U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-05-2019, 09:34 AM

5 posts, read 1,200 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by eddie gein View Post
Dollar General and a convenience store in an old gas station that keeps it's bathroom unlocked.
You are low maintenance!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-05-2019, 11:49 AM

7,455 posts, read 4,075,295 times
I remember that most small towns in Missouri had a Pizza Hut as one of the first "chain" businesses after a Circle K or Casey's. Then comes the Dollar Store. I was going through Kansas once and was talking to a local guy who mentioned that their town was losing residents to a neighboring town: "They got the Walmart" was his explanation with almost fatalistic resignation (Alas, we are doomed).

Old 11-22-2019, 12:59 PM

734 posts, read 1,425,242 times
Nearly every small town in South Carolina has either a Dollar General or a Family Dollar. Andrews, for example, a town of 3,000 people, has TWO Dollar Generals. More Dollar Generals than supermarkets.

Andrews though is the town for something like a 20 mile radius around it. A lot of small towns in SC are like that.

Subway also goes into nearly every small town. You can go to one in a gas station in a lot of places.

Old 11-22-2019, 02:43 PM

7,549 posts, read 6,550,845 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jetsfan16 View Post
Nearly every small town in South Carolina has either a Dollar General or a Family Dollar.
There is a really small town not too far from me that got a brand new Dollar General and a brand new Family Dollar both on the main drag about a quarter mile away from each other. This town could only reasonably support one of the two. They both opened within a couple of months. The Family Dollar lasted about two years before it closed. So now this little town has a basically brand new empty storefront on it's main street that it will likely never be able to fill with any business.

Old 11-22-2019, 07:37 PM

5,568 posts, read 2,131,736 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jetsfan16 View Post
Walmart. Basically any decent-sized town (10,000 or more) has one. Some even smaller than that in the West and South.
The first hundred or so WalMarts were located in much smaller towns, often under 5,000.

Old 11-23-2019, 02:58 AM

15,229 posts, read 8,175,783 times
Aldi. I need somewhere to buy food that isn’t a dollar store. I can internet shop everything else.

Aldi isn’t fully national yet but they’re expanding like crazy. 1900 stores and adding another 700 in the next few years.

Old 11-23-2019, 03:57 AM

18,470 posts, read 4,527,965 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Leviathan Tube View Post
We saw a recent poll/thread about high end businesses that indicate a city has "arrived". In a similar vein, when you are traveling off the beaten path, what businesses make you think "Maybe I could live here."?

I'm a big fan of small town entrepreneurship, but to keep this thread simple let's restrict answers to national and regional chains.
a grocery store of some sort ,gas station, and a tire place and a good church,a small bank or credit union

Old 11-23-2019, 06:22 AM

21,596 posts, read 31,303,334 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mhays25 View Post
Walmart indicates the opposite. There are a few stacked Walmarts, but nearly all of the rest are in horrible neighborhoods. It may be hard to find a town without one, but it'll generally be a better town for it.

In a neighborhood, my first requirement would be a coffee shop and a corner store, neither with any off-street parking.

In a town, it would need a good walkable core where a person could buy everything they need (minus a few mail order items per year) and with at least five or six of the best cuisines decently represented.
Definitely on the right track in my opinion. Walmart can/does pop up in the most god-forsaken places with no other criteria than a certain population threshold, minus most if not all retail options. I would say Target is much more choosy and a whole lot more desirable. Other signs for most would include a Starbucks, nicer drug store(s) like Walgreen's, better fast food chains like Chick-Fil-A, Panera Bread or Chipotle, chain restaurants like Outback Steakhouse and Carrabba's along with retailers like a Macy's/Kohl's/JC Penney, Home Depot/Lowe's, Bed Bath Beyond/TJ Maxx/Homegoods and Gap/Old Navy or American Eagle Outfitters. I realize these options don't land on the bare minimum bar, however I don't think most would choose that level as their "bare minimum".

Old 11-23-2019, 01:36 PM

5,843 posts, read 9,011,984 times
I was going to say Target and Lowe's and a full size grocery with organic produce but now I've gotten accustomed to trader joe's. Any city that has a TJs will have the other stuff.
I like having a food co-op but that is mostly a matter of convenience.

Old 11-23-2019, 05:50 PM

1,356 posts, read 796,440 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by eddie gein View Post
There is a really small town not too far from me that got a brand new Dollar General and a brand new Family Dollar both on the main drag about a quarter mile away from each other. This town could only reasonably support one of the two. They both opened within a couple of months. The Family Dollar lasted about two years before it closed. So now this little town has a basically brand new empty storefront on it's main street that it will likely never be able to fill with any business.
Seems like Dollar Generals are opening stores everywhere, at least in FL. There are 2 Walmarts in my county of 100,000. Dont know if that is average or not. The town Clewiston off Lake Okeechobee has a Walmart. Theres only 8 thousand people there.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or