Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: What was your opinion of San Francisco?
World class city in every way imaginable 54 45.00%
World class tourist destination, but not a great city 32 26.67%
Gross-- get me out of here! 20 16.67%
Indifferent 14 11.67%
Voters: 120. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-30-2008, 07:54 PM

4,682 posts, read 12,057,650 times

Advertisements

Have spent some time there, and absolutely loved it. Mentioned this in another thread, but was there one time when it was the Chinese New Years, was staying on the outskirts of Chinatown [was there for a metals/materials convention], and was just great. Got to go to Muir Park, over other side of Bay, walk all over the place,,, met some local people, ate some excellent food, wonderful scenery. Great city SF...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-30-2008, 08:06 PM

6,613 posts, read 16,579,554 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sav858 View Post
I did read your posts and I didn't think that you would take ONE incident that happened 30 YEARS AGO and apply that sort of BS to everyone TODAY. A lot changes in 30 years. I was born and raised in the Bay Area and all of my family is there so I know the people there a helluva a lot better than you do. I get annoyed about some of the BS I see come out of that area too but I don't go around generalizing that everyone is like those extremists b/c I know that the majority of the people in the Bay Area are not that bad or like that at all. So go ahead and sit on your computer all the way up in Alaska and keep making a bunch of assumptions about a whole bunch of people you don't know based on what you decide to read and hear......
Hey, I can understand! One time in the 70s I was at the airport in Phoenix and the guy at the news stand was RUDE to me. Now I HATE that city and everyone in it, and wish someone would NUKE the place!

Old 04-30-2008, 08:41 PM

3,674 posts, read 8,660,588 times
SF was alright. I'm over the weather. It's not hot but it is always chilly and wet. If I wanted endless gloom and chilly weather, I would have stayed in Chicago. To that end, SF is a poor reflection of the real city I was used to. A poor reflection that costs several times more.

Old 04-30-2008, 10:17 PM

36,655 posts, read 67,506,468 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by coldwine View Post
SF was alright. I'm over the weather. It's not hot but it is always chilly and wet. If I wanted endless gloom and chilly weather, I would have stayed in Chicago. To that end, SF is a poor reflection of the real city I was used to. A poor reflection that costs several times more.
Chilly I can live with, leaving a place where its muggy like a sauna or hot like an oven, getting off a plane here and stepping into natural AC is heaven as far as Im concerned-but wet?

Rain in the summer here is almost non-existent.

Old 05-01-2008, 04:24 AM

13,395 posts, read 45,017,299 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gtownoe View Post
The city has done a great job of establishing its OWN identity. San Francisco is a city Americans should be proud of.
I agree. Until I come across something better, it's probably my favorite north American city. I voted for the top choice, but agree with another poster who spoke of the subcultures, and another poster who designated it a "World Class tourist destination *as well as* a great city."
I lived in SFO very briefly, have visited it several times, and was just there again a month ago. Flying into the City is always exhilarating, and it always just seems to get even better from there.
I enjoy SFO's beauty and its forward-thinking attitude.
Easy transportation everywhere, Golden Gate Park, Art museum, the Muir Woods, Embarcadero, City Lights Bookstore, a drink at the Palace in front of the Maxfield Parrish painting...funky little details like the recycle categories at trash receptacles, Netflix slots at the post office--and delicious food, no matter how pricey or how inexpensive, the entire 6 days I was in the area.
But yeah, we could never afford to live there.

Old 05-01-2008, 07:06 AM

694 posts, read 2,651,580 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Glitch
I said it was anti-American not un-American, and I don't agree with 100% of their anti-American ideology. Their unmitigated hatred for the US will have me dancing in the streets when the next "big one" hits. I wouldn't lift a finger or spend a penny to help those anti-American ingrates.

Attachment 18857

[cue banjo]

LOL you nailed this guy ( Squeal San Fransisco )
Double wide politics aside, I love the city.
I once suggested to my wife we should look into
relocating. She pointed out the homeless, graffiti, and expense.
Oh well ... still great to visit.

Old 05-01-2008, 07:19 AM

5,781 posts, read 11,871,739 times
I voted B.
As a tourist (so it's just a tourist's opinion) for me LA was much more fun, thrilling, and warm (people and climate)- granted,I didn't go to the dangerous boroughs.
SF is of course a world class tourist destination, but I found it quite provincial , europeanized, and snobbish, I wouldn't go back there but I can't wait to get back to "lala land the magic kingdom" and I'd like to visit San Diego. SoCal is for me as an European definitely exotic!

Old 05-01-2008, 10:58 AM

2,114 posts, read 4,915,323 times
Best city west of the Connecticut River.

Old 05-01-2008, 11:04 AM

12,974 posts, read 33,953,056 times
I really like San Francisco. The people, the restaraunts, the overall vibe of the city, the artsy-ness. Its one of my favorite "local" weekend getaways. Its much more expensive to live there than in Los Angeles.

Old 05-01-2008, 11:20 AM

12,974 posts, read 33,953,056 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Glitch View Post
Nothing would make me happier than seeing San Francisco nuked.
Now YOU are sounding anti-American now. Nothing would make you happier than to see an American city nuked? That is about as Anti-American as you can get. Congratulations, you are now a member of the Bin Laden, Admanijad, Kim Jung Il, Hamas and the Taliban group as they all share YOUR desire to see an American city destroyed. Loser.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.