U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old Yesterday, 11:59 AM

1,124 posts, read 420,683 times

Advertisements

Nashville is booming. No one talks about Knoxville or Memphis as sharing that. Virginia and Tennessee are growing fine, but they are behind most of the rest of the Southeast.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old Yesterday, 01:26 PM

150 posts, read 77,069 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Heel82 View Post
Nashville is booming. No one talks about Knoxville or Memphis as sharing that. Virginia and Tennessee are growing fine, but they are behind most of the rest of the Southeast.
I was in Chattanooga last year and was surprised by the amount of growth and development in and around downtown. It is also growing at a pretty healthy clip. The city may even be growing faster than Nashville now... https://www.timesfreepress.com/news/...te-top/471907/

And its average income growth is something like sixth in the nation. https://www.timesfreepress.com/news/...growth/479344/

I was also in Knoxville last year and while there is quite a bit of construction and bustle downtown, I would say you are correct it is not growing nearly as fast as Nashville or Chattanooga as far as I could tell.

Old Yesterday, 04:01 PM

4,260 posts, read 9,048,134 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by newgensandiego View Post
I think the Massachusetts vs. Tennessee comparison is particularly interesting, especially considering how much hype there is about TN booming (well maybe just Nashville). It's definitely growing by a lot, but it's helpful to see that a state of near-equal population (MA) that doesn't have a national reputation for growth is growing at similar levels.

And as many others have said, it's helpful to point out that CA is still growing robustly. 2.3 million people is equivalent to the Sacramento metropolitan area or Riverside County (10th most populous in the country).

Virginia is still growing robustly, although it's not in the news as much. I'm wondering if it because growth is more spread out. Whereas Tennessee is booming in large part due to Nashville, Virginia has robust/steady growth in the DC suburbs, greater Richmond, and, surprisingly, even in rural towns near Appalachia (Roanoke, Lynchburg).
I wouldn't classify areas like Roanoke and Lynchburg as growing robustly at all-steady, but not not robust.

Roanoke is growing, sure, but below is the 2010 vs 2018 city population:

Independent city (2010) 97,032
Estimate (2018) 99,920

Whereas Lynchburg's growth is below, during the same timeframe:

Independent city 75,568
Estimate (2018) 82,126

Southwest Virginia, pretty much from Roanoke to the Tennessee border, has anemic growth to population loss.

The bulk of Virginia's robust growth is far and wide the DC suburbs.

As for Tennessee, Nashville's metro area leads by far, followed by Knoxville's metro and then Chattanooga. Memphis is stagnant to just a trickle of population growth.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or