Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-25-2006, 03:18 AM

2,909 posts, read 14,081,952 times

Advertisements

How meaningful is crime index and how is it interpreted city by city?
As you know, most of us consider crime a big deal. My city of West Palm Beach, FL has the same crime index as Camden, NJ. Yet everyone makes a big deal about Camden(it is a big deal) but howcome I hardly hear mention of crime in WPB? Could it be the way they "count" each instance of an offense or felony? Could it be the fact all of Camden is bad, yet theres lower crime wealthy pools of WPB? I dont want to relocate to a city that has a crime problem and if it has a crime index of 400+ this gives me plenty of reason to worry! I would rather live in a small boring town that has pratically no crime than a medium fun city and risk being a victim!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-25-2006, 07:37 PM

6,044 posts, read 24,085,436 times
Camden's disgusting. Anyway, I wouldn't live in any city with a high crime rate, and most cities have a high crime rate. I would possibly consider living in a city with a high crime rate if I could live in a "good" neighborhood, and the "good" neighborhood would have to be large, well established, and have low crime. But I would prefer to live out in the 'burbs...close enough to commute for work if necessary, and close enough to enjoy the amenities the city offers...but far enough to keep away from the worst of the crime.

Camden has a very high rate of violent crimes (http://www.cbsnews.com/stories/2006/10/30/national/main2135998.shtml) (broken link). I think that tends to make the news more than non-violent crimes. I would guess that you hear less about WPB because either the violent crime rate is lower, or maybe WPB has better public relations people on staff!

Old 12-25-2006, 09:17 PM

I just heard on the news today there was a murder in the Boynton Beach mall! This is in Palm Beach County! Our crime is probably almost as bad as Camden City-data puts West Palm Beach at 900 for crime index!

Old 12-26-2006, 02:19 AM

9,725 posts, read 15,165,460 times
I live in a suburb of Los Angeles. We have very little crime.

Check out Glendale and Burbank.

Old 12-26-2006, 04:33 AM

6 posts, read 49,581 times
You can search crime by zip code on some websites. Many times certain types of crime are limited to certain areas giving the wrong impression for a city as a whole.

Old 12-27-2006, 09:32 AM

3,020 posts, read 25,726,981 times
Default Data is only a general view

That crime index stuff is nice, probably valid as a big picture.

I pay more attention to violent crime as an absolute. The non-violent stuff is a good indicator if your life will be affected. Look for places with zero categories, they are out there.

Just about out of time, at the library.

Old 12-27-2006, 03:12 PM

91 posts, read 151,840 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by denverguy View Post
You can search crime by zip code on some websites. Many times certain types of crime are limited to certain areas giving the wrong impression for a city as a whole.
and which websites might those be?

Old 12-27-2006, 10:04 PM

I guess crime scares me more than I thought! I had a dream about me and dad visiting a city up north that we thought had low crime. It was a nightmare! We drove thru one neighboorhood and branches and leaves littered the broken roads, the houses were big but broken and rundown. Lots of drugs and murders.

Old 12-28-2006, 11:01 AM

262 posts, read 2,021,749 times
The real answer is that a lot of city crime indices are inflated because of nonresidents traveling to those cities, and the proportion of crimes to the population is high.

WPB seems like it has high crime because there are a lot of vacationers/tourists in that area, so the stated population from the census is not symbolic of how many people are actually there at any given time. I bet you the majority of the small crimes like simple assaults and thefts are clustered around the summer time. If there are 300,000 people in a city like Pittsburgh, and the stated population is 300,000, 3,000 crimes per 300,000 residents would produce a low crime index. If there are 300,000 people in a city like WPB but only 100,000 stated population, 3,000 crimes per 100,000 residents would make it seem like crime is 3x as high as Pittsburgh when in fact there are the same number of people there at any given time. Make sense???

Another good example is Ocean City, Maryland. Look at the top 100 list on the main city-data page. Ocean City has very low crime 9 months out of the year when it's 5000 residents are the only ones there, but during the summer months the tourists cause the "temporary population" to increase but the crime rate is still calculated based on a population of 5000 in the city.

It's an oversimplification, but towns that get a lot of tourists/visitors seem a lot higher than is accurate. Look on the top 100 list and I'll bet you see Orlando, Pigeon Forge and Gatlinburg (vacation spot in TN), Atlantic City, Las Vegas, etc.

Also, Camden really is a dump. Extremely unsafe.

Old 12-28-2006, 11:28 AM

1,703 posts, read 6,465,842 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by christina0001 View Post
and most cities have a high crime rate
What is considered on average to be a high crime rate?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.