U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-04-2019, 09:17 AM

4,670 posts, read 2,760,682 times

Advertisements

The recent acid attack is not helping us. We have enough shootings already. Add to that our serious dangerous driving problem that led to a man running a red light in the bike lane and killing two small children crossing the road lately and you can see why Milwaukee is in the top 10.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-04-2019, 09:49 AM

11,058 posts, read 7,183,497 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ckhthankgod View Post
I second this and to be honest, I think this information is for one year and not over a period of time. Lansing has some violent crime, but in the top 25? Maybe a year here and there, but not on a regular basis.
It's right in the middle of the state.....and less than an hour from all the major cities in Michigan. Not unusual to see people from other cities arrested for crimes in Lansing, but I am still surprised its as high as 21 Sometimes the way a city reports rape can make a difference in their violent crime rate. Homicides are something that is always going to show up as long as there is a body. However, whether a rape is reported or not varies. Some cities might also have a lower threshold on what is considered rape.

Old 11-04-2019, 11:26 AM
Status: "Coffee is at least 3 of my food groups" (set 10 days ago)

1,954 posts, read 910,646 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CincyExpert View Post
Definitely some cities within the top 20 that are surprises to me: Albuquerque, Anchorage, Indianapolis, Wichita and Nashville.
Albuquerque has a lot of poverty. I haven't spent much time there but from a Street-Viewing, some areas in the southeast of the city look just awful. It's a geographically isolated city that hasn't spawned nationally known music artists and pop culture the way a Detroit or an Oakland or a Chicago has, so I guess its crime isn't as well known.

Old 11-04-2019, 11:35 AM

32,866 posts, read 56,073,999 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheTimidBlueBars View Post
Albuquerque has a lot of poverty. I haven't spent much time there but from a Street-Viewing, some areas in the southeast of the city look just awful. It's a geographically isolated city that hasn't spawned nationally known music artists and pop culture the way a Detroit or an Oakland or a Chicago has, so I guess its crime isn't as well known.
Looks like Oakland is falling quite rapidly in this ranking. Im used to being in the Top 5.

I love living in this area but it still feels like the wild west sometimes lol

Old 11-04-2019, 06:11 PM

1,083 posts, read 481,817 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dozener View Post
Is any city on here NOT heavily black or Hispanic?
Tacoma is 12% Hispanic, 10% Black, and 60% White.

Old 11-04-2019, 07:27 PM

926 posts, read 1,349,407 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CincyExpert View Post
Definitely some cities within the top 20 that are surprises to me: Albuquerque, Anchorage, Indianapolis, Wichita and Nashville.
How is Indianapolis surprising? Place always had a crime problem.
What's surprising is Newark not being on this list.

Old 11-04-2019, 07:47 PM

5,507 posts, read 2,099,857 times
An element never factored into this is how many of the low-crime suburbs are within the city limits, which would have a dampenrg effect on the statistics. Baltimore and St. Louis have always suffered from this. The city stops where the crime does.

Also, political correctness prevents us from one more column: Racial Minority Rate. How dare anyone imply that that has anything to do with it. That, though, can be inferred from the Poverty Rate.

Old 11-05-2019, 06:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheTimidBlueBars View Post
Indianapolis has become very violent in recent years. Many, I hear, blame it on Chicago and Detroit transplants.

Old 11-05-2019, 06:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cebuan View Post
An element never factored into this is how many of the low-crime suburbs are within the city limits, which would have a dampenrg effect on the statistics. Baltimore and St. Louis have always suffered from this. The city stops where the crime does.

Also, political correctness prevents us from one more column: Racial Minority Rate. How dare anyone imply that that has anything to do with it. That, though, can be inferred from the Poverty Rate.
I don't think people mind noting the correlation between minorities and violence as long as you not the correlation between historical oppression and minorities.

Old 11-05-2019, 08:21 AM

3,143 posts, read 1,683,350 times
wow...no one from NJ
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or