U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 11-04-2019, 01:51 PM
 
15,095 posts, read 8,108,279 times
Reputation: 27329

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by snoopygirlmi View Post
Well........New Hampshire has more of a libertarian streak. Google - the Free State Project.

The IT jobs are all within 20 or 30 miles of the Massachusetts state line and those towns generally have the same politics as the Massachusetts suburbs. A social conservative like an Ovide Lamontagne gets crushed by moderate democrats. Republicans tend to be pretty moderate or they can't win at the state level.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 11-04-2019, 02:42 PM
 
Location: Dallas, TX and wherever planes fly
1,606 posts, read 2,461,124 times
Reputation: 1507
Take Raleigh off the list. It's Austin east... pretty liberal not super liberal but more liberal than most especially Chapel Hill and Durham.

Birmingham Alabama, Richmond Virginia fit the profile for the OP
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 11-04-2019, 04:21 PM
 
Location: Colorado Springs
3,258 posts, read 2,309,416 times
Reputation: 3836
Socially conservative, politically conservative, fiscally conservative, or something else and which of these aspects do you desire in your new locale?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 11-05-2019, 12:09 AM
 
2 posts, read 405 times
Reputation: 10
Thank you all for the great feedback!

I'll look into the Free State Project to learn more about NH.

I never thought of Greenville, SC. Definitely looking into it now.

Birmingham, AL and the couple of suggestions in VA are great too.

I will try to sum up what I'm looking for a little more clearly now that I have your suggestions:
  • Place with IT/programming jobs. A job will obviously make it easier to move.
  • Close to or around mountains. Places to ski nearby would be great. Beaches/lakes would be a nice bonus.
  • Genuine, friendly people who aren't too difficult to go out and do stuff with. An outdoorsy population would be a big plus.
  • Different experience or culture from what I'm used to - something other than the west coast, northwest/PNW, and midwest.
  • Fiscally conservative at the very least. Definitely cool with socially and politically conservative. I don't mind very Christian areas too.
  • Nice population of single women who are fairly conservative. Ideally somewhere with marginally more women than men. Bozeman was often Brozeman.
  • Better than average tax laws. Part of why I think I liked the sound of NH and included Fort Worth in my initial three. By better than average I mean not crazy high like CA, NY and maybe having something like no income tax even though there's sales tax instead of both.
  • Decent, affordable housing would be great. I hear NH is a bit expensive in that regard, but obviously there are pros and cons. Chattanooga and TN, in general, seem to have decent rental rates. I don't know how liberal Nashville is, but maybe that could be an option for IT jobs too, I'm not sure.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 11-05-2019, 07:58 AM
 
4,053 posts, read 1,758,973 times
Reputation: 3398
I'm an Independent Conservative and travel extensively. Liberal or Conservative, as long as you can agree to disagree with people, aren't a jerk, not be hyperly obsessed with politics, don't require others to agree with you in order to befriend them, you should be fine pretty much anywhere. BUT (and I know this won't fly with some), I would stay away from the West Coast and certain areas of the Northeast Coast. There have been huge numbers (at least 616 documented cases. Research it, you'll see) of unprovoked violent incidents against Conservatives. It's happened all across the nation, but the PNW and coastal NE lead the pack. I saw it first hand in the Bay Area and Portland when my wife and I were there back in January. I even had someone in Portland go off on me unprovoked and out of nowhere because I had a North Carolina Tar Heels shirt on (called racist, right-wing ****, to name a few). Two security people led them away, thank God. It was sad, because we use to love visiting Portland. Just loved it. But with what we experienced and saw first hand during the rest of our visit (Antifa violence, with police refusing to intervene), that was out last visit ever. I'm not saying that everyone in Portland and the Bay Area are like this. But there is enough of a hostile environment in these areas against Conservatives that I just wouldn't feel safe there anymore. Again, really sad.

Of the cities you listed, I could go with any of them. I'd even throw in Atlanta, Greenville, and Charlotte. Good luck in your search.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 11-05-2019, 09:13 AM
 
Location: Seattle
5,417 posts, read 3,298,060 times
Reputation: 3823
Quote:
Originally Posted by march2 View Post
I'm an Independent Conservative and travel extensively. Liberal or Conservative, as long as you can agree to disagree with people, aren't a jerk, not be hyperly obsessed with politics, don't require others to agree with you in order to befriend them, you should be fine pretty much anywhere. BUT (and I know this won't fly with some), I would stay away from the West Coast and certain areas of the Northeast Coast. There have been huge numbers (at least 616 documented cases. Research it, you'll see) of unprovoked violent incidents against Conservatives. It's happened all across the nation, but the PNW and coastal NE lead the pack. I saw it first hand in the Bay Area and Portland when my wife and I were there back in January. I even had someone in Portland go off on me unprovoked and out of nowhere because I had a North Carolina Tar Heels shirt on (called racist, right-wing ****, to name a few). Two security people led them away, thank God. It was sad, because we use to love visiting Portland. Just loved it. But with what we experienced and saw first hand during the rest of our visit (Antifa violence, with police refusing to intervene), that was out last visit ever. I'm not saying that everyone in Portland and the Bay Area are like this. But there is enough of a hostile environment in these areas against Conservatives that I just wouldn't feel safe there anymore. Again, really sad.

