U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-06-2019, 05:56 PM

2,283 posts, read 4,794,157 times

Advertisements

So, my top 3 priorities are:

1. Quality, accessible healthcare (doctors taking new patients without 3-4 months wait times)

2. Mild winters (some snow ok, no blizzards, no minus 30 wind chills)

3. Moderate cost of living (lower is better, but moderate is ok)

Other priorities include:

4. Safety (comfortable enough city to walk around in the evening)

5. Large enough to have good public libraries, Whole Foods and Trader Joe's, and Uber/Lyft

In general, what cities might fit the bill? Geography not important, could be anywhere in US.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-06-2019, 06:41 PM

4,053 posts, read 1,760,356 times
The Raleigh/Durham, NC area would fit the bill.

Old 11-06-2019, 07:18 PM

1,529 posts, read 1,165,935 times
Atlanta
Raleigh
Charlotte
Greenville
Knoxville
Chattanooga
Louisville
Kansas city

Old 11-06-2019, 08:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Citykid3785 View Post
Atlanta
Raleigh
Charlotte
Greenville
Knoxville
Chattanooga
Louisville
Kansas city
This is a good list. When I saw what the OP was wanting, Raleigh/Durham popped in my mind first. But these others are good choices as well. Might could even throw in the Nashville area too. But if I had to go with ONE with the best balance of what you're looking for, Raleigh/Durham would be my recommendation.

Last edited by march2; 11-06-2019 at 08:20 PM..

Old 11-06-2019, 08:07 PM

5,746 posts, read 6,284,434 times
Raleigh Durham is the first to come to mind.

Old 11-07-2019, 03:26 PM

2,283 posts, read 4,794,157 times
Good replies. Thanks. I have been researching Raleigh/Durham, and it checks some of the boxes, but my concern is the high crime rate. I've spent some time on the C-D triangle forum and a lot of posters have concerns with crime, and share specific examples that are somewhat concerning. Crime is everywhere, but I wouldn't want to move to a place where I didn't feel safe, or I wasn't able to walk around in the evening.

The triangle certainly scores high on healthcare and milder winters, though the COL isn't that low when taxes are taken into account. But it's still on my list.

Old 11-07-2019, 03:34 PM

635 posts, read 170,736 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by xz2y View Post
Good replies. Thanks. I have been researching Raleigh/Durham, and it checks some of the boxes, but my concern is the high crime rate. I've spent some time on the C-D triangle forum and a lot of posters have concerns with crime, and share specific examples that are somewhat concerning. Crime is everywhere, but I wouldn't want to move to a place where I didn't feel safe, or I wasn't able to walk around in the evening.

The triangle certainly scores high on healthcare and milder winters, though the COL isn't that low when taxes are taken into account. But it's still on my list.
I'm a lifelong NC resident. The Triangle area has a very bad crime rate and so does Charlotte. Personally, I'd choose Asheville if I had to live in this state the rest of my life, followed by Boone, Gastonia, and maybe Huntersville.

Old 11-07-2019, 03:35 PM

30,667 posts, read 28,404,926 times
Quote:

When it comes to crime in the Triangle, Durham is the primary culprit. Raleigh, Chapel Hill, Cary, etc. all fare a lot better there.

Personally, when it comes to NC, I think the Triad might work better for you, particularly Winston-Salem.

Old 11-07-2019, 06:06 PM

Quote:

Just be careful to evaluate just what "high crime" is. What we hear on the news and sometimes rates of crime itself can be deceiving.

The fact is, most crimes A) are usually in specific areas of any city and B) the victims and perpetrators know one another the vast majority of the time. So in most any town, if one is aware of their surroundings, knows what areas to stay out of, and uses personal safety common sense, they will be fine. If you're looking at a metro area, you can find nice, safe areas within any metro area. One poster suggested Gastonia, NC (a Charlotte suburb). I actually live in Gastonia. It has a higher-than-average crime rate, but I've been here 50 of my 54 years of life. Out of all of that time, the only issue I've ever had was in 1988 someone broke into a home I was renting. That was it. I've always lived by the rules I mentioned above and have had pretty much no problems. Anyway, just another way to look at crime rates so you don't prematurely rule out a good area by judging from the rate of crime alone. Good luck in your search!

Old 11-08-2019, 06:25 AM

21,575 posts, read 31,245,492 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mutiny77 View Post
When it comes to crime in the Triangle, Durham is the primary culprit. Raleigh, Chapel Hill, Cary, etc. all fare a lot better there.

Personally, when it comes to NC, I think the Triad might work better for you, particularly Winston-Salem.
I agree, it's a gem of a city if you consider the cost of living and amenities provided along with quality of life measures. The OP has a desire for Whole Foods and Trader Joe's both of which opened in Winston Salem many years ago, which says something regarding desirability given the selectivity of those companies regarding where they open stores.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or