Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-01-2019, 08:05 AM

26,960 posts, read 43,474,414 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by elchevere View Post
As someone who went to an Ivy (Cornell), I have never heard of UCI—or any UC, outside of Berkeley—being compared to one. Ditto for SUNY’s (unless talking about the state divisions within Cornell).
Public Ivies are a thing and nearly as reputable in many cases. "Public Ivies are considered, according to The Journal of Blacks in Higher Education, to be capable of "successfully competing with the Ivy League schools in academic rigor ... attracting superstar faculty and in competing for the best and brightest students of all races."

They are as follows:

College of William & Mary (Williamsburg, Virginia)
Georgia Tech
Indiana University
Miami University (Oxford, Ohio)
Michigan State
Penn State
Rutgers U
SUNY-Binghamton
University of California (Cal-Berkeley, UC-Davis, UC-Irvine, UCLA, UC-Santa Barbara, UC-San Diego, UC-San Francisco, UC-Santa Cruz)
University of Arizona
University of Colorado
University of Florida
University of Illinois
University of Iowa
University of Michigan (Ann Arbor)
University of North Carolina (Chapel Hill)
University of Pittsburgh
University of Texas (Austin)
University of Vermont (Burlington)
University of Virginia (Charlottesville)
University of Washington
University of Wisconsin
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-01-2019, 08:16 AM

7,379 posts, read 6,455,888 times
You didn’t read my entire reply...I am not disputing many public’s are very good and do attract excellent students and faculty. Where they fail to match Ivy’s or other top rated private schools (Stanford, MIT, Northwestern etc) is on the strength of their alumni networks and NATIONAL job placement. The ultimate test of a school is job placement and Ivy’s and other top private’s outperform the vast majority of public schools—open more doors. You are mistaken if you think Binghamton has the same pull with job connections outside the Northeast region and in the Midwest, South or West. Virginia, Michigan, Berkeley are exceptions.

Admittance into many state schools can be more competitive / difficult to get into than an Ivy or other top tier private schools, but that is due to economic reasons/cost savings—not job placement. Graduating from a top tier private doesn’t guarantee success, but it can increase your chances of getting through the door in more places as well as earnings potential:

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.was...outputType=amp

Quote:
Originally Posted by kyle19125 View Post
Public Ivies are a thing and nearly as reputable in many cases. "Public Ivies are considered, according to The Journal of Blacks in Higher Education, to be capable of "successfully competing with the Ivy League schools in academic rigor ... attracting superstar faculty and in competing for the best and brightest students of all races."

They are as follows:

College of William & Mary (Williamsburg, Virginia)
Georgia Tech
Indiana University
Miami University (Oxford, Ohio)
Michigan State
Penn State
Rutgers U
SUNY-Binghamton
University of California (Cal-Berkeley, UC-Davis, UC-Irvine, UCLA, UC-Santa Barbara, UC-San Diego, UC-San Francisco, UC-Santa Cruz)
University of Arizona
University of Colorado
University of Florida
University of Illinois
University of Iowa
University of Michigan (Ann Arbor)
University of North Carolina (Chapel Hill)
University of Pittsburgh
University of Texas (Austin)
University of Vermont (Burlington)
University of Virginia (Charlottesville)
University of Washington
University of Wisconsin

Last edited by elchevere; 12-01-2019 at 08:51 AM..

Old 12-01-2019, 08:47 AM

7,726 posts, read 6,388,865 times
We all know that in many cases, "ghetto" means "working class black people."

Old 12-01-2019, 08:52 AM

17,282 posts, read 11,142,393 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BadgerFilms View Post
We all know that in many cases, "ghetto" means "working class black people."
Or it could mean crime ridden densely overpopulated inner city.

Old 12-01-2019, 09:02 AM

Who is to say clean and safe is the exclusive domain of master planned / suburban type cities?...certainly Santa Monica, Brickell, Battery Park, etc etc, among other places/sections within urban dense cities, are clean and safe and far from dirty and dangerous.

Old 12-01-2019, 09:05 AM

21,455 posts, read 12,496,874 times
Because theyre similar to the suburbs in those ways. Clean and safe usually means expensive and regulated as well. People appreciate the edginess of cities-they come to them, in part for that.

Old 12-01-2019, 09:11 AM

I agree..I lived in Orange County, CA for 17 years (because my office was there, before I got to work from home and relocate) but would often go up to LA on weekends because it was far more exciting to me than showing up at the same El Torito Grill chain restaurant. I used to try and rustle up friends to join me, some of whom used the “we prefer going out here where it’s clean and safe”...I told them dirty and dangerous was more fun and somehow wondered if I heard a dog whistle in the replies of those who didn’t want to venture north even though I always drove.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BostonBornMassMade View Post
Because theyre similar to the suburbs in those ways. Clean and safe usually means expensive and regulated as well. People appreciate the edginess of cities-they come to them, in part for that.

Old 12-01-2019, 09:28 AM

14,220 posts, read 11,517,936 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by elchevere View Post
I agree..I lived in Orange County, CA for 17 years (because my office was there, before I got to work from home and relocate) but would often go up to LA on weekends because it was far more exciting to me than showing up at the same El Torito Grill chain restaurant. I used to try and rustle up friends to join me, some of whom used the “we prefer going out here where it’s clean and safe”...I told them dirty and dangerous was more fun and somehow wondered if I heard a dog whistle in the replies of those who didn’t want to venture north even though I always drove.
It's especially more fun when you don't actually have to live there and can retreat back to clean and safe when your outing is over.

Not being snarky...I live in OC too.

Old 12-01-2019, 09:37 AM

4,087 posts, read 3,214,217 times
For me I prefer cleaner and being a safer area of a city. What clean IS BORING is a area or Core that is STERILE clean. All buildings with little street-level. May make a nice skyline in a downtown. But lacking street-life and outside attractions. Makes them STERILE not clean.

Clean and even older buildings fully restored and grittiness of the past cleaned. Is a good thing. Especially old and new mixed together. The older generally adds most of the street-level places too.

So it isn't CLEAN AND THEREFORE BORING. It's STERILE CLEAN THAT IS BORING and if virtually lacking street-life and strep-fronts.

I do not include residential blocks of neighborhood homes as sterile and boring clean. Going home to a quite block is not bad. But you want at least main streets to have shopping, businesses and restaurants life. Strip-malls will always have a stigma though ..... but still serve a purpose. Worst are those so spread out with parking and extra-wide streets. Walkability is dead and even trees are absent.

There are reasons cities got labels of sterile vs others. It really HAS NOTHING TO DO WITH CLEAN. IMO

Old 12-01-2019, 09:39 AM

That’s what I often did (drive to LA and back), though if I didn’t have to report to an office at the time that would’ve entailed an awful commute, I probably would’ve lived in suburban (and safe) like Santa Monica or Manhattan Beach....that was part of my rationale for moving to downtown SD from OC in the early 2000’s—more walkable and less likelihood of a DUI with less driving/distance.

Quote:
Originally Posted by saibot View Post
It's especially more fun when you don't actually have to live there and can retreat back to clean and safe when your outing is over.

Not being snarky...I live in OC too.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.