U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-06-2019, 08:27 PM

483 posts, read 193,080 times

Advertisements

Here in ND, absolutely not. I would not generally suggest a tourist come to this part of the state (western part has more sights and things to see for tourists).

Where I've lived previously: Atlanta, absolutely not. Much better being a local and knowing where places are, how to get around with crazy drivers all around you, etc. Same was true of Columbia, SC, where I l lived.

Only place I have lived where it might be true is Philly, and I am ambivalent on this. Probably more true than not though.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-06-2019, 08:32 PM

2,213 posts, read 723,997 times
Ignorance is bliss.

When you're a local you know more of the warts. Which is a more balanced view.

Old 11-07-2019, 02:31 PM

26,107 posts, read 24,883,787 times
I agree with Citykid. Sometimes you just need to find the time to attend an event or just wander around.

Old 11-07-2019, 02:47 PM

190 posts, read 64,238 times
Being a tourist means you are there for a limited time and tend to cram in a bunch of activities during your visit. It can mean you see the most popular sights in just a few days. You might leave feeling fulfilled and appreciate what you saw and plan to return to see the rest of the "main sights." I think a lot of people who live in or near cities appreciate their cities not only for the big sights, but for the things that are more popular with locals. The off the beaten trail type things. I think there are multiple types of appreciation that can be experienced by locals and tourists. One is a sense of wonder and awe at experiencing a city on vacation and one is a sense of gratefulness for having so many activities and sights at your fingertips in your daily life.

Old 11-08-2019, 08:40 AM

5,745 posts, read 6,282,833 times
I dont really do the touristy stuff in St. Louis. The Arch and other things are nice but not something that I make a effort to see. St. Louis culture can be found in the arts, things like farmers markets and neighborhoods.

Chicago was the same way. Now it is a great city with tons of stuff for tourists to do but the real Chicago can be found in its neighborhoods that tourist wouldn't think to go into. Talking to locals who have lived the history of their city is better than any museum or tour.

Memphis on the other hand has a lot of touristy stuff and is very short on amenities that locals would take advantage of. Many young memphians talk about the music festivals and going to Beale street on weekends. Many talk about road trips to Nashville for Nashville shores, shopping and acts that don't make it to Memphis.

Old 11-09-2019, 03:56 AM

5,456 posts, read 2,083,754 times
I used o ride the bus to Walmart. I liked to pretend I was riding the airport shuttle to my hotel in a country had never been in before. Scary.

Old 11-11-2019, 05:59 PM

860 posts, read 1,100,983 times
Well, in my area, Metro Detroit, a lot of things are really hard to find unless you go out of your way to look for them.

If you love to shop or love cars, there are abundant opportunities to do pursue those interests. If not, then you really have to become an explorer to find your place here.

I'm a transplant to the area and I've found myself in this same conversation with different transplants over the years because we aren't that into cars and we aren't huge into consumer culture either.

Even some of friends who grew up here say the same thing - you really have to go out of your way to find things/activities to do. There's the tourist stuff and the car stuff and the shopping. If what you want isn't in those categories, you'll have to go out of your way to find it. You have to be "a tourist" or else you'd have a pretty dull life here - unless you love shopping and cars! (And obviously a lot of people here do because there's plenty of it!)

Also, with the resurgence of downtown, a lot of people are more interested in experiencing what downtown has to offer. So being a tourist has a "wow" factor to it now because most people are really excited about what's going on downtown. Downtown is now a cool place to go, not a place a lot of people are escaping from. So.....it's just a weird time to live in this area. Having lived here pre-2008 and after the auto restructuring and now the bankruptcy/the aftermath........Detroit wasn't always this cool with suburbanites. Not saying it's a bad thing, but just the turnaround in attitude has been striking to watch and experience. People are really okay with being tourists in our town at the moment.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or