U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-05-2019, 01:40 PM

115 posts, read 55,494 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ClemVegas View Post
Check out Greenville SC near the Blue Ridge mountains. Young singles love the downtown area.

VisitGreenvilleSC.com

Roanoke Virginia is another idea.
Only thing is, I didn't find South Carolinians (including Greenville and especially Charleston) to be a friendly, affable, warm bunch in the times I visited. Yes, those with Southern and "yankee" accents alike. Maybe I just didn't meet the "right" people.

I like North Carolina quite a bit better, but cities like Charlotte and Raleigh-Durham, where most of the jobs are, just feel like "Generica" to be quite honest. Maybe Asheville or Wilmington, perhaps...?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-05-2019, 05:13 PM

8,855 posts, read 4,460,832 times
Greenville was the model new south city.

A lot of Republican transplants as it industrialized.

Old 11-06-2019, 12:13 AM

30,662 posts, read 28,396,793 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AmericaBravoCharles View Post
Only thing is, I didn't find South Carolinians (including Greenville and especially Charleston) to be a friendly, affable, warm bunch in the times I visited. Yes, those with Southern and "yankee" accents alike. Maybe I just didn't meet the "right" people.
Thankfully your experiences as a visitor tend to be outside the norm. The fact of the matter is that Greenville checks just about all of the OP's boxes and should definitely be a top option.

Old 11-06-2019, 11:15 AM

1,071 posts, read 659,140 times
What about Phoenix?

Skiing is driving distance from there, mountains abound. No water, really, but it probably checks the other boxes for you.

Old 11-06-2019, 07:13 PM

1,171 posts, read 372,223 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ClemVegas View Post
You'll definitely want to avoid cities like Washington and Portland with a lot of violent liberal antifa members.

Recently in Portland, antifa thugs attacked a conservative Asian-American, Andy Ngo, and induced a brain hemorrhage.
They did the same to a black male about about a year ago, but he was not injured as seriously.

Old 11-06-2019, 07:28 PM

921 posts, read 1,347,805 times
No to Virginia. Look at the results of their state elections last night, and now they have a gov who is really pro gun control if that bothers you.

Raleigh and Asheville? They're both mini versions of the west coast cities. Gets more conservative outside of them though.

I would say Plano since DFW has IT jobs, but you wanted to be near mountains. So I guess Cookeville or Greenville would be better options.

Old 11-07-2019, 12:46 AM

30,662 posts, read 28,396,793 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marv95 View Post
No to Virginia. Look at the results of their state elections last night, and now they have a gov who is really pro gun control if that bothers you.
Every city and county in VA isn't some liberal stronghold and a politically astute observer might note that last night's state elections in VA served as a referendum on the president who doesn't exactly espouse 100% traditionally conservative views.

Quote:
Raleigh and Asheville? They're both mini versions of the west coast cities. Gets more conservative outside of them though.
In a way I get the Asheville/West Coast comparison, but Raleigh???? It's most definitely a mini version of East Coast cities like Boston and DC.

Winston-Salem would probably another option worth looking into.

Old 11-07-2019, 08:02 AM

150 posts, read 77,069 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mutiny77 View Post
Every city and county in VA isn't some liberal stronghold and a politically astute observer might note that last night's state elections in VA served as a referendum on the president who doesn't exactly espouse 100% traditionally conservative views..
Exactly. My part of Virginia went the opposite direction of the urban crescent area voting overwhelming Republican in Lynchburg area districts: https://www.newsadvance.com/news/loc...f01b2d6ae.html

Also, I agree with your statement about Raleigh. My parents live in Asheville so I can understand that comparison, but Raleigh is more a New South city with a culture more similar that to booming capital cities like Columbus, Ohio. Its economy is more tied to government and the tech sector. In Asheville it is tied to tourism, breweries (yes it is a big industry there), and the service sector and the culture there definitely attracts West coasters looking to move to more affordable places (relatively). I would actually say Durham is more liberal and has more of an Asheville atmosphere than Raleigh does.

Last edited by dbcook1; 11-07-2019 at 08:10 AM..

Old 11-07-2019, 09:41 AM

1,368 posts, read 845,091 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SoftVision View Post
I'm a conservative in his late twenties, working in IT looking for a new part of the country to move and work in. I've previously lived in Bozeman, MT, Columbus, Ohio and most recently Minneapolis, MN.

Minneapolis is not bad, but I'm thinking of trying something new over the next year or so. Living in MT made me fall in love with the mountains, so having mountains around or nearby would be great.

Some places I'm thinking of based on the names I've seen pop up here and in YouTube videos in no particular order:

Raleigh, NC
Chattanooga, TN
Fort Worth, TX

I've been to the south before (LA and KY). I love the food and energy down there. The people seem really warm and friendly too and I miss that.

I'm also really curious about living in New Hampshire. I don't mind living in cold weather at all, as long as there's someplace I can go ski. I'd like to have a family one day and it seems like a great state for that. I also kind of like that it doesn't seem to show up on a lot of polls or lists that I've come across, so it could be a hidden gem.

I'm also open to any new suggestions.
Raleigh would be a good pick just because there's a lot of tech opportunity, but it's pretty far from mountains. Charlotte could be a better pick for you since it's closer to Asheville.

If you can get a remote job, consider Lynchburg, VA. Quick and easy drive to Raleigh and it's right near the Blue Ridge Mountains. People are much friendlier here than in Raleigh/Charlotte (not that they are terrible in those cities though). It's a much smaller town, conservative but not overly conservative, but it also doesn't have a ton of high paying jobs so you'll want to prioritize that if you even decide to put it on your radar.

Old 11-08-2019, 12:06 AM

121 posts, read 40,379 times
Omaha NE May suite you well.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or