of the privileged time we are in as a country that this is even a discussion.

As a Seattleite, I feel much safer knowing that the entire American military might is behind California, Oregon and Washington. Particularly in the event of a threat from across the Pacific. How quickly we forget how real something like that could become.

Politics, in the grand scheme of things, are ephemeral. We are better united.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-11-2019, 03:20 AM

6,866 posts, read 8,451,474 times
All it takes is a tiny amount of thought to realize most oil and gas come from outside of these three states while calif especially is a high energy demand state. Tarrifs could be crippling.

Old 11-11-2019, 12:16 PM

4,809 posts, read 2,928,356 times
I've heard that some countries are successful without major oil and gas fields.

It helps to have something to trade. For example, what if some of the world's most valuable food growing regions were in these three states? Wanna talk tarrifs on those?

To say nothing of most of the English-speaking world's big tech.

Old 11-11-2019, 02:07 PM

5,423 posts, read 3,301,068 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Russmuss View Post
I no longer live on the west coast, but I've never heard anyone there that wanted this. Perhaps a few libertarian types in the stix of the pacific northwest could feel that way I guess. Seems more like something the rest of the nation assumes due to the difference in politics, economics, housing prices, tech industry, etc. Those things may make it possible, but I doubt many people in that region really feel that way.
Only place I've heard it is in Texas.

Old 11-11-2019, 03:51 PM

134 posts, read 43,901 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mhays25 View Post
I've heard that some countries are successful without major oil and gas fields.

It helps to have something to trade. For example, what if some of the world's most valuable food growing regions were in these three states? Wanna talk tarrifs on those?

To say nothing of most of the English-speaking world's big tech.
California is still a major oil and gas producing state BTW. Probably not enough to cover the consumption of 50 million people but it is substantial

Old 11-11-2019, 04:05 PM

33 posts, read 24,275 times
As a CA native and WA resident, I voted no for a number off reasons, but, chiefly, I don't want to live in a nation that dominated by a single state. CA would have 75% of the population of the entire country. We'd be an afterthought up here.

Old 11-11-2019, 09:56 PM

4,191 posts, read 2,408,919 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RJ_Yellowhammer View Post
As a CA native and WA resident, I voted no for a number off reasons, but, chiefly, I don't want to live in a nation that dominated by a single state. CA would have 75% of the population of the entire country. We'd be an afterthought up here.
We already are an after thought in the US tucked up in the corner, that being said if an independent west coast country were to form, CA would have to be split up into at least 2 states, if not more.

Old Yesterday, 07:30 AM

9,125 posts, read 4,965,613 times
I wonder if parts of Washington, Oregon, and California stoping at San Fransisco was sold to Canada with Citizens voting yes or no of course

The rest of California be part of the U.S. Part of Washington and Oregon be included into Idaho
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or