Of the cities you listed, I could go with any of them. I'd even throw in Atlanta, Greenville, and Charlotte. Good luck in your search.
How can you tell if someone is conservative or liberal. Idk about the violence stuff but I usually see the antifa types getting their butts kicked by the proud boy types
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 11-05-2019, 09:43 AM
 
Location: Atlanta metro (Cobb County)
1,607 posts, read 806,953 times
Reputation: 1708
Quote:
Originally Posted by Taynxtlvl View Post
Take Raleigh off the list. It's Austin east... pretty liberal not super liberal but more liberal than most especially Chapel Hill and Durham.

Birmingham Alabama, Richmond Virginia fit the profile for the OP
Richmond is increasingly left of center these days, as is true of other parts of Virginia where most job opportunities are situated. It has a lot to offer in terms of amenities but is far from an "Old South" environment in 2019. Birmingham would likely be a better fit, and maybe Knoxville TN as well.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 11-05-2019, 10:12 AM
 
Location: Seattle
5,417 posts, read 3,298,060 times
Reputation: 3823
Quote:
Originally Posted by jas75 View Post
Richmond is increasingly left of center these days, as is true of other parts of Virginia where most job opportunities are situated. It has a lot to offer in terms of amenities but is far from an "Old South" environment in 2019. Birmingham would likely be a better fit, and maybe Knoxville TN as well.
To me Greenville is your quintessential old south
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 11-05-2019, 11:13 AM
 
30,664 posts, read 28,396,793 times
Reputation: 19247
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gaylord_Focker View Post
To me Greenville is your quintessential old south
No way is anything in the upcountry "quintessential old south."
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 11-05-2019, 01:05 PM
 
Location: Downtown Lynchburg, The Hill City
150 posts, read 77,069 times
Reputation: 359
I would definitely check out Lynchburg, VA. Pretty conservative, but overall a very young population and lots of young professionals and Liberty University students. Rapidly revitalizing downtown with lots of new restaurants and downtown apartments that are affordable (I purchased my riverfront condo downtown for $150k and rents are in the $800 range a month downtown). The city is pretty well split 55/45 Republican/Democrat, though even the Democrats here tend to be more middle of the line I would say. There is also a very active young professionals group here (https://www.ypcv.org/) with young people from both sides of the political spectrum and I personally have both Democratic and Republican friends here. We all get along pretty well IMO and focus on things like making the city and business community better for young professionals.

All the surrounding suburban areas like Forest, Timberlake, Concord, and Madison Heights are strongly conservative. Neighboring Forest is consistently ranked one of the best places in Virginia to raise a family too (https://wallethub.com/edu/best-citie...irginia/31078/). It is also super safe even in the downtown area of the city. FYI Lynchburg city has grown from 65,000 in 2000 to 82,000 today and most all of that growth has come from young professionals moving here and the growth of Liberty University. Almost 900 apartments have been built downtown since 2011.

I have lived downtown for seven years and never heard of a serious crime happening in that time. In fact, I think there has only been one violent crime downtown in the past 8 years. No homeless or panhandling downtown either to really speak of. You mostly see Liberty University students and University of Lynchburg students downtown as well as young professionals who live downtown (many of whom graduated from LU and stayed to open their own business in Lynchburg or work for a company here). The city gets very high marks for quality of life, safety, and affordability. The city and surrounding region is a conservative/republican stronghold, but also growing rapidly with a young population and a strong revitalizing downtown. https://wset.com/news/local/lynchbur...t-cities-study

You are also literally right next to the Blue Ridge Mountains, Blue Ridge Parkway, and Appalachian Trail. The city and its environs has some of the best scenery and mountain hiking trails in Virginia IMO.

Here are a few videos:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TEqYDEel8No

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=btSu_HAhHm0&t=1s

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=V15E7Ot4YAk

Last edited by dbcook1; 11-05-2019 at 01:33 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply

Quick Reply
Message:


Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

© 2005-2019, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top