Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-22-2008, 07:28 PM

146 posts, read 688,964 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scraper Enthusiast View Post
This is a world-wide phenomenon. Read the Color of Crime. Blacks simply commit more crime all over the world. Don't feel sad. Many scientists believe it has to do with the higher testosterone level in blacks, which leads to aggressiveness, particularly violent crime. It also explains why men commit more crime than women; much higher testosterone levels.
Many scientists? Care to cite any? It's also pretty silly to only posit hormone levels as a factor when there are a plethora of very well-known social, economic, and historical factors that explain this disparity pretty well.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-22-2008, 07:33 PM

904 posts, read 2,872,703 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chicago60614 View Post
I just did a cross section to see the population and racial breakdown of the few neighborhoods that contained 26 of the 31 shootings, and all but 1 of the killings.

100% of the shootings happened in neighborhoods that house 25% of the city's total population. This means that 2,126,895 people who live in the city, or 75% of the population live in neighborhoods that saw zero shootings or murders during this past weekend's "crime wave". For the most part, those 75% of people probably live in areas that very rarely would see a shooting, let alone murders.

Of the neighborhoods that saw 26 out of our 31 shootings, and 5 of the 6 homicides, here's the population breakdown, rounded to nearest thousand:

460,000 Black
70,000 Hispanic
10,000 White/Asian

The rest of the city which normally doesn't see this insanity:

700,000 Black
710,000 Hispanic
910,000 White
140,000 Asian

That's a pretty stark contrast in the high crime areas, 85% Black, 13% Hispanic, 2% White/Asian

Are other cities like this with such a huge connection in crime vs. race? It's always made me really sad about this factor in Chicago. It's virtually two different worlds, let alone two different "cities" between the north and the south/west. Even the two neighborhoods on the north side that saw shootings, the % of the black population in those two areas is much greater than any other north side neighborhood. It's a very strange factor in large American cities compared to anywhere else I've gone in Europe, Canada.
When you consider that the city as a whole is roughly 35% Black, 30% White, 25% Hispanic, those numbers are pretty startling. Of course I'm not the least bit surprised, but still, they really jump out at you. I'm really not sure if Chicago is any worse in than most American cities in that regard, though. If it is, probably not by much.

I can say from personal experience that ignoring this stuff is not a phenomenon unique to Chicago - New York does it, too.

Old 04-22-2008, 07:33 PM

1,178 posts, read 3,834,932 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Beetlez View Post
Many scientists? Care to cite any? It's also pretty silly to only posit hormone levels as a factor when there are a plethora of very well-known social, economic, and historical factors that explain this disparity pretty well.
Do the research. It's fairly easy to find.

I didn't say that it was the only factor, but it is a huge one.

Old 04-22-2008, 07:45 PM

13,255 posts, read 12,124,530 times
Quote:
Do the research. It's fairly easy to find.

I didn't say that it was the only factor, but it is a huge one.
You made the statement, I"m sure you could find some sources to back your claim.

Do you know how ignorant your claim sounds? I'm sure Africa has always been the most violent continent on earth with all of the Africans and their testosterone .

They weren't civil and rational people like many of the Europeanswho invaded half of the world and enslaved entire swaths of people.

Trying to prove that one race has a monopoly on violence is just plain stupid. It's societal based.

Old 04-22-2008, 07:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gtownoe View Post
You made the statement, I"m sure you could find some sources to back your claim.

Do you know how ignorant your claim sounds? I'm sure Africa has always been the most violent continent on earth with all of the Africans and their testosterone .

They weren't civil and rational people like many of the Europeanswho invaded half of the world and enslaved entire swaths of people.

Trying to prove that one race has a monopoly on violence is just plain stupid. It's societal based.
I was limiting my response to Scraper to present-day violence in the United States, but if you're gonna take a look at the bigger picture, Europeans have by far the most destructive record in all humanity. Is it because of hormone levels? Or natural advantages in their surroundings (ie, temperate climate, easily domesticated animals) that allowed them to progress technologically and take over huge chunks of the world, which provided them with more resources, and thus more destructive power, etc.

Again, it's a bit ridiculous to begin by looking for answers in genetics when there are so many other obvious reasons for what's going on.

Old 04-22-2008, 07:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gtownoe View Post
Sure, I'll do that. Given that I'm about to go to bed, I may have to get it tomorrow. These things, given their politically incorrect nature, tend to be buried.

