Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-21-2006, 09:17 PM

2,909 posts, read 14,053,564 times

Advertisements

Moderator cut: linking to competitors sites is not allowed

Please see the comparsion between my city and Oil city! I think apologies are in order for insulting Oil city and calling it a dump! You have never been to Oil city so you have no justification of that. I have talked to several who have been to Oil city or live in Oil city and all of them say its a nice quite low crime place. Its true theres no good jobs but ive said it a hundred times.......im self employeed! Oil city in the middle of nowhere? Wrong! Theres several towns all around Oil city and theres Erie city to the north and a huge metro city Pittsburgh to the south(less than hour and a half drive)

The climate is not as cold as I had feared. I checked the temperatures and the highs average 45 and the lows average 30. It can occasionally get colder when a cold front comes but otherwise I consider the winters mild because the highs stay above freezing. Yes I know it can and does snow and I can deal with it. In fact its a welcome change of scinery, a new experience that we Floridians never get(nonwithstanding a miracle)

The crime in Oil city is below national average, about half that in fact. I think id feel quite safe, especially in comparsion to WPB! Unless I spend at least half a million for an upscale house in an upscale gated neighboorhood, ill live in fear of a burgulary or find my car "missing" oneday. I could have a drug dealer or gang member for my neighboorhood!

Finally prices are ridiculous! I have yet to see any detached house worth buying that costs less than $300k(although theres townhouses for 80% the price or $240k) it should come by no supprise that you have to be rich to afford my city(ditto for many other cities and states) Crime is the biggest factor in my decision to relocate to a safe, quiet low crime city. Before you are so quick to negatively judge Oil city, check how safe it is!

Last edited by Yac; 01-09-2008 at 07:09 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-21-2006, 09:20 PM

88 posts, read 97,132 times
You're self employed and gonna go in the hole since you have no capital to bank it. Oil City is cold. YOU WILL NEED HEATING.

And yes, I have been to Oil City, so yes, I can vouch for it being a dump. I won't apologize. A HIGH OF 45 IS NOT WARM, IT'S NOT WARM ENOUGH WITHOUT HEATING.

And "near cities" like Erie...um, haven't heard anything good about Erie...I would suspect the drug problems in Erie will eventually drift. Nothing stays remote forever.

Eventually your beloved Oil City could become expensive too.

And this would sound shallow but who would live in a place called Oil City? It doesn't even sound interesting. No offense for any of this, but your decision is absoultely appalingly ridiculous, and MANY people agree with me, and NOBODY agrees with you.

Old 12-21-2006, 09:50 PM

I will see for myself when I visit Oil city. Sorry but I refuse to heat the house if its 45 outside. I speak from experience, its been 45 here on a cold day and it was a cozy 70 indoors. Even if it was 60, I wont heat. If you want me to heat then you send me money because I dont have extra money to burn!
I will only heat to keep it above freezing so the pipes and I dont freeze! Others have to me ill be fine as long as I keep the house at least 55 to 60 degrees. even Cosmic keeps it 55-60.

You consider Oil city a dump and now you are saying Oil city could become expensive? Good ill have lots of equity that ill cash out and move to another inexpensive place, buy a nice big house and put the rest away for retirement

So you dont consider Oil city interesting? Then please suggest an interesting place with crime as low as Oil city and affordable houses

Old 12-21-2006, 09:52 PM

RENT! YOU DONT NEED A DARN HOUSE FOR ONE PERSON! RENT! GET OVER IT - it's NOT THE BEST THING, but RENT. SOMEWHERE OTHER THEN OIL CITY!!

Old 12-21-2006, 09:58 PM

Sure, find me some cheap $300 rent in a nice low crime location. I will pay for rent only as much as property tax and insurance combined will be. I need my space for my collections and pet goldfish as well as a guest bedroom for my friends and family. Hey, where do YOU want to relocate out of Delaware?

Old 12-21-2006, 10:04 PM

You're so ridiculous. You're trying to live a LIFETIME GOAL - not renting, being able to be independent - WITH NOTHING TO BUILD ON.

You're going to move to Oil City; alas, a dump. Sure, you can have your house and room for your goldfish, and collections (that is a really silly reason to buy a house). You're going to have no friends there, no life, and no fun. But you'll be living cheap, so I guess you'll be happy.

As numerous people agree with me, I don't care to tell you anymore. You're naive and sorry, but I'm beginning to also think you're stupid, for not listening to ANYONE. But learn the hard way.

Notice nobody else cared about this thread, possibly because you're so asinine most of the time. I don't like being harsh, but you're just ridiculous.

As for me - I'm going to relocate somewhere the smart way. I'm going to go for my dream in steps. I'm going to bite the bullet and rent for awhile, with a roomate. Build up a steady income. Get my life in order. THEN I'LL TRY TO BUY, probably in my early 30's. You could afford to buy much sooner, but you didn't do things the right in my opinion, you're half-assing this and it's going to come back and bite you.

Old 12-21-2006, 10:13 PM

LOL I want my own house asap, not when im old! I dont want to live with anyone but myself! I had roomates back in college and I was not happy so I learned my lesson! Your gonna rent away for 10 years? Good for you, ill own and be building equity when my house goes up in value while youll own nothing by renting and the house you want to buy will cost alot more 10 years in the future!

But I have pointed out the crime in West Palm Beach is very high. Kevin, I worry for you. Wherever you choose to move, make sure the crime is not any higher than Oil city! Safety comes first, hun.

We chatted on instant messenger to work out our disagreements. I realize crime can be localized to a part of a city that reports high crime. I also realize rent can be the better deal, this is true in much of CA where an apartment for $2000 a month can cost as much as a million to buy!

Last edited by Need_affordable_home; 12-21-2006 at 11:19 PM..

Old 12-22-2006, 06:31 AM

30,286 posts, read 51,763,161 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kdm31091 View Post
And this would sound shallow but who would live in a place called Oil City? It doesn't even sound interesting.
I'm sorry to anyone who lives there, but I've been thinking the same thing! Even if it's the greatest place in the world, there's just something about the name - OIL CITY - that makes me wonder. Has anyone else noticed that you can often judge a town by it's name?

Old 12-22-2006, 06:36 AM

4,494 posts, read 7,460,603 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Need_affordable_home View Post
So you dont consider Oil city interesting? Then please suggest an interesting place with crime as low as Oil city and affordable houses
Delray, Michigan! (lol)

It's interesting! (in a morbid way)

It's affordable! (if you don't mind losing your initial investment of 5 thousand!)

Crime is low! (no one practically lives there!)

Old 12-22-2006, 08:15 AM

3,632 posts, read 16,123,296 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Need_affordable_home View Post
[url] Its true theres no good jobs but ive said it a hundred times.......im self employeed!
Please stop mispelling "self-employed" its driving me nuts!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.