Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-03-2019, 05:44 PM

5,869 posts, read 4,205,244 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by GeoffD View Post
Not really. An awful lot of blue states spend more than 50% of the state budget propping up the bottom 10% to 20% between Medicaid, cash transfers to failed school systems in poor cities, and the rest of the safety net programs. If you're in a rural state with no real cities that need the cash infusion for all the poor people, or you're in a red state with a "F the poor" public policy, the tax burden is very different.

We all have the metrics that are important to us. Mine look nothing at all like what the OP uses. Tax burden in a particular state or town within a state varies wildly depending on your income, your income sources, home ownership choices, and general spending pattern. You can live in the bluest of blue states and have a low tax burden. You really have to do an apples vs apples comparison based on income, housing, and spending pattern.
State and local taxes combined are still a tiny fraction of "cost of living" taken as a whole, and already a component within it, but are weighted as three times as much impact.

Notice that the "best" states, despite this weighting, are still the ones that are most attentive to welfare, public health, schools, etc.

But never mind, you still preached to the anti-welfare choir and confirmed their bias.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-03-2019, 08:13 PM

11,066 posts, read 7,135,481 times
A quick look at the results shows flawed criteria and flawed "best" rankings.

Two states I know well had the inferior one way above the superior one. Pass...

Old 11-04-2019, 12:23 AM

6,372 posts, read 4,985,124 times
I think a lot of people are missing the elephant in the room here.

Of course rural states with no major cities have a higher average quality of life. Crime tends to bloom where there is a high density of impoverished people, especially in proximity to affluent people, because there are a lot of opportunities for crime to happen and the phenomenon of other people living way better than you are is a visible reality.

Old 11-04-2019, 10:28 AM

24,557 posts, read 18,230,382 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cebuan View Post
But never mind, you still preached to the anti-welfare choir and confirmed their bias.

I live in the bluest of blue states. It's not "anti-welfare choir". It's acknowledging that more than half the state budget is chewed up propping up the bottom-10% which starves infrastructure projects. All that money does exactly zero to solve the generational poverty problem. My state is highly rated because it has Harvard, MIT, Mass General, Logan Airport, a thriving high tech and biotech industry, and all the smart and highly educated people that kind of economy attracts. The LBJ Great Society approach didn't work. The generational poverty problem is worse now than it was in 1960. It's completely killed labor mobility for the bottom-10%. It rewards poor parenting. I have no problem spending money to actually fix the problem but it's insanity to simply perpetuate the problem.

Old 11-04-2019, 11:40 AM

12,766 posts, read 18,366,510 times
ehhh there needs to be more categories on this list.

New York is far from the worst state … compare it to places like Mississippi & Alabama and it's paradise.

Old 11-04-2019, 11:44 AM

12,157 posts, read 7,980,515 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jdawg8181 View Post
ehhh there needs to be more categories on this list.

New York is far from the worst state … compare it to places like Mississippi & Alabama and it's paradise.
Agreed. New York is roughly the 15-25th best state to live in. Not #49.

Old 11-04-2019, 11:46 AM

12,766 posts, read 18,366,510 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by masssachoicetts View Post
Agreed. New York is roughly the 15-25th best state to live in. Not #49.
NY always scores toward the middle-top on these type lists from Nerdwallet & others. Like I said, far from the worst.

Old 11-04-2019, 12:17 PM

3,961 posts, read 4,384,986 times
Wyoming is the best state overall....maybe if you are 6th generation native, white, Gen X, working in energy, who likes driving 4wds, and doesn't mind gale force winds 6 months out of the year.

Herein lies the rub with strictly crunching numbers to arrive at a "best of" list. Overlay these results with job availability, education, recreation, or other number of quality of life factors and the order will change dramatically and will vary from person to person. Whats best for me may not be best for someone else.

Old 11-04-2019, 07:33 PM

5,869 posts, read 4,205,244 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GeoffD View Post
I live in the bluest of blue states. It's not "anti-welfare choir". It's acknowledging that more than half the state budget is chewed up propping up the bottom-10% which starves infrastructure projects. All that money does exactly zero to solve the generational poverty problem. My state is highly rated because it has Harvard, MIT, Mass General, Logan Airport, a thriving high tech and biotech industry, and all the smart and highly educated people that kind of economy attracts. The LBJ Great Society approach didn't work. The generational poverty problem is worse now than it was in 1960. It's completely killed labor mobility for the bottom-10%. It rewards poor parenting. I have no problem spending money to actually fix the problem but it's insanity to simply perpetuate the problem.
The anti-welfare choir thanks you, again.

Over in the History Forum is a discussion of debtors prisons, which did solve all their problems. You'd have been proud of 'em.

Old 11-07-2019, 12:07 AM

483 posts, read 353,286 times
My points system is a bit more granular since there are such a wide variety of different kinds of places within a state.

I look at voter precinct. If a place voted for Trump they get a 0. For my tastes if a place votes for a morally corrupt, racist, litigious, fascist, whoring, greedy, superficial mafioso imbecile like him they are not a place I would consider living. Hillary Clinton was also morally corrupt but at least she was competent.

If a place has an ocean, Great Lake or mountains within 100 miles it gets a 1. Otherwise 0.

If a place has a homicide rate in it's metro area above 5/100,000 it gets a 0.

Every place else gets judged subjectively cause it's my list and my system.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.