Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: States that have Decriminalized Pot What one would you move too?
Alaska 1 1.92%
California 17 32.69%
Colorado 11 21.15%
Maine 3 5.77%
Minnesota 2 3.85%
Mississippi 5 9.62%
Nebraska 3 5.77%
Nevada 1 1.92%
New York 3 5.77%
North Carolina 3 5.77%
Ohio 0 0%
Oregon 3 5.77%
Voters: 52. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-26-2008, 09:56 PM

423 posts, read 1,532,828 times

Advertisements

States That Have Decriminalized Pot, what one would you move too?

The following states have passed laws decriminalizing marijuana. Typically, decriminalization means no prison time or criminal record for first-time possession of a small amount for personal consumption. The conduct is treated like a minor traffic violation.

Alaska
California
Colorado
Maine
Minnesota
Mississippi
Nebraska
Nevada
New York
North Carolina
Ohio
Oregon
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-26-2008, 10:25 PM

6,351 posts, read 21,535,238 times
Since I don't smoke pot, that wouldn't be anywhere on my list of requirements for a state to relocate to... (Especially since I rather like living in OH!)

Old 04-26-2008, 10:26 PM

3,047 posts, read 9,033,708 times
Colorado is the sunniest state in the union so I would move there. Of course it could be 20 degrees out and still qualify as a sunny day so Florida has better Sunny days but Colorado still has more. Plus, they have great outdoor activities which I enjoy.

Old 04-26-2008, 10:30 PM

3,047 posts, read 9,033,708 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Crew Chief View Post
Since I don't smoke pot, that wouldn't be anywhere on my list of requirements for a state to relocate to... (Especially since I rather like living in OH!)
what about the impact that pot has on your community? Do you know how much time and resources are wasted on a silly weed that can grow in your Grandma's backyard? It's more than just smoking it. The Jails are overcrowded and the judicial system is backed up. Let the lil weed be free. It isn't hurting anyone.

Old 04-27-2008, 12:12 AM

246 posts, read 873,276 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by At1WithNature View Post
what about the impact that pot has on your community? Do you know how much time and resources are wasted on a silly weed that can grow in your Grandma's backyard? It's more than just smoking it. The Jails are overcrowded and the judicial system is backed up. Let the lil weed be free. It isn't hurting anyone.
As a former pot-smoker (can't anymore because my job randomly tests), and a friend to many current pot smokers, I can't accept the fact that weed "isn't hurting anyone". It's definitely a starter drug of sorts. Teens become bored with the high and seek harder, more powerful substances.

Psychologically, marijuana causes people to become lazy, sluggish and anti-social. It can cause anxiety attacks as it rapidly increases the heart rate - this can lead to a sudden heart attack for those with unhealthy hearts.

Also the chemicals in today's marijuana are much different than the grass of the 70's.

Just my opinions. I'm not against pot, but the people who say "it's not hurting anyone" are sorely mistaking. It doesn't hurt everyone, but there are many, many exceptions.

Old 04-27-2008, 01:26 AM

37 posts, read 103,596 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kidyankee784 View Post
As a former pot-smoker (can't anymore because my job randomly tests), and a friend to many current pot smokers, I can't accept the fact that weed "isn't hurting anyone". It's definitely a starter drug of sorts. Teens become bored with the high and seek harder, more powerful substances.

This is a good reason why pot, like alcohol and tobacco, should be restricted to adults.

Quote:
Psychologically, marijuana causes people to become lazy, sluggish and anti-social. It can cause anxiety attacks as it rapidly increases the heart rate - this can lead to a sudden heart attack for those with unhealthy hearts.

I think you have the cause and effect relationship between anxiety and heart rate backwards. Pot can increase heart rate because it increases anxiety in some people, not the other way around. There has never been a single confirmed death directly caused by Marijuana (indirect deaths, such as from car accidents, have occurred, but this is an insignificant problem compared to those caused by alcohol).

Quote:
Also the chemicals in today's marijuana are much different than the grass of the 70's.

As in what, specifically? Pot, like anything, can be laced with other, harder, drugs, but this hardly common. The active ingredient is still tetrahydrocannabinol, and if it is indeed more potent (as some people claim) than this is good, because people will smoke less for the same effect and thus damage their lungs less.

Quote:
Just my opinions. I'm not against pot, but the people who say "it's not hurting anyone" are sorely mistaking. It doesn't hurt everyone, but there are many, many exceptions.

I agree that some people have naturally addictive personalities, but these same people are probably far more likely to do serious damage to themselves via alcohol than pot, and it's not the responsibility of the state to manage the health of the individual. At some point, you have to man up and realize that you're being self-destructive, and that it's nobody's responsibility but your own to make good choices.

Old 04-27-2008, 08:25 AM

423 posts, read 1,532,828 times
Here we go again with people getting off subject, when will it stop?
THE ORIGINAL QUESTION
States that have Decriminalized Pot What one would you move too?
Let's stay on subject ha?

Old 04-27-2008, 09:35 AM

5,032 posts, read 12,610,547 times
California has essentially legalized marijuana. People openly smoke it downtown LA but most look like homeless folks. Since cigarettes aren't allowed inside smoking includes marijuana outside clubs in Hollywood/West LA.

Dispensaries are everywhere & the city council can't keep track of them & fight off federal raids at the same time [btw regardless of opinions over marijuana, it is insane for the federal government to go after dispensaries that California law protect duh

I attended a community meeting where the LAPD was confronted about walking by kids smoking marijuana and doing nothing. The police captain pointed out that parental permission is not necessary for kids to get medical marijuana [though a person must pay $200 for a medical appointment each year w/ tax]. My own attitude has changed since my sister smoked weed her teen sons provided when she was experiencing severe stomach pain after chemo-therapy. Also the police told us that kids or adults smoking marijuana don't get into fights or act violent [unlike alcohol's effects].

Old 04-27-2008, 10:15 AM

246 posts, read 873,276 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Widowmaker View Post
I agree that some people have naturally addictive personalities, but these same people are probably far more likely to do serious damage to themselves via alcohol than pot, and it's not the responsibility of the state to manage the health of the individual. At some point, you have to man up and realize that you're being self-destructive, and that it's nobody's responsibility but your own to make good choices.
I couldn't agree more with you.

I wasn't suggesting that possession of marijuana should be punishable - I just don't like when people claim it doesn't hurt anyone, because most of us know that this just isn't true.

Old 04-27-2008, 10:16 AM

118 posts, read 537,647 times
Federal law still screws you, regardless of state. I'm a college student, and if I get busted with weed... there goes my financial aid! Talk about ridiculous.

LEGALIZE IT.. tax it.. let it go
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.