U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-26-2008, 09:32 PM

15 posts, read 84,347 times

Advertisements

My wife and I are a interracial couple looking for a place with a vibe like Austin,TX (no chains, funky, hip, cultural, educated, progressive, liberal, and low cost of living). We would love to live in Austin, but we hear teaching jobs are hard to come by. Could anyone recommend a city with good weather, diversity, low cost of living, and teaching jobs that would have the same qualities as Austin,TX?

Also, does anyone possibly know of any rising cities that might be the next Austin,TX?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-27-2008, 02:46 AM

1,196 posts, read 4,340,096 times
Portland, Oregon

Old 04-27-2008, 07:55 AM

1,573 posts, read 5,649,661 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bigdave01 View Post
Portland, Oregon
Portland was my first thought on this as well. Not sure if teaching jobs are any easier to come by than in Austin and whether you consider the Portland climate "good weather" will depend on your preferences. All in all, though, Portland is a great city with a great vibe.

Old 04-27-2008, 09:05 AM

6,847 posts, read 6,183,900 times
Tucson is sort of a stripped down version of Austin.

Old 04-27-2008, 10:37 AM

6,972 posts, read 12,482,290 times
I hear Austin and Portland compared alot, but I also hear people say they don't see much of a comparison. I think there is a slight one but from having lived here and having visited Austin, I go with the slight comparison and I stress slight. Some of the population has similarities, but again slight. For one thing I see alot more homeless and poverty types here in Portland than I saw when visiting in and around Austin for a week. Seeing alot of homeless and poeple that seem to be nearing that in a small city such as Portland says alot about its personality and its politics. Truthfully Austin seems like it has its act together alot more than Portland, economy wise and maybe politically wise that is. It takes alot more than construction of high rise condos and light rail on as many streets as they can build to make a city. Portland seems to dwell on those two items. As far as teaching here in Portland, Many people move over to Vancouver for their schools, and literally have nothing good to say about Portland schools. I don't have kids so I can't be sure of that, it is just what I have been told by many that have kids here. If you decide on Portland you had better look into that fact, because there must be something to it. The climate, the liberalism, the feel of the place I feel is quite different. I can't say Portland is all that diverse when compared to other cities, there is some but minimal. The liberalism here is a new definition of the word for me. When you visit here if you do, I will leave that up to your definition of it. I think Portland would be considered more expensive to live in than Austin, you would really find that out on your income tax here and cost of housing for a decent place. Only way to know when you decide on your list of places to relocate, is to make a lengthy visit there really is no other way. Oregon is a beautiful state, I don't think anything in Texas could compare to the scenery here. But again though it takes more than scenery and vibes when you consider where to relocate, It takes economies and employment. Most of all you need to find out if you can take the months of rain and gray, because it is a big factor to living here. Good Luck with your decision. Also give a look at Asheville in North Carolina, a beautiful area. It definitely has the vibe you asked about, I doubt it is really low cost though. It is a University and a Medical town, those two professions have alot of jobs there. I have a friend transferring there right now from Florida. She wants some of your requirements in an area and said it was there.

Old 04-27-2008, 11:00 AM

5,716 posts, read 14,568,708 times
other college towns...

Old 04-27-2008, 11:00 AM

2,502 posts, read 8,047,857 times
Asheville. Louisville.

Both should have mild climates and low costs of living. Similar vibes to Austin, but smaller.

EDIT: Actually, maybe New Orleans too? It doesn't feel like Austin, but it has a lot of what you're looking for.

Old 04-27-2008, 11:09 PM

18,633 posts, read 27,047,623 times
Athens, Georgia?

Old 04-28-2008, 07:49 AM

23,059 posts, read 35,012,419 times
Asheville, NC

Old 04-28-2008, 01:54 PM

2,727 posts, read 5,147,283 times
Boise is often called a small Austin, but then Boise is also referred to as a small Portland too.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.