U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
View Poll Results: Which is higher profile area-Gulf Coast or Great Lake?
Gulf Coast 32 50.00%
Great Lake 32 50.00%
Voters: 64. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 11-13-2019, 02:56 PM
 
818 posts, read 240,229 times
Reputation: 560

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by CCrest182 View Post
But seriously, if anything this Gulf coast region is the most unsustainable part of the south, when you look at disasters like hurricanes and flooding. Hell, New Orleans is literally built below sea level.
China gets smacked every year with typhoons. And guess what? They thrive with multiple mega cities sitting right on the coast.

Hurricanes provide ample time to make necessary preparations. Use the time wisely, and they basically become big rainstorms. Great weather to chill with some Netflix.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 11-13-2019, 03:10 PM
 
Location: Houston for Living/Los Angeles for Work
1,486 posts, read 541,174 times
Reputation: 2039
Quote:
Originally Posted by CCrest182 View Post
Name checks out.

But seriously, if anything this Gulf coast region is the most unsustainable part of the south, when you look at disasters like hurricanes and flooding. Hell, New Orleans is literally built below sea level.

And while I do enjoy a southern climate to an extent.... the area immediately off the coast more inland is literally a swamp, which in the summer is somewhere I would absolutely not want to be anywhere near. The Great Lakes region is also somewhat swamp like in terms of humidity, but the winters make it more moderate.
Ive never viewed the Great Lakes winters as "moderate". Compared to Siberia perhaps.

New Orleans should never have been built where it is, but its going to be fine because it has to be. Well just keep engineering short term solutions for it. Houston is fine. The same areas flood over and over but the overwhelming majority of the city doesnt flood at all.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 11-13-2019, 06:11 PM
 
Location: Cleveland, OH
9,160 posts, read 8,099,220 times
Reputation: 8113
Quote:
Originally Posted by ScrappyJoe View Post
China gets smacked every year with typhoons. And guess what? They thrive with multiple mega cities sitting right on the coast.

Hurricanes provide ample time to make necessary preparations. Use the time wisely, and they basically become big rainstorms. Great weather to chill with some Netflix.
China. Not the greatest example of sustainability.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 11-13-2019, 06:58 PM
 
Location: Point Loma, San Diego, CA
1,558 posts, read 1,224,299 times
Reputation: 1335
Quote:
Originally Posted by joyride2019 View Post
I'd say Great Lakes due to the extreme importance placed on this region in presidential politics alone.
This is a pretty interesting take on the question.

Yes-Michigan, Ohio, Wisconsin is perhaps the most critical political area of the nation and the chief population centers of those states are on the Lakes.

Its true that there are dire predictions about water for the future and the Lakes are what they are. However, there has been scaremongering about water in California since the 1880's and its unclear how accurate any of the rhetoric was now or then.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 11-13-2019, 08:31 PM
 
Location: Seattle WA, USA
4,191 posts, read 2,408,919 times
Reputation: 2850
Great Lakes
Chicago: 9,533,040
Toronto: 5,928,040
Detroit: 4,292,060
Cleveland: 2,057,009
Milwaukee: 1,572,245
Buffalo: 1,134,210
Rochester: 1,082,284

Gulf Coast
Houston: 6,997,384
Tampa: 3,068,511
Havana: 2,106,146
New Orleans: 1,262,888
Merida: 1,058,764

It's clear to see the great lakes out perform the gulf coast in terms of support large cities, There is also the fact that Mississippi is the poorest state in the Union and it sits right on the coast as well, however bad the rust belt is, they are still doing way better than Mississippi and Alabama.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 11-13-2019, 08:46 PM
 
13,886 posts, read 22,486,529 times
Reputation: 4795
Traditionally, Great Lakes.

Currently, Gulf Coast.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 11-13-2019, 09:04 PM
 
Location: Point Loma, San Diego, CA
1,558 posts, read 1,224,299 times
Reputation: 1335
Quote:
Originally Posted by aries4118 View Post
Traditionally, Great Lakes.

Currently, Gulf Coast.
Then why is Florida's gulf coast such a dud economically? All that coastline and not much to talk about. Why have coastal cities in MS and AL never really been able to gain any name recognition?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 11-13-2019, 09:14 PM
 
2,461 posts, read 1,217,045 times
Reputation: 3121
Quote:
Originally Posted by grega94 View Post
Great Lakes
Chicago: 9,533,040
Toronto: 5,928,040
Detroit: 4,292,060
Cleveland: 2,057,009
Milwaukee: 1,572,245
Buffalo: 1,134,210
Rochester: 1,082,284

Gulf Coast
Houston: 6,997,384
Tampa: 3,068,511
Havana: 2,106,146
New Orleans: 1,262,888
Merida: 1,058,764

It's clear to see the great lakes out perform the gulf coast in terms of support large cities, There is also the fact that Mississippi is the poorest state in the Union and it sits right on the coast as well, however bad the rust belt is, they are still doing way better than Mississippi and Alabama.
The Rust Belt isn't "bad." That's an antiquated, offensive term, used to denigrate.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 11-13-2019, 10:18 PM
 
2,461 posts, read 1,217,045 times
Reputation: 3121
Quote:
Originally Posted by grega94 View Post
Great Lakes
Chicago: 9,533,040
Toronto: 5,928,040
Detroit: 4,292,060
Cleveland: 2,057,009
Milwaukee: 1,572,245
Buffalo: 1,134,210
Rochester: 1,082,284

Gulf Coast
Houston: 6,997,384
Tampa: 3,068,511
Havana: 2,106,146
New Orleans: 1,262,888
Merida: 1,058,764

It's clear to see the great lakes out perform the gulf coast in terms of support large cities, There is also the fact that Mississippi is the poorest state in the Union and it sits right on the coast as well, however bad the rust belt is, they are still doing way better than Mississippi and Alabama.
Milwaukee is a former "Rust Belt" city, and it's stunning. No one would ever think this city is doing "bad." When I drive along Lake Michigan, I see cars parked from many, many different states. People out walking, and enjoying the beauty. Take a look at my attachments...I had a hard time not posting more. All of this, sits on Lake Michigan, and, a river runs through downtown.

https://www.google.com/maps/place/Mi...!4d-87.9064736

https://www.google.com/maps/place/Mi...!4d-87.9064736

https://www.google.com/maps/place/Mi...!4d-87.9064736
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 11-13-2019, 11:06 PM
 
Location: Seattle WA, USA
4,191 posts, read 2,408,919 times
Reputation: 2850
Quote:
Originally Posted by Enean View Post
Milwaukee is a former "Rust Belt" city, and it's stunning. No one would ever think this city is doing "bad." When I drive along Lake Michigan, I see cars parked from many, many different states. People out walking, and enjoying the beauty. Take a look at my attachments...I had a hard time not posting more. All of this, sits on Lake Michigan, and, a river runs through downtown.

https://www.google.com/maps/place/Mi...!4d-87.9064736

https://www.google.com/maps/place/Mi...!4d-87.9064736

https://www.google.com/maps/place/Mi...!4d-87.9064736
I have nothing against the great lakes cities, and I'm aware that slump that these cities have faced earlier is pretty much over and many of the cities are revitalizing. I also think that Milwaukee is one of the most underrated cities in the country. I also voted for the great lakes region in this poll
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply

Quick Reply
Message:


Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

© 2005-2019, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top