Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-25-2006, 10:01 PM

2,909 posts, read 14,085,150 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by wallstreet1986 View Post
Need affordable home -- hmm so you want two houses now instead of one. Thats not going to be realistic you are out of your mind.

Its relistic depending where. I could easily afford two or three houses in a place like Oil city. Even in a more expensive city, I could buy one house now and another one in 5 years when I save up.

Quote:
Except for the west coast or Colorado etc or a place where it is really cold in the winter like Wisconsin or Maine it is going to get hot. Hell it gets hot in Chicago or Minneapolis and it gets cold as hell there too. Southern heat is more sustained and for a longer point but there is such things as air conditioning, mountains, pools, cold drinks, and shade. Maybe you would like southern/western Virginia like Lynchburg, Richmond, Roanoake. There is eastern Tennessee- Nashville, Bristol, Chattanooga, Knoxville, and mountains in south Carolina/Georgia -- Spartanburg, Greenville to name a few. Texas is a wonderful affordable place but you dont like heat thats a toughie. Theres the Ozarks but they arent as high up -- Branson, Joplin, Springfield Missouri.

Now that you mention it, I have Bristol, TN on my list of affordable cities. There are currently 14 houses for up to $50k in that city. Let me show you a picture of what I want:

http://homepics.realtor.com/image2/http/northeasttn/listings/large/064/234904a.jpg (broken link)

http://homepics.realtor.com/image2/http/northeasttn/listings/large/057/235516a.jpg (broken link)

Those two houses are fine, the second one smaller but newer.

Quote:
Everyplace there are trades offs but I think you would find that the affordable homes, nicest people, and lifestyle are found in the heat. People in the south play baseball all summer long, they work on cars, they swim, they play outside, and most likely many of them work all week in an air conditioned building. At night its somewhat cooler outdoors but not a whole lot-- I like it-- its still like 75 degrees but its nice. You are going to have to make some "tradeoffs" or learn to like what you can afford. Its like a dog going on a leash for a walk-- he can either pull, bark, and fight and have a miserable time or he can accept it and try to enjoy the walk.

Good advice. Heat is something ill have to deal with but at least its not as miserably hot as Florida and springs/falls up north is nice and pleasent
Your right, ill have to be a little less picky, but dont you admit those two houses shown above are decent? If they are in a somewhat questionable neighboorhood then be it, the price is right regardless. Ill be nice to everyone and also mind my business so hopefully no one has a reason to perform an act of crime on me
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-25-2006, 10:04 PM

413 posts, read 2,560,918 times
Pretty cool. Hope you get something you like and can restore it.

One ugly point about the south-- very very ugly-- cockroaches.

I can absolutely not stand bugs and am not used to them.

But you are used to them in Palm Beach Florida. I dont think if you dragged me on a plane with a gun could you get me to go to Florida. Bugs are that creepy to me.

Old 12-26-2006, 02:34 AM

21 posts, read 88,018 times
In the Carlolinas, one of the biggest industries is tobacco. Therefore, everyone smokes!

I heard from a friend who moved to Kentucky that they still allow corporal punishment in the schools. Also, that's the Bible belt.

Alabama is one of the poorest states in the country.
A friend of mine moved there last month and says most of the men are scuzzy looking, dirty and unkempt. Oh, and THEY ALL CHEW TOBACCY AND SPIT!!!!!

Old 12-26-2006, 04:25 AM

6 posts, read 49,589 times
Prejudice in south is institutionalized, whether in the "lost cause," Confederate Flags still flying in public display or on State flags (remember the stink when they tried to change the State flags in SC and GA to get rid of the stars and bars?), lack of resources to public institutions such as schools; poor spending on public health; some areas still don't have running water and on and on it goes. (Don't believe me? 60 Minutes had an article about two years ago on a community in VA, mostly African American - wonder why - that finally got running water.) Why are the states with the lowest level of education in the South? Why was there such a stink in Richmond when they erected a small statue of Lincoln on Federal property a few years ago? Why are some public universities still defacto segregated? The South has made tremendous strides since I was a kid and taught that African Americans were better off as slaves, but get out of the cities and you are in the "old" South. New Orleans serves as a good example of what is below the surface. Don't make assumptions about my politics, for some I am too conservative, for others too liberal. Maybe I am mainstream.

Old 12-26-2006, 05:35 AM

2,909 posts, read 14,085,150 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Yodelady View Post
In the Carlolinas, one of the biggest industries is tobacco. Therefore, everyone smokes!

I heard from a friend who moved to Kentucky that they still allow corporal punishment in the schools. Also, that's the Bible belt.

Alabama is one of the poorest states in the country.
A friend of mine moved there last month and says most of the men are scuzzy looking, dirty and unkempt. Oh, and THEY ALL CHEW TOBACCY AND SPIT!!!!!

Yuck! I find other smokers a turn off! Good thing Oil city doesnt have those problems! Cedar Rapids hopefully is a good alternative to Oil city.

Old 12-26-2006, 03:43 PM

Wow I find all of your commentary laughable -- man they chew and spit, they still allow the death penalty in that stay, oh man Im not moving there.

In Cedar Rapids they use manure for farming. In Oil City aka Pittsburgh (had to look the place up) they have a high security prison downtown right by the station square and incline. Ugh Im not moving there, Cough loser

Old 12-26-2006, 03:44 PM

Need you serve me my daily dose of entertainment.

Old 12-26-2006, 04:03 PM

110 posts, read 394,824 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wallstreet1986 View Post
Wow I find all of your commentary laughable -- man they chew and spit, they still allow the death penalty in that stay, oh man Im not moving there.

In Cedar Rapids they use manure for farming. In Oil City aka Pittsburgh (had to look the place up) they have a high security prison downtown right by the station square and incline. Ugh Im not moving there, Cough loser

I agree. These recent posts are ridiculous.

Men chew and spit? Bible belt? Racism? Just stay out if you have all these crazy stereotypes.

I could care freaking less if someone chews tobacco, and if they spit. (heaven forbid they swallowed it ) I dont smoke or chew tobacco, but I dont mind other people that do or put my nose if someone else's business.

I say if you cant advertise tobacco, you cant advertise alcohol. Seriously how many families and lives have been destroyed by alcohol related deaths?

Old 12-26-2006, 04:08 PM

110 posts, read 394,824 times
On to the main point of this thread, some posters have said things about NC and many other Southern states turning into Florida. Its true.

I live in the Lake Norman area of NC just north of Charlotte, I wont even begin to get into the out of control growth here.

I was in the mountains of western NC 2 weeks ago. Quite a few foothills and mountains had their entire trees cut down at the peak with a housing development on top. Sure the view from these homes looking down is nice, but the view up is depressing.

Old 12-28-2006, 05:39 PM

105 posts, read 352,092 times
lived in Va most of my life,
in order

Danville, VA
Columbia,SC
Wilmington, NC
Savanna, GA
Bristol, TN
Lexington, KY
Huntsville, AL
Charleston, WVA
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.