Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-07-2010, 12:59 AM

3,332 posts, read 3,659,134 times

Advertisements

heres my thoughts..

NYC - SF (I don't know what it is but when I'm in downtown SF sometimes I feel like I'm in Manhattan, it might be the tightly packed older skyscrapers with narrower streets and lots of street retail and people walking around)
LA - Atlanta(sprawl, shiny new cars, although LA much more grandeur of course) / Miami
Seattle - Boston (highly educated workforce, northern most major cities on it's coasts, diverse population)
Vegas - Atlantic City (gambling....)
San Diego - Miami
Portland - Asheville ??
Oakland - Baltimore
San Jose - Charlotte

Seattle - Atlanta??? I dont understand why people are comparing the two, they are nothing alike
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-07-2010, 01:58 AM

9,098 posts, read 13,113,729 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ebck120 View Post
heres my thoughts..

NYC - SF (I don't know what it is but when I'm in downtown SF sometimes I feel like I'm in Manhattan, it might be the tightly packed older skyscrapers with narrower streets and lots of street retail and people walking around)
LA - Atlanta(sprawl, shiny new cars, although LA much more grandeur of course) / Miami
Seattle - Boston (highly educated workforce, northern most major cities on it's coasts, diverse population)
Vegas - Atlantic City (gambling....)
San Diego - Miami
Portland - Asheville ??
Oakland - Baltimore
San Jose - Charlotte

Seattle - Atlanta??? I dont understand why people are comparing the two, they are nothing alike
Seattle to Atlanta???

I cannot speak about why other people said this but one of the first things I think of both cities is trees and forest.

Old 05-02-2010, 04:34 PM

3,717 posts, read 8,151,322 times
I think Miami/LA and Tampa/San Diego...Tampa is always shadowed by Miami and San Diego is always shadowed by LA...also I always see and hear comparisons of Miami and LA.

Old 05-02-2010, 04:35 PM

3,717 posts, read 8,151,322 times
If Miami had dark and cold water and mountains it would be like LA's twin, if LA was flatter and had clear and warm water it would be like Miami's twin.

Old 06-15-2012, 12:57 AM

1 posts, read 1,047 times
Default SF productivity

The fact of the matter is Los Angeles has a way larger economy than the City of San Francisco. However, the city of San Francisco's population is about a quarter of the population of Los Angeles. However, keeping it real, we have to look at their metropolitan areas. San Francisco is a major commuter city while Los Angeles is less so. The population of the Los Angeles metropolitan area is about 13 million. San Francisco's Metro area is about 4.5 million. That means that SF is about 1/3 the size of L.A....L.A.'s GDP is 735 billion/yr, SF's GDP is 325 billion. Yes, there is a huge difference and no one is arguing that L.A. doesn't have a bigger economy. However, the SF economy is more productive since the GDP per capita is the 2nd highest in the nation after the anomaly of Washington D.C. at 75,200. Los Angeles with it's huge economy also has a huge population and their GDP per capita is only 57,500. So, big is not always better. You cannot compare the productivity, efficiency, or greatness of economies without first equalizing the units of measurement. To put it simple, you can't compare L.A. and S.F.'s economies in absolute terms, S.F. is definitely more efficient than L.A.

Old 06-16-2012, 07:12 PM

8 posts, read 10,274 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by happ View Post
Agree w/ everything but not social aspects. Both Chicago & LA are union-strong & democratic [15 seats on the LA city council - 1 Republican, 1 Green 13 Democrats].

I'm not sure if there are cultural similarities. Chicago seems more european/white w/ notable black & hispanic communities. Los Angeles is hugely diverse w/ hispanic majority among every asian nationality. Anglos are the powerful money but outnumbered.

Believe both cities are heavily catholic but LA more likely Buddhist than Chicago. Lifestyles are also different due to climate. LA nightlife\ Hollywood more like New York\ Miami.

According to City-Data, LA is dominated by two races. 48.5% Hispanic and 28.7% White. Then you have noteable populations of Asians 11.1% and Blacks 9.2%.

Chicago is dominated by three races. Black 32.4%, White 31.7% and Hispanic at 28.9% with Asians being 5.4% of the population.

Those are the races that are over 5% in both cities. They are obviously the races that live in the city and not those that commute to work from the surrounding areas or tourists. It would depend on how you define diverse when you look at the numbers. Chicago is very close with the top three races and their percentages while LA is clearly majority Hispanic with whites being another sizeable portion of the populace. The other two groups have sizeable populations as well but lag well behind the top two.

I know that this is an old topic and that Chicago isn't really east coast but the topic was brought back to the first page so I thought I'd add my two cents.

Last edited by RedBloodWhiteCells; 06-16-2012 at 08:04 PM..

Old 06-17-2012, 12:07 AM

13,966 posts, read 24,011,170 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by grindin View Post
I've always thought of Broward County as Orange County to Miami's LA. But that's in terms of how it relates to the main city of the metro, not demographics, politics or income, which are pretty different.
You are correct. There are many differences. Broward is way more liberal than Orange County and probably less wealthy overall.....though Eastern Broward on the water is pretty wealthy.

Old 06-17-2012, 03:55 AM

2,346 posts, read 3,971,173 times
Northeast < California

NYC < LA
Phily < San Diego
Boston < San Francisco
Pittsburgh < Sacramento

Old 06-17-2012, 12:37 PM

979 posts, read 2,082,480 times
NYC - LA
Bos - SF
Providence - Sacramento
Philly - Seattle

Old 06-19-2012, 07:58 PM

1,242 posts, read 1,935,291 times
I don't get the Miami/LA thing. The only thing they have in common is palm trees! lol It's like the SF/NYC comparison. Yeah kinda, but IMO LA and NYC are way way way way WAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAY to massive and influencial than MIA or SF. Another one that confuses me is Atlanta/LA. No. I don't really see too many similarities here.

Boston/SF seems right to me. I had family in Boston and visited often and spent time living in SF. I agree with this. Imagine switching Oakland with Boston!

Miami/Honolulu. If people are using Chicago, then I'll use Honolulu

NYC/LA. Honestly, IMO LA is the only match for NYC and vise/versa: They are Americas only megacities, massive global influence/prominence, enormous populations, #1 and #3 GDP's on earth respectively, Media titans (worldwide), most ethnically mixed, and are most often destroyed in Alien apocalypse movies.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.