Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-30-2023, 06:57 PM

1 posts, read 1,987 times

Advertisements

Transferring to one of these cities. I've found them decently similar in terms of housing market, taxes, nice weather, and proximity to family. I'm listening to all opinions.

Schools?
Safety?

Literally any information would be great to help make a decision. Thank you
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-31-2023, 07:57 AM

10,062 posts, read 14,434,667 times
Will you be living in the city limits for any of these options? Or living in the suburbs.

They are all pretty different metro regions/cities.

Atlanta and its metro is much, much larger than either Charlotte or Orlando. You'll feel that in traffic, as well as the many more options available to you for everything.

Personally, that would easily be my choice due to the cosmopolitan option, attractions, size and overall amenities.

Charlotte is a good option as well, but a smaller version of Atlanta.

Orlando has a much warmer climate, and seems to be growing well, and adding nice districts and density. It has a smaller feel than Charlotte, and much smaller than Atlanta. You have to encounter many more tourists there, in some parts of the metro area. Just something to keep in mind.

Regarding schools and safety though, that depends where exactly you are targeting in each city/region.

Old 07-31-2023, 08:48 AM

2,337 posts, read 2,286,565 times
Tough one as I like all three. My thoughts are pretty similar to jj’s above, but I might reluctantly go with Charlotte.

I like Atlanta because the northeastern suburbs are so nice. Alpharetta, John’s Creek, etc. It’s one large grouping of upscale suburbs. Charlotte and Orlando have them too, but at a much smaller scale. Having a large bubble of nice suburbs is better than a small one. Atlanta has the best schools and the airport is pretty awesome since it has great routes.

I think I’d still go with Charlotte though because the city itself is like smaller, cleaner, and more centralized version of Atlanta. Charlotte’s downtown feels much bigger than Orlando despite being similar sized metros.

Then there’s Orlando, which really is a cool city. There’s no state income tax, which can be a big win if your income is high enough. However, if not you could get bit by the higher property tax, insurance, etc. Property prices will be higher in Orlando and it’s a lot warmer than Charlotte or Atlanta.

Again, I like them all and it would be a difficult decision.

Old 08-01-2023, 09:00 AM

9,680 posts, read 9,390,397 times
Charlotte without a doubt. It is safer and cleaner. I like that the area is business minded rather than hustler minded. The schools are highly ranked and it is located closer to more interesting regions. I think since Charlotte is not a tourist destination like the other cities, it often gets overlooked. Alpharetta is a wonderful suburb, along with Sandy Springs, Dunwoody, John's Creek etc., but Charlotte will like add more areas like these in the future. Traffic and planning are better than the others as well.

Old 08-01-2023, 09:15 AM

1,374 posts, read 926,328 times
Atlanta, if you're in the northern suburbs from Marietta to Gwinnett County or midtown if you prefer more urban living. I travel frequently to Asian and European destinations so the Atlanta airport is perfect but the Charlotte/Orlando airports would result in connecting flights instead of direct ones.

Old 08-01-2023, 09:24 AM

10,106 posts, read 9,963,986 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FL_Expert View Post
Tough one as I like all three. My thoughts are pretty similar to jj’s above, but I might reluctantly go with Charlotte.

I like Atlanta because the northeastern suburbs are so nice. Alpharetta, John’s Creek, etc. It’s one large grouping of upscale suburbs. Charlotte and Orlando have them too, but at a much smaller scale. Having a large bubble of nice suburbs is better than a small one. Atlanta has the best schools and the airport is pretty awesome since it has great routes.

I think I’d still go with Charlotte though because the city itself is like smaller, cleaner, and more centralized version of Atlanta. Charlotte’s downtown feels much bigger than Orlando despite being similar sized metros.

Then there’s Orlando, which really is a cool city. There’s no state income tax, which can be a big win if your income is high enough. However, if not you could get bit by the higher property tax, insurance, etc. Property prices will be higher in Orlando and it’s a lot warmer than Charlotte or Atlanta.

Again, I like them all and it would be a difficult decision.
Charlotte City is much larger than Atlanta geographically, and by population. Atlanta feels like the larger city, though.

Old 08-01-2023, 12:08 PM

2,868 posts, read 2,817,380 times
Charlotte. Atlanta felt very gross to me when I went (Downtown is far grimier than expected) and Orlando just feels like a collection of random stuff thrown about with no real central core.

Charlotte has the same economic dynamism, but is cleaner and feels nicer. If you do Atlanta, I'd do Gwinnett.

Old 08-01-2023, 12:18 PM

2,337 posts, read 2,286,565 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KodeBlue View Post
Charlotte City is much larger than Atlanta geographically, and by population. Atlanta feels like the larger city, though.
Atlanta is a much larger metro, which is what most of us go by instead of city population.

Quote:
Originally Posted by manitopiaaa View Post
Charlotte. Atlanta felt very gross to me when I went (Downtown is far grimier than expected) and Orlando just feels like a collection of random stuff thrown about with no real central core.

Charlotte has the same economic dynamism, but is cleaner and feels nicer. If you do Atlanta, I'd do Gwinnett.
It sounds like you visited the tourist area instead of downtown Orlando. Downtown is actually pretty good. If you can separate the city of Orlando from the tourist area 15 miles west, Orlando itself is really a pretty cool city.

Old 08-01-2023, 12:19 PM

9,869 posts, read 6,583,760 times
For this one, I pick Orlando. Closer to great beaches. Great Caribbean and Hispanic food. Close to Miami and Tampa.

Old 08-01-2023, 12:21 PM

9,869 posts, read 6,583,760 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by manitopiaaa View Post
Hmmm. Charlotte isn’t really a dirty city. But I certainly find Orlando to be cleaner. I agree with Orlando being all over the place Vs Charlotte having a solid central zone though.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City