U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Which is your favorite desert in the US?
Mojave Desert (parts of southern CA, southern NV, northwest AZ, extreme SE Utah) 12 21.43%
Sonoran Desert (parts of southern CA, central/southern AZ) 14 25.00%
Chihuahuan Desert (south/central NM, extreme west TX) 12 21.43%
Colorado Plateau (the "four corners" area of CO, UT, NM, AZ) 14 25.00%
Great Basin (parts of CA, most of NV, western UT, parts of OR) 3 5.36%
Other (write in) 1 1.79%
Voters: 56. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-27-2008, 01:51 AM

5,608 posts, read 20,729,294 times

Advertisements

Calling all desert rats out there! What is your favorite desert in the USA? Where are your favorite spots? Which southwestern state do you think deserves the title "King of the Desert"?

I love them all-- hard to choose! If I had to name my top five places/parks in the desert, I'd say:
1. Arches National Park. Nuff said.
2. Catalina Mountains (just outside of Tucson, AZ)-- wow!
3. Amboy, CA-- some of the most desolate-- and beautiful land you can ever imagine. The drive from Palm Springs to Vegas going through the back roads takes you through Joshua trees and enormous salt flats.
4. Just outside of Santa Fe, NM-- pinion and juniper land (okay, semi-arid, but close enough).
5. Great Basin National Park (Baker, NV)-- I've actually never been there but I really want to go, it looks amazing.

Overall, I'd say Arizona deserves the title of "King of the Desert."

edit: (I screwed up the poll, I meant SW Utah)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-27-2008, 10:37 AM

3,455 posts, read 7,305,582 times
Hi Vegas Pilgrim

I don't know if I can give my favorite, being that most of my experience consists of the Mojave Desert and Great Basin. Both of which, I am fond of, though a little afraid to move to a desert climate or culture.

Just wondering, since I have gotten so little feedback. Do you know anything about the area around twentynine palms and yucca valley? I have a job prospect at the Marine Base and I am about 99% sure I am gonna take it.....I dont think I am in for any suprises but I would love to hear from people who love or hate these types of places!

Old 04-27-2008, 12:38 PM

5,608 posts, read 20,729,294 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rgb123 View Post
Just wondering, since I have gotten so little feedback. Do you know anything about the area around twentynine palms and yucca valley? I have a job prospect at the Marine Base and I am about 99% sure I am gonna take it.....I dont think I am in for any suprises but I would love to hear from people who love or hate these types of places!
I've been through there once, don't know that much about it-- other than we're talking HARDCORE desert. Not much out there, really. I think to enjoy living there you would really have to enjoy the isolation. Palm Springs would be the closest "city," LA is within a day's drive, but that's still a LOT of driving. I'd suggest asking on the California forum, in fact, I think there have been several threads about 29 Palms.

Old 04-27-2008, 03:25 PM

Thanks! I did ask....twice. No one wants to even talk about it, or hardly anyone has experienced it! Its like pulling teeth! Thanks.

Old 04-27-2008, 07:22 PM

11,893 posts, read 32,938,393 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by vegaspilgrim View Post
Calling all desert rats out there! What is your favorite desert in the USA? Where are your favorite spots? Which southwestern state do you think deserves the title "King of the Desert"?

I love them all-- hard to choose! If I had to name my top five places/parks in the desert, I'd say:
1. Arches National Park. Nuff said.
2. Catalina Mountains (just outside of Tucson, AZ)-- wow!
3. Amboy, CA-- some of the most desolate-- and beautiful land you can ever imagine. The drive from Palm Springs to Vegas going through the back roads takes you through Joshua trees and enormous salt flats.
4. Just outside of Santa Fe, NM-- pinion and juniper land (okay, semi-arid, but close enough).
5. Great Basin National Park (Baker, NV)-- I've actually never been there but I really want to go, it looks amazing.

Overall, I'd say Arizona deserves the title of "King of the Desert."

edit: (I screwed up the poll, I meant SW Utah)
I agree, SW Utah is hard to beat. Zions, Arches, Canyonlands, it's all spectacular. I think a lot of people overlook it because it's in Utah, and many people are too afraid of venturing into Mormonland, so they stick to Arizona and New Mexico when they want to see beautiful desert landscapes.

Old 04-27-2008, 08:36 PM

87,016 posts, read 102,663,662 times
I like the 4 corners area; Mesa Verde, Monument Valley, etc. Beautiful country and not quite so HOT as some of the others.

Old 04-27-2008, 11:52 PM

4,552 posts, read 13,462,663 times
Chihuahuan Desert is my favorite,around Elephant Butte lake to Las Cruces,New Mexico to El Paso,Texas, ya gotta like it.

Old 04-28-2008, 10:39 AM

20,005 posts, read 69,439,584 times
Another vote for the Chihuahuan Desert. I love the mountains and flora in that region. Not too hot either, at least compared to the Sonoran Desert region.

Old 04-28-2008, 11:40 AM

1,573 posts, read 5,654,024 times
I love the Saguaro cactuses that are found throughout the Sonoran desert. Of course, Saguaro NP is a great park to experience the Sonoran desert. But for a truly incredible desert experience, I keep returning to Organ Pipe Cactus National Monument.

Old 04-28-2008, 04:22 PM

oooh yeah, you know I have been to Monument Valley and four corners....beautiful, and very spiritual feeling too. I saw wild horses there. Best sunset ever too.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.