Quote:
Ignorance refers to not knowing. If indeed what I am claiming is fact, which it is, then my supposed "ignorance" is merely a construction of your imagination that has been fed by a politically correct popular culture which buries any controversial topics on race.

Africa is the most violent continent. It is the only continent where cannibalism is still practiced by more than a handful of individuals. Granted it's a small population, it does happen.

Africa is also the continent where genocidal wars are common, tribal warfare is common, where governments send raiders onto farmers' land, killing them and their family in the process.

Sub-Saharan Africa is the place where, minus formerly-ruled White South Africa, advanced civilization has never flourished. Never.

Quote:
Africans sold their people into slavery. At the time of the slave trade, slavery was an economic engine, or way of life. It had been from the beginning of time, and it had existed on every continent. It was Europeans who ended slavery, not Africans. Even today, there are Africans enslaving other Africans.

Quote:
There is not a monopoly, but there are world-wide trends, and the statistics are there to back up what I'm saying.

Read "The Color of Crime". The data compiled for the study came from the FBI.

Old 04-22-2008, 08:03 PM

Quote:
I was limiting my response to Scraper to present-day violence in the United States, but if you're gonna take a look at the bigger picture, Europeans have by far the most destructive record in all humanity. Is it because of hormone levels? Or natural advantages in their surroundings (ie, temperate climate, easily domesticated animals) that allowed them to progress technologically and take over huge chunks of the world, which provided them with more resources, and thus more destructive power, etc.

Again, it's a bit ridiculous to begin by looking for answers in genetics when there are so many other obvious reasons for what's going on.
I agree with you 100%.

One example would be to look at the poverty levels in all of the neighborhoods listed...

Old 04-22-2008, 08:05 PM

Quote:

Europeans are the most destructive? That's debateable, but they are also the most innovative.

In terms of civilian populations, Europeans are nowhere as violent as Africans.

In general, Northeast Asians are the least violent, followed by European peoples, followed by Mestizo/Mullatos, followed by Africans. Hormonal levels and cranial capacities correlate to crime, regardless if it is politically incorrect. IQ correlates with cranial capacity, and this impacts poverty levels amongst groups. I'm not referring to generational poverty, if it still exists. I'm rather referring to individuals operating on an equal platform, which most do in this day and time, some forty to fifty years after the end of desegregation and dejure discrimination.

Old 04-22-2008, 08:20 PM

Quote:
Sure, I'll do that. Given that I'm about to go to bed, I may have to get it tomorrow. These things, given their politically incorrect nature, tend to be buried.

Ignorance refers to not knowing. If indeed what I am claiming is fact, which it is, then my supposed "ignorance" is merely a construction of your imagination that has been fed by a politically correct popular culture which buries any controversial topics on race.

Africa is the most violent continent. It is the only continent where cannibalism is still practiced by more than a handful of individuals. Granted it's a small population, it does happen.

Africa is also the continent where genocidal wars are common, tribal warfare is common, where governments send raiders onto farmers' land, killing them and their family in the process.

Sub-Saharan Africa is the place where, minus formerly-ruled White South Africa, advanced civilization has never flourished. Never.

Africans sold their people into slavery. At the time of the slave trade, slavery was an economic engine, or way of life. It had been from the beginning of time, and it had existed on every continent. It was Europeans who ended slavery, not Africans. Even today, there are Africans enslaving other Africans.

There is not a monopoly, but there are world-wide trends, and the statistics are there to back up what I'm saying.

Read "The Color of Crime". The data compiled for the study came from the FBI.
Where did you get your education? Apparently you picked and chose what you wanted to hear and what you didn't.

You do know that Africa is responisible for many, many aspects of modern-day society right? Oh, and that place where that we are bombing right now (Iraq), that used to be the educational capital of the world. European scholars used to travel there to study. Western civilization likes to educate its population in a way that makes our culture seem superior to others. The truth is (as it should be) it was through the contributions of various cultures and peoples that we reached the point we have today.

Greek society was largely shaped around Egyptian concepts and ideas. The Greek's used the Egyptian's concepts of mathematics, geometry,architecture, and medicine.

Get your facts straight.

Try getting your history from a worldly perspective...not just a US perspective.

Old 04-22-2008, 08:41 PM

This is getting off topic so I won't fan the flames by responding to Scraper, except to say he's got a radically different interpretation of well...everything than Gtowne and I do.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.