Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-27-2008, 09:32 PM

2,138 posts, read 6,320,313 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scraper Enthusiast View Post
In Atlanta, sports seem to be another form of entertainment. Although we do support our home teams, we're simply not as radical about them.
Maybe professional sports, but this place gets crazy during college football season.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-27-2008, 10:30 PM

7,055 posts, read 19,309,136 times
The assessment of New York I agree with, to a point. There are millions of New Yorkers who get riled up about sports, especially baseball. Mets, Yankees, millions love 'em. Millions of New Yorkers love their Jets and Giants too. Last Super Bowl here in Jersey City, people were out in the streets shouting in celebration, laying on car horns, etc. My friends and I shouted out the apartment window. Millions love the Knicks (can't imagine why) and Nets, the Rangers, Islanders and Devils.

However, once you get below 23rd Street, everything changes. It's a different city, one unaware of these things you call sports. Emo hipsters can't be bothered with such trifle. They're too busy experiencing pain. I understand a lot of people aren't into sports at all, but it amazes me HOW MANY people you meet downtown who have no idea what basketball is, or what a quarterback does, or what a home run means. Really.

In cities like Boston and Philadelphia, I get an entirely different vibe. I feel like the WHOLE CITY is behind its teams. And Philadelphia fans are the naaaastiest. I'll go see my Mets on the road in any other city EXCEPT Philly. I value my life too much.

Old 04-27-2008, 10:49 PM

9,532 posts, read 16,518,269 times
Where I am originally from Massachusetts, I don't think I have ever been anywhere that has such interest in its Sports as Mass or New England for that matter. Sports is definitely part of the culture of that region. Where I live now Portland, Oregon, although they have their Trailblazers, there is really no heavy interest in sports here. Its odd here but guys don't talk sports here, kind of strange actually. In fact when my brother in law was out here for a visit he commented he could never live here. No real sports in Portland and no Dunkin Donuts, the hell with this place he said.

Old 04-28-2008, 01:53 PM

20,004 posts, read 77,384,761 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Seeker654321 View Post
As I watch the fat morons who are dressed head-to-toe in overpriced Pittsburgh Penguins clothing mindlessly root for "their" team of overpaid athletes, I am reminded once again why I want to leave this insipid sports-obsessed town of Pittsburgh.

Unfortunately, football season is even worse around these parts. Some guy who lives behind the Monroeville Mall, 10 miles east of Pittsburgh, has his ENTIRE house done up in black and gold. He even painted the bricks on his house yellow and gold, and has a truck, hand-painted with Steelers logos, parked on the hillside in front of his house.

I think it's all kind of pathetic. I wish these people would get lives.
Is there something wrong with having passion and devotion to something? That fans' obsession just happens to be something you cant agree with, so what?

Old 04-28-2008, 02:11 PM

5,296 posts, read 6,474,352 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mead View Post
Philadelphia is a place where sports are taken ENTIRELy way too seriously.
Aamen!!!!

Old 04-28-2008, 02:18 PM

904 posts, read 2,873,183 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lammius View Post
The assessment of New York I agree with, to a point. There are millions of New Yorkers who get riled up about sports, especially baseball. Mets, Yankees, millions love 'em. Millions of New Yorkers love their Jets and Giants too. Last Super Bowl here in Jersey City, people were out in the streets shouting in celebration, laying on car horns, etc. My friends and I shouted out the apartment window. Millions love the Knicks (can't imagine why) and Nets, the Rangers, Islanders and Devils.

However, once you get below 23rd Street, everything changes. It's a different city, one unaware of these things you call sports. Emo hipsters can't be bothered with such trifle. They're too busy experiencing pain. I understand a lot of people aren't into sports at all, but it amazes me HOW MANY people you meet downtown who have no idea what basketball is, or what a quarterback does, or what a home run means. Really.

In cities like Boston and Philadelphia, I get an entirely different vibe. I feel like the WHOLE CITY is behind its teams. And Philadelphia fans are the naaaastiest. I'll go see my Mets on the road in any other city EXCEPT Philly. I value my life too much.
While I agree that sports are not as popular with the downtown hipster set as with the rest of the city, you'd be surprised by how many people in those areas actually do have an interest in sports. It is by no means universal that hip types have no knowledge of it, or a condescending attitude towards it. I've had extensive conversations about baseball with people at indie rock concerts, on more than one occasion.

I've also seen the Mets in Philly before - seriously, the stadium is about one-third Mets fans. They leave you alone.

Old 04-28-2008, 02:24 PM

654 posts, read 1,210,843 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Seeker654321 View Post
As I watch the fat morons who are dressed head-to-toe in overpriced Pittsburgh Penguins clothing mindlessly root for "their" team of overpaid athletes, I am reminded once again why I want to leave this insipid sports-obsessed town of Pittsburgh.

Unfortunately, football season is even worse around these parts. Some guy who lives behind the Monroeville Mall, 10 miles east of Pittsburgh, has his ENTIRE house done up in black and gold. He even painted the bricks on his house yellow and gold, and has a truck, hand-painted with Steelers logos, parked on the hillside in front of his house.

I think it's all kind of pathetic. I wish these people would get lives.
Maybe you should try not being so bitter about what other people do with their time and money and get a life of your own.

Old 04-28-2008, 03:08 PM

5,296 posts, read 6,474,352 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by neonwattagelimit View Post
I've also seen the Mets in Philly before - seriously, the stadium is about one-third Mets fans. They leave you alone.
That's probably true,they're way more tame with the Phillies than with the Eagles!

Old 04-28-2008, 03:21 PM

7,785 posts, read 18,828,163 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jimrob1 View Post
Where I am originally from Massachusetts, I don't think I have ever been anywhere that has such interest in its Sports as Mass or New England for that matter. Sports is definitely part of the culture of that region. Where I live now Portland, Oregon, although they have their Trailblazers, there is really no heavy interest in sports here. Its odd here but guys don't talk sports here, kind of strange actually. In fact when my brother in law was out here for a visit he commented he could never live here. No real sports in Portland and no Dunkin Donuts, the hell with this place he said.
This is what I LIKE about Portland. Parts of Oregon take their high school sports and teams seriously, but in Portland being "one of the guys" at work never required paying attention to major ball and stick sports. As my husband and I have zero interest in most professional sports (I played tennis competitively for years so I still watch the big tennis matches), that's a plus.

Old 04-28-2008, 05:18 PM

3,520 posts, read 9,239,685 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by StuckPA View Post
That's probably true,they're way more tame with the Phillies than with the Eagles!
Speaking as a Philly sports fan (though I don't care for hockey), that is definitely true, though with the Phils and Mets being good at the same time for the first time...well ever, emotions are running higher when one team's fans visits the other team's park.

The percentage of Mets fans at games in Philadelphia is nowhere near 33%; it's more like 15-20%. Regardless of the percentage, what's interesting about Mets fans coming to Philadelphia is that I've heard many of them say it's easier for them to get to Citizens Bank Park (and previously Veterans Stadium) than Shea Stadium.